"Adventure Time! Adventure Time
Come on, grab your friends
We'll go to very distant lands
Jake the Dog and Finn the Human
The fun will never end, Adventure Time!"
(aka Adventure Time with Finn and Jake
) started as a seven-minute short created by Pendleton Ward
. Originally produced to be a part of "Random! Cartoons" on Nickelodeon
, it was meant to premiere in Fall of 2007. The animated variety show
was delayed until December 2008, but the short was previewed in 2006. As is the way of things, the previewed short was leaked unto the Internet and quickly went viral.
Why? Because it's really frickin' weird
, that's why.
Both the original short and subsequent series feature the adventures of two best friends: Jake the Dog and Finn the Human
(Pen the Human in the original short). Their adventures are nonsensical, crazy, and bear more resemblance to a group of kids playing with action figures than a coherent story... which is probably why it's so dang fun
Much like Homestar Runner
, it's sort of a cross between a children's show and a parody of a children's show. These elements are still very much present even after the show took a turn for the darker
passed on making it into a series, but their rival Cartoon Network
saw its potential and ordered two full seasons off the bat. It started airing on April 5 2010 to the delight of 2 million viewers.
As of now the show has begun its sixth season and life is good. It has become so successful that most of the crew members past and present are now getting work in most of Cartoon Network's and Disney's other headlining shows
Did we mention the creator also storyboarded on The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack
? You can actually see his unique "oomph" in the episodes he storyboards
, where there are jointless limbs, cute/scary faces and figures, and a very loose style compared to the other artists. The creator of Flapjack
is in turn a writer and producer on Adventure Time
, and even voiced a wood witch and a worm's butt. The show has pushed several of the cast and production members into the spotlight for animation fans and executives, who suddenly saw them appear in later shows thanks to Adventure Time
Thanks to the massive success of the series, KaBOOM! Comics
is publishing a comic book adaptation
, written by Ryan North
. It's set in its own Alternate Continuity
but is still just as crazy weird as its TV incarnation. Also thanks to the media, it has allowed other characters to get their chance to shine in their own mini series, which are as follows:
- Marceline and the Scream Queens - Written by Meredith Gran and starring Marceline and Princess Bubblegum as they go on a world tour through Ooo with Marcie's band, The Scream Queens.
- Adventure Time With Fionna And Cake - A comic which, of course, stars the gender-swapped alternate counterparts of the main characters. Written by character designer Natasha Allegri.
- Candy Capers - A comic that stars Peppermint Butler and Cinnamon Bun as they're charged by Bubblegum to figure out who kidnapped Finn and Jake. Written by Yuko Ota and Ananth Panagariya with art by Ian McGinty.
- The Flip Side - Finn and Jake wind up in a "reverse adventure", where they have to do the opposite of what they signed up for.
- Banana Guard Academy - A comic about Root Beer Guy's adventures in the Banana Guard. Written by head writer Kent Osborne with art by Mad Rupert.
The series also started getting graphic novels
beginning in 2013, written by Danielle Corsetto
. So far three volumes have been released.
Likewise it has gotten a few video games. (The trope page for Hey Ice King!
and Explore the Dungeon
can be found here
). Battle Party
has its own page.
- Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?!: Released in 2012 for both the Nintendo DS and 3DS, developed by WayForward Technologies and has an original plot written by Pendleton Ward himself
- Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DON'T KNOW!: Released in 2013 for the 3DS, Wii U, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and PC. Pen once more wrote the story for it and has stated the game contains "a huge reveal" that will be part of the series canon.
- Adventure Time Battle Party: A free-to-play browser MOBA.
production blog, which also features art from fans
, is located here
. The algebraic wiki
In addition to the page links at the top of the page, there are Continuity Nod
, Shout Out
, Drinking Game
, and Ho Yay
pages. Be sure to not overlook the analysis page
. Heck, there's even Wham Episode
and Gainax Ending
Now with an improved Recap
page in need of more love.Yeah
Adventure Time provides examples of: