In the beginning, CMT's programming consisting mainly of country music videos and related programming. Much like MTV, albeit to a lesser degree, the network has also changed its focus in the years since. While many of the initial non-music programs were logical choices (reruns of Hee Haw and The Dukes of Hazzard, plus a country-themed revival of The Singing Bee), the network's programming would move further and further away from its country roots over the years (Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?, Married... with Children, etc.).
Nonetheless, CMT continues to show videos often enoughnote that they maintain a fan-voted video countdown show and their own country music awards show. CMT also maintains a sister channel, CMT Music (originally known as VH1 Country and CMT Pure Country), which is primarily dedicated to country music videos. Rival network Great American Country (now known as Great American Family) was also more video-focused.
Original and first-run programming:
- COPS Reloaded (2013-20) — A re-edit of past COPS episodes produced for syndication.
- Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making the Team (2016-present)
- Dog & Beth On the Hunt (2013-15) — A three-season Spiritual Successor to A&E's Dog the Bounty Hunter.
- Nashville (2016-18) — Seasons 5-6; moved from ABC.
- Party Down South (2014-16) — A Spiritual Successor (of sorts) to Jersey Shore created by the same team.
- The Singing Bee (2009-12) — country-themed retool of the game show, moved from NBC.
- Still The King (2016-17) — sitcom starring Billy Ray Cyrus.
- Steve Austin's Broken Skull Challenge (2014) — with "Stone Cold" Steve Austin as host.
- Sun Records (2017)
- Working Class (2011)