In the beginning, CMT's programming consisting mainly of country music videos and related programming. Much like MTV, albeit to a lesser degree, the network has also changed its focus in the years since. While many of the initial non-music programs were logical choices (reruns of Hee Haw and The Dukes of Hazzard, plus a country-themed revival of The Singing Bee), the network's programming would move further and further away from its country roots over the years ( Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?, Married... with Children, etc.).
Nonetheless, CMT continues to show videos often enough note that they maintain a fan-voted video countdown show and their own country music awards show. CMT also maintains a sister channel, CMT Music (Originally known as VH1 Country), which is primarily dedicated to country music videos. Rival network Great American Country is also more video-focused.
Original and First-Run programming:
- Cops Reloaded — A re-edit of past Cops episodes produced for syndication.
- Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders Making The Team
- Dog And Beth On The Hunt — A three-season Spiritual Successor to A&E's Dog the Bounty Hunter.
- Nashville (Season 5 onward)
- Party Down South — A Spiritual Successor (of sorts) to Jersey Shore created by the same team.
- Still The King — 2016-2017 sitcom starring Billy Ray Cyrus.
- Steve Austins Broken Skull Challenge — with "Stone Cold" Steve Austin as host.
- Working Class