The Green Knight is a 2021 Dark Fantasy film written and directed by David Lowery and starring Dev Patel, Alicia Vikander, Joel Edgerton, Sarita Choundhury, Sean Harris, Kate Dickie, Barry Keoghan, and Ralph Ineson. It is based upon the classic Arthurian Legend tale Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. It was initially set to be released in May 29th, 2020 in the United States by A24, but its release date was moved to July 30, 2021 due to the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Patel stars as Sir Gawain, the reckless and headstrong nephew of King Arthur (Harris). Following an encounter with the titular Green Knight (Ineson), Gawain must embark on a dangerous, perilous journey to confront the Knight and to discover who he is.
The Green Knight contains examples of:
- An Axe to Grind: Just like in the source material, the eponymous Green Knight prefers the axe in the trailers.
- Cool Crown: The crowns prominently worn in promotional material, as worn by King Arthur and Queen Guinevere, give the impression of an angelic halo behind their head.
- Dramatic Spotlight: The trailer's first shot sets an eerie, somber tone by having a high, circular window let light shine down in the shape of a spotlight on Gawain, who is sitting on a chair holding regalia.
- Losing Your Head: The second trailer shows Gawain lopping off the Green Knight's head. Being thus separated doesn't inconvenience the Knight at all, as he is then shown declaring Gawain must meet him in a year and riding full-tilt away from the castle holding his own head.
- Race Lift: The trailer and posters show that Gawain is played by Dev Patel, an actor of Indian descent. While there were multiple Knights of the Round Table that were not white, Gawain was not one of them.