"Oh, so you're from Troperville? I'm going there next month, how is it?" "Hell on Earth."
When a character for whatever reason hates the place they grew up or were raised in. Maybe the people were jerks, maybe they disagreed philosophically, maybe they didn't like the smell
. Whatever the reason, before or over the course of story they leave it, either to protect the townspeople's sorry asses or to get revenge, or because they were kicked out.
Small Town Boredom
is a Sister Trope
- this has a far more negative emotion involved and is often at a larger scale.
- Code Geass: Lelouch to the Brittanian empire.
- Naruto: Sasuke.
- Star Wars:
- The Simpsons: Homer Simpson has sometimes expressed this feeling about Springfield.
- Cody Maverick from Surf's Up: "Good-old Shriverpool. *razz* This place sucks, bro!"
- Billy Candle from Call of Juarez hates his hometown (as well as everything from his crappy childhood, except his mother), but has to return to it in the beginning of the first game.
- In Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers, Keiss, upon visiting his home, reluctantly says "home sweet home... I guess." He's not on good terms with the local leader.
- In Creature Tech, Dr. Ong hates Turlock, CA, because he thinks there's too many rednecks for his taste.
- When Sweeney Todd agrees that "there's no place like London," his tone is acid. And when we learn what happened to him, we learn he has every reason to believe such.
- Janis Joplin was known to feel this way about her hometown of Port Arthur, Texas.
- Struck by Lightning: Carson despises his hometown, Clover.
- Voltaire song "Bomb New Jersey"
- The song "Hate Lives in a Small Town" is more generically Small Towns Are Evil, but the singer grew up in one and hates it; one verse mentions him being beaten up by football players for supposedly being gay, and he left as soon as he could for the big city.