It all started as a typical day for the Michaelses, a rural farm family. The most significant thing that happened being a rat that seemed rather hard to kill. Meanwhile, a team of scientists are researching a new virus that seems to have cropped up in animal populations. It seems to not only make animals vicious, but it also seems to make them able to move even after sustaining fatal damage.
Now the farm family and the scientists are all that are keeping humanity from total extinction.
The comic was released in 2013.
The Final Plague contains examples of:
- Down on the Farm: The Michaels family's farm, which is stated to be located near the town of Leigh, Iowa.
- Hazmat Suit: The people in the quarantined facility all wear bright blue hazmat suits.
- Maniac Monkeys: During the quarantine, the scientists find an undead monkey either beating another scientist's head in, or ripping part of his face off.
- Raising the Steaks: The Zombie Apocalypse came from the animal kingdom, so there's a lot of undead animals here.
- Shotguns Are Just Better: The Lieutenant holds on to a shotgun while in the facility. Even after being told to put it down.
- Shovel Strike: Helen manages to kill a zombie rat by crushing it with a shovel. It's still twitching a little afterward, though.
- Swarm of Rats: Of the undead variety. A bum in New York City is eaten by a swarm of undead rats.
- To Be Continued: One story ends with a guy covered in zombie rats.
- You Dirty Rat!: Helen gets accosted by an undead rat at one point. And there's plenty more as well.
- Zombie Apocalypse: This one caused by zombified animals. Eventually, it jumps the species barrier and starts infecting humans.