open/close all folders
- Artificial Limbs: The prosthetics of Karyou, which are true demons. He occasionally loans one out to Arika, whose arm was eaten off by his sister. Arika notes that, before coming into contact with Kaie, he tried several, but each one caused severe phantom pain.
- Demon Slaying: Arika at night and with the Arm of Hatred.
- Note to Self: A necessity for Arika. Whenever night falls, he forgets everything that happened between sunrise and sunset, and as a result, he's taken to carrying around a notebook to record the events of the day in.
- Physical Scars, Psychological Scars: An unusually direct case. Arika directly connects the loss of his left arm to the loss of 'part of his soul.' That part that was capable of feeling threatened, apparently. This may have something to do with how he lost his arm, and what he lost it to.
- Cognizant Limbs: All of Kaie's prosthetic limbs are living, shapeshifting demons.
- Collector of the Strange: Kaie collects prosthetic limbs, which are also demons. He's known to have at least eight, but is implied to have far more. Less strangely, although still pretty odd, Tsuranui collects old cell phones, which she claims she plans to use to build a robot.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Karyou's physical appearance. You can even see that in some of the illustrations.
- Everything's Even Worse with Sharks: Sorrow, one of Kaie's demons, takes the form of a shark when it's not being his leg.
- Expy: Karyou is very similar to Merem Solomon of Tsukihime in terms of situation. In terms of story role and character, he and Mato are essentially Touko Aozaki split into two characters.
- Blood-Splattered Wedding Dress: What Kanata was wearing when she first became 'possessed.' The blood came from killing her parents, by the way. Why she was wearing it is still unknown.
- Came Back Strong: One of Kanata's powers. Every time she dies, she resurrects later completely immune to whatever killed her. Thanks to experiments run by the doctors at Origa, she's basically invincible at this point.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Arika's sister, Kanata, has this. She earns them; as she's one of the most powerful and insane of the Agonists.
- The Dreaded: Everyone who knows Kanata Ishizue is flat-out terrified of her (with the exception of Touma). Arika in particular would rather do even the most absurdly dangerous and life-threatening things than risk running into his sister.
- My Blood Runs Hot: Kazumi Iguruma has the power to ignite his blood. It acts more or less like jet fuel, propelling things at high speeds in various directions. He uses it to make impossible pitches and kill people with thrown baseballs.
- Hunter of His Own Kind: Shusei Hinomori is an Agonist dedicated to eliminating all other Agonists. Since he managed to draft Makina Hisaori into helping him, that makes her one too.
- Sunglasses at Night: Shusei does not take his sunglasses off, ever. Even while fighting a dangerous Agonist late at night.
- Hunter of His Own Kind: Willingly helps Shuusei out in killing all Agonists they can target.
- Hollywood Acid: Yukio Fusou's powers revolve around her ability to secrete an incredibly corrosive acid that can apparently eat through just about anything - even weapons being used against her.
Mato "Tomato" Touma
- Badass Normal: Touma has no traits that set her above normal humans (apart, yes, above, no), yet still managed to beat Kanata in a fight.
- Berserk Button: Calling Mato Touma 'Tomato' is... not wise.
- Dr. Jerk: Touma is actually a genuine medical doctor, and very good at it. She is also the exact opposite of a nice person. Her doctorate doesn't come up much, because by the time most of the story takes place in, she's busy with being a police officer and punching out monsters and all that.
- Expy: Her physical appearance resembles Toko Aozaki.
- Fair Cop: Touma is very pretty.
- Friend on the Force: Touma is this to Arika.
- Gun Nut: Touma is known to own at least three handguns, a shotgun, and a rocket launcher. She also dreams of one day running a shooting range and self-professes to love guns.
- Morally Ambiguous Doctorate: Touma may not be evil, but one still questions how someone so violent, harsh, and generally mean managed to become a medical doctor - and stay one.
- No Sense of Humor: Arika is convinced that Mato doesn't have one, at any rate.
- Too Spicy for Yog-Sothoth: Hatred and Sorrow recoil in fear when Mato Touma enters the room.
- The Fool: Tsuranui is very out there and wanders unknowingly into danger with astonishing regularity. And yet, somehow, by sheer luck, she's always fine.
- Genki Girl: Tsuranui fits the trope to a T. She occasionally seems to be trying to be a Manic Pixie Dream Girl to Arika, but she keeps getting shut down.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Tsuranui's real name is Mihaya Kinui, but you'd be forgiven for not knowing that, since it's almost never mentinoed.