Western Animation / Allen Gregory
was an animated television series created by Jonah Hill
, Andrew Mogel, and Jarrad Paul that aired on Fox
. The series premiered on October 30, 2011 and cancelled by Fox in early January 2012.
The series followed Allen Gregory, seven-year-old who is forced to attend elementary school.
Here are the following tropes:
- Adults Are Useless
- Aesop Amnesia: Neither Allen nor his father retain anything they actually learn for more than a few moments.
- Attention Whore: Allen and Richard.
- Bald of Evil: Richard.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: In-universe. This was what saved Allen's play.
- Black Comedy Rape: Richard and Jeremy given the way Allen describes them, and he doesn't have a problem with it.
- Child Prodigy: Allen certainly acts like one and may believe he is.
- Children Are Innocent: Played straight with Patrick. Averted with Allen Gregory.
- Deadpan Snarker: Yeah....basically everyone.
- Depraved Homosexual: Richard.
- Dirty Kid: Allen, supposedly altered from his father's toxic influence on him.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Jeremy and Patrick.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today?: Jeremy.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Jeremy is literally the heterosexual life partner of Richard.
- Hot Teacher: Gina.
- Innocent Bigot: Allen Gregory genuinely doesn't understand that not all Hispanics work in the service industry.
- Insistent Terminology: It's "Allen Gregory", not just "Allen".
- Insufferable Genius
- Intergenerational Friendship: Allen Gregory has one with Carl.
- Isn't It Ironic?: The pilot episode has Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight".
- It's All About Me: Allen loves this trope. So does Richard.
- Jerk Ass: Allen and Richard.
- Like Father, Like Son: Richard and Allen are both unlikable assholes.
- Male Gaze: The first thing we see in Allen Gregory's POV is... a close-up of Principal Gottlieb's backside.
- Magical Negro: The concept is played with with Carl.
- Naked Apron: Jeremy is forced to wear an apron without a shirt on. He's obviously uncomfortable with this.
- Never My Fault: Richard blames Jeremy for his own faults, and Allen does it to Patrick too.
- Ordered Apology: The only way you can ever get Allen to do the right thing.
- Parental Sexuality Squick: Allen Gregory describes his parents' sex life to Carl and without any hint of disgust.
- The Pollyanna: Patrick.
- Popular History: Set in the 1960s with a modern twist.
- Precocious Crush: Allen Gregory has a very disturbing interest in his seventy-year-old principal.
- Psychopathic Manchild: Despite being Allen's father, Richard behaves similar to how he does.
- Running Gag: Allen insults his teacher, and often flirts with the principal.
- Sadist Teacher: Allen Gregory views his teacher Gina as this, whenever she tries to assert control to the class.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Richard and Jeremy.
- Short Runners: Canned after only seven episodes.
- Surrounded by Idiots: Allen feels this way. Julie at times as well. Allen's teacher and principal also feel the same way.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Sheila delivers one to Allen and Richard when she leaves them.
- Title Theme Tune: (Allen, Allen!)"
- Troubling Unchildlike Behaviour: Allen. The second episode is about him lying about making a porno with his principal.
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist: Allen, though its hard to tell if he is supposed to be funny.
- Villain Protagonist: Allen and Richard.
- Vocal Dissonance: None of the voice actors of the kids even attempted to sound like children, except for Patrick.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Since the show was cancelled, will never know who Jeremy's wife and kids were.