The Republic is a trope with no examples and a shaky definition. It has 144 wicks and 99 inbounds.
At some point in the past, a few of us on Ask the Tropers stumbled onto The Republic
. We weren't really certain of what the trope is, or should, be about. DracMonster
kicked it to YKTTW
, and that draft is here
. arbiter099 suggested this was really a TRS action and the draft has gotten almost no attention since.
This is the earliest Wayback draft I can find
. This page has never had examples. I'm not sure how it gets wicks. I think misguided Star Wars
fans might be the culprit. We have The Empire
, The Alliance
, and The Federation
, Star Wars
has the Republic...so they made it a Wiki Word
, tossed a description at it, and now people just bluelink to The Republic without reading it. Of course "the Republic" is just like the one from Star Wars
Reading the description, I'm not sure what purpose it serves. It really sounds like The Federation but named after the Galactic Republic
. In particular, this part: "The Trope Namer can be attributed as The Galactic Republic, usually referred to as just The Republic. However, in trope terms it's more like The Federation
" -leads me to question if the trope has a proper role in our "The Nation
As I understand the other related tropes:
- The Empire is the warmongering villain nation. According to the description, The Republic is the Good Counterpart to The Empire.
- The Alliance is The Team for nations, usually fighting The Empire.
- The Federation is a group of "good" nations. It may be incompetent or weak but it's not overtly evil. It may or may not be fighting The Empire.
- The Kingdom is the hero nation. Often the underdog in a fight against The Empire and in need of rescue.
I think The Republic is intended to be another heroic nation; more unified than The Federation, plus or minus an enemy like The Alliance? With or without internal problems? Larger and less threatened than The Kingdom?
I ran a check through some wicks. They're not looking good and are mostly Zero Context Examples
. From these, I've learned the Republic is The Republic
, Exactly What It Says on the Tin
and also Shaped Like Itself
This one is more helpful:
- StarCraft: The Umojan Protectorate, which of all the major Terran states seems to be the only one that's consistently "good".
So, The Republic
is the good nation...well, I said more
I'm not sure what needs to be done with the trope. Is it another "the Nation" trope that we need to flesh out? Is it a duplicate version of The Federation? People are obviously coming to us via this trope...but is it from Star Wars
fans, looking for the Galactic Republic?
One thing that can be done, would be to cross-wick examples with proper context onto the page itself. If it is a distinct trope then that's really all the work it needs.
edited 6th Apr '14 10:12:52 AM by Rotpar