Web Video: Negima The Abridged Series
Negima: The Abridged Series (MSNTAS for short) is an Abridged Series created by BlasterMaster1942, xXNeokaXx, and TheJesterking. It takes the 20 minute episodes of the first Mahou Sensei Negima! anime and turns them into 10 minutes of reference humor, internet memes, and Lampshade Hanging.A notable part of the series is the Asakura Hour, a Fourth Wall Mail Slot where Kazumi Asakura interviews members of the main cast. Questions are submitted by YouTube commentors and chosen based on which ones can be made funny.Originally hosted on BlasterMaster's channel, the series is now hosted on the series-devoted KazumiSexyChannel, which can be accessed here. Unfortunately the series appears to have been abandoned in early 2013 as Facebook entries suggest that the team working on it had a falling out, with the series currently at nine episodes and seven Asakura Hours.
This series provides examples of:
- Abridged Series
- AcCENT Upon the Wrong SylLABle: Several character names are mispronounced because of this, although it's somewhat inconsistent. Most notorious is Zazie, whose name is pronounced with an unneeded syllable (ZaziE, instead of the proper ZAzie).
- The All Solving Hammer: All the spellcasters use spells from Harry Potter. To be more precise, each spellcaster uses exactly one spell from Harry Potter and somehow that spell always does whatever is necessary. This is a jab at the lengthy incantation Negi always uses in the original anime. He tries to use that spell once in the abridged version, but gives up because he can't figure out how to pronounce it.
- Alpha Bitch: Konoka shows elements of this.Konoka: I told you nerd, the only you'll get my beauty secrets is if you pry them from my cold, dead hands!
- Art Shift: Even though the story follows the first anime, the series repeatedly uses clips from both the second anime and the OVAs.
- Blackmail Is Such an Ugly Word: Done by Asakura.
- Blatant Lies: In Episode 5, Chamo tries to explain being in Japan with a convoluted tale involving his Evil Twin, a framed murder, and ermine ninjas (told enitrely with live-action puppets). Negi, being Negi, totally buys it.
- Character Development: Just ask Asuna!
- Character Title: Enforced in-series by Kazumi, with the Asakura Hour segments.
- Chekhov's Gag: Negi draws a Shoop da Whoop over Asuna's face in his roster in Episode 1. It shows back up in Episode 2. And makes a triumphant return in Asakura Hour 5, interupting Konoka before she can tell the audience how Asuna's eyes are two different colors.
- The Ditz: Takahata. When Negi reads his mind, his thoughts can be easily summed up in 4 words: DO YOU LIKE WAFFLES?
- Konoka and Sakurako also seem to have elements of this.
- Finishing Each Other's Sentences: Fuka and Fumika, though somehow they seem to be unaware of it.Fumika: The twins never...
Fuka: ...finish each other's sentences!
Negi: And now you're speaking in third person...
- Foreshadowing: The best kind.
- Freudian Slippery Slope:Asuna: You need to help me get into Takamichi's pant... I mean, you need to hook me up with Takahata-sensei!
- Giftedly Bad: Thousand Master's fanfiction. Specifically, his Luffy / Samus slash fic.
- Going Commando:Takahata (to Asuna): Ah, Amy. Going commando again, I see.
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf: The opening is very badly sung by the makers of the series.
- Humanoid Abomination: Zazie
- Insane Troll Logic: The justification for the boob contest in Episode 4 qualifies.
- It's All About Me: Kazumi
- Keet: Makie, to the point that she sounds like one of the Chipmunks sped up.
- Mood Whiplash: In Hour 6, the final question to Nodoka asks if she's ever written names into her Artifact, and tells her to give it a try. The resulting casualties are... traumatizing.
- Name's the Same: Yoh Asakura frequently appeared during the Asakura hour trying to steal the show, at least until Kazumi sent Zazie after him.
- Noodle Incident:Asuna: And that's the story of why my eyes are two different colors. Now let's never speak of this ever again!
- Also serves as a Take That to the first anime, which indeed never mentioned it again.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: One gag involves Negi losing his British accent in a flower bed, revealing that he has a very deep voice. Same goes with Eva, who normally speaks with a very thick Romanian accent. Getting kicked by Asuna causes her to slip into a very thick British Accent.
- Orphaned Series: Sadly the ninth and last episode was released in January, 2013. From the Facebook page's last entry in March of 2013 and entries prior to that, it seems that the group involved has drifted apart.
- Puny Earthlings: Chao seems to consider everyone else to be this.
- Running Gag: "THIS IS AN IMPORTANT PLOT POINT!"
- Character development!
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: In Episode 5, Kazumi storms off in a huff when the Asakura Hour stops being shown at the end of episodes, only to come right back when she learns that it's now a Spin-Off.
- Shout-Out: Par for the course, but notably, Chachamaru's voice is a very well-done mockup of GLaDOS.
Eva: He has a magic gun?!
- All of Setsuna's Internal Monologues are Shout Outs to Max Payne. Mana's been doing it too, in the style of Metal Gear Solid.
- Asuna's practically a gold mine for this. She's been accused several times of being Sailor Moon in disguise, she goes into Phoenix Wright mode when she accuses people, and has labelled two of her kicks as "FALCON KICK!!" and "BOOT TO THE HEAD!!".
- Asuna and Ayaka's constant bickering about who's best between Edward and Jacob.Asuna: What you say!
- Asuna and Negi re-enact the beginning of the first Pokémon opening in episode 4.
- Setsuna contemplates fleeing like a blue hedgehog in front of Konoka. Also, this is how she concludes her first monologue:
- Takahata has a picture of Negi represented by Hatsune Miku holding her leek.
- Every single one of Negi's spells is now Wingardium Leviosa.
- To Death Note:Natsumi: I will take this rose... AND EAT IT!
- Kaede's voice is a Shout Out to Ask a Ninja.
- One episode opens with a parody of Power Rangers.
- Sliding doors sound like they're borrowed from the Enterprise.
- Batman, complete with TV Land logo.
- A blink-and-you-miss-it nod to Atop the Fourth Wall, in episode 8:
Chachamaru: Where'd he purchase that?
- Spin-Off: The Asakura Hour started off as an end segment to the main episodes. Starting in Episode 5, it has now become a supplementary series that releases videos alongside the main series.
- Tsundere: Asuna, purposefully turned Up to Eleven.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Usually from Negi.Negi: I need to go and make a Love Potion. Not a magical love potion...just a regular love potion. I am not a wizard.
- The Unintelligible: Makie, thanks to her chipmunk-sounding voice.
- Doubles with Refuge in Audacity when you manage to make out what she's saying.
- Also, British Eva, who doesn't so much speak English as she speaks a mishmash of British slang.Eva: You're a bloody nancy-basket whose pater left when you were a buption. You're a bobbins teacher and likely a back-tickler.
- Vampires Are Sex Gods; It seems like Asuna believes this:Asuna: Yeah. Well... Edward's Haught!
Negi: Asuna! Asuna, everyone is entitled to their own opinion...
Asuna: NOBODY BADMOUTHS VAMPIRE SEX OBJECTS!
- Vocal Dissonance: Konoka, who sounds exactly like Cartman.
- The Voiceless: Zazie, who actually stays in character.
- Transformation Is a Free Action: Parodied.Chachamaru: That light has been shining for five minutes now.
Eva: What?! How did I not see that?
- Yaoi Fangirl: Haruna was already this, but has been taken Up to Eleven. Nodoka also qualifies, although she's a bit more secretive.