Long story short: E-Man started out as a packet of pure (sentient) energy born from the explosion of a nova. On Earth, this energy discovered that it could change itself from energy to matter (lampshaded by Albert Einstein's formula: E=mc2, which became his Chest Insignia), enabling said energy to assume human form. Befriending one Nova Kane (née Katrinka Kolchinzski), an archeology student at Xanadu University who works part-time as an exotic dancer, the energy man from space decided to live on Earth using his shape-changing and energy blasts to fight evil as E-Man.
Not to be confused with He-Man.
E-Man provides examples of the following tropes:
- Action Girl: Nova, once she gains energy powers similar to those of E-Man.
- Battle Couple: E-Man and Nova. Especially after Nova becomes an Energy Being like E-Man.
- Brain in a Jar: The Brain from Sirius, a recurring foe, is a huge brain in a container.
- Chest Insignia: As stated above, E-Man has E=mc2 for a chest insignia.
- Comic-Book Fantasy Casting: E-Man was originally modelled after Robert Redford.
- Energy Being: E-Man started as pure energy that developed sentience prior to coming to Earth and assuming human form.
- Fiery Redhead: Nova's hair is a bright shade of red.
- Living Battery: One villain was a millionaire who used homeless people this way to power his mansion (the story was written in the 70s during the height of the energy crisis).
- Meaningful Name: Michael Mauser shares his surname with his gun.
- Ms. Fanservice: Nova works part time as an exotic dancer to pay for her tuition, as stated above.
- Punny Name: Nova Kane (Novocaine) and (E-Man's civilian identity) Alec Tronn (electron).
- Sewer Gator: Big Al, a villain introduced in "The Sewer of Doom" story, is a talking, cigar-smoking albino sewer gator who wants to conquer the world in the name of reptile-kind.
- Telephone Teleport: E-Man, as an Energy Being, has this as an ability.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Going from energy to matter (any kind of matter) isn't a problem for E-Man (and later Nova).