Two friends, Ernest & CelestineErnest et CÚlestine
(English: Ernest & Celestine
) is a 2012 traditionally animated French film, based on a popular series of children's books by Belgian author Gabrielle Vincent. The film focuses on the adventures of a young female mouse named Celestine and the male bear Ernest, who become unlikely friends. Certified fresh by Rotten Tomatoes with 97% fresh, the film was also nominated for an Academy Award
for Best Animated Feature film and also won a number of major film festival awards, including the Magritte Awards in three categories and the Dubai International Film Festival. The film's DVD release includes a fairly extensive making-of documentary covering everything from initial development to sound production.
Ernest et CÚlestine provides examples of the following:
- Black Comedy: There are a number of black comedy moments, such as when Celestine waxes about the diseases that Ernest might get if he keeps eating out of garbage.
- Buddy Picture: About Ernest & Celestine's surprising friendship.
- Character Title
- Civilized Animals: The mice generally look rather like mice and the bears rather like bears and they have certain behaviors of each. But they've both set up fairly advanced societies and have human behaviors like working at jobs, holding courts and forming friendships.
- Fantastic Racism: The bears don't like the mice and vice versa. The mice live below-ground, the bears above, and the children mice are told scary stories before going to bed about the dangers of bears. Until the end of the film, only Celestine can see past all of this.
- Kangaroo Court: When Ernest & Celestine are finally arrested, they are whisked away to be respectively tried by judges of the opposite races. Their defense counsel is inept at best, the judges are entirely unsympathetic, and they are offered pretty much no chance to defend themselves. Then the fire burns both courthouses.
- Mythology Gag: Ernest and Celestine's book retelling of how they met was the actual first book of their series in real life.
- Police Are Useless: They can't catch either Ernest or Celestine and when they do briefly capture Ernest, he and Celestine have a fairly easy time of it getting away. They then spend months spending hiding out in Ernest's home in the woods, even though it's really not that far from the city and shouldn't be all that hard to find with a joint manhunt issued for the two of them.