"Oh, so you're from Troperville? I'm going there next month, how is it?" "Hell on Earth."
When a character for whatever reason hates the place they grew up or were raised in. Maybe the people were jerks, maybe they disagreed philosophically, maybe they didn't like the smell
. Whatever the reason, before or over the course of story they leave it, either to protect the townspeople's sorry asses or to get revenge, or because they were kicked out.
Small Town Boredom
is a Sister Trope
- this has a far more negative emotion involved and is often at a larger scale.
Anime and Manga
- Code Geass: Lelouch to the Brittanian empire.
- Naruto: Sasuke after learning the scarifices Itachi made and due to his unstable nature, swore to destroy Konoha. He seems to have gone against this after meeting a revived Itachi.
- In Creature Tech, Dr. Ong hates Turlock, CA, because he thinks there's too many rednecks for his taste.
- Star Wars:
- When Sweeney Todd agrees that "there's no place like London," his tone is acid. And when we learn what happened to him, we learn he has every reason to believe such.
- Struck By Lightning: Carson despises his hometown, Clover.
- Janis Joplin was known to feel this way about her hometown of Port Arthur, Texas.
- Voltaire song "Bomb New Jersey". Also, the song "Hate Lives in a Small Town" is more generically Small Towns Are Evil, but the singer grew up in one and hates it; one verse mentions him being beaten up by football players for supposedly being gay, and he left as soon as he could for the big city.
- Billy Candle from Call of Juarez hates his hometown (as well as everything from his crappy childhood, except his mother), but has to return to it in the beginning of the first game.
- In Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers, Keiss, upon visiting his home, reluctantly says "home sweet home... I guess." He's not on good terms with the local leader.
- Issun from Ōkami refuses to even talk about Ponc'tan because he ran away after he failed to become a potential candidate for the role of Amaterasu's Celestial Envoy. Even after he did his best artistic works, his grandfather always demanded him more effort and was never satisfied. Issun never returns there, even after his grandfather regrets having motivated his escape, but does manage to become the chosen Celestial Envoy.
- Kazusa Touma from White Album 2 hates Japan, especially after being away from that country for five years. Not for a real dislike of the country, but because it's the place where she was forced to leave behind the man she loved.
- The Simpsons: Homer Simpson has sometimes expressed this feeling about Springfield. In "A Star is Torn":
Homer: You [Lisa] and I are gonna write and sing our way out of this godforsaken hellhole.
Marge: But your song said you liked Springfield.
Homer: I wrote it about Shelbyville then changed the names.
- Cody Maverick from Surf's Up: "Good-old Shriverpool. *razz* This place sucks, bro!"