"We're already in it up to our ears, might as well pile on some more trouble."
Piper is a machinist in Scrap Town 16. She is a scrapper, meaning she collects and sells fallen objects from the meteor storms.
- Action Girl: She carries around a knife, and knows how to use a revolver. In a bandit attack, she's shown to be skilled with a crossbow. When those aren't available, she'll use toxic dust.
- Big Sister Instinct: Towards Micah and Anna. She runs into a storm to save Micah and drags him to the town when he's injured. She also takes a risky journey to protect Anna from Doloman.
- Deadpan Snarker: She tends to make snarky comments, even with people she likes.
Anna: Isn't (the modification of flora by sarnun chemicals) fascinating, Piper?
Piper: Sure, almost as impressive as your ability to soak up all that information and yet completely ignore me when I tell you to save it for later.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She can be rather rude and irritable, but she does care about her friends.
- Only in It for the Money: The original reason she plans to bring Anna home. As she grows to like Anna, she doesn't care about the money anymore.
- Technopath: She finds out she is one. She can destroy machines with her mind, and is very good at fixing them.
- Wrench Wench: She works as a machinist and is quite skilled. She's also a Technopath.
Gee is the security chief on the 401 train. He is also a chamelin.
"Oh, well, I just read the books. I'm starting to think I may have read a lot of books. When I read them now, it's as if I'm getting reacquainted with old friends."
Anna was found unconscious on a crashed caravan by Piper. She doesn't remember her past or where she came from, and is being pursued by Doloman.
- Cute Bookworm: She reads a lot, and has extensive knowledge.
- Hidden Depths: She mentions that she can use a crossbow.
- Motor Mouth: Once she starts talking, she can keep going for a while. Especially if the topic is science.
- Playing with Syringes: Doloman experimented on Anna to find out more about her.
- Robot Girl: She is revealed to be mostly robotic, which Anna herself was unaware of.
- Robotic Reveal: She discovers that She is an android.
- Super Ocd: She gets upset that Piper is wearing clothes too big for her, because "It's all out of proportion".