Web Video / Negima The Abridged Series
Negima: The Abridged Series
(MSNTAS for short) is an Abridged Series
created by BlasterMaster1942, xXNeokaXx, and TheJesterking. It takes the 20 minute episodes of the first Mahou Sensei Negima!
anime and turns them into 10 minutes of reference humor, internet memes, and Lampshade Hanging
A notable part of the series is the Asakura Hour, a Fourth-Wall Mail Slot
where Kazumi Asakura
interviews members of the main cast. Questions are submitted by YouTube
commentors and chosen based on which ones can be made funny.
Originally hosted on BlasterMaster's channel, the series is now hosted on the series-devoted KazumiSexyChannel, which can be accessed here.
Unfortunately the series appears to have been abandoned
in early 2013 as Facebook entries suggest that the team working on it had a falling out, with the series currently at nine episodes and seven Asakura Hours.
This series provides examples of:
- Abridged Series
- Absurd Phobia: Negi thinks forks burned down his village.
- AcCENT Upon the Wrong SylLABle: Several character names are mispronounced because of this, although it's somewhat inconsistent. Most notorious is Zazie, whose name is pronounced with an unneeded syllable (ZaziE, instead of the proper ZAzie).
- Accidental Misnaming: Takahata tends to call Asuna things like Amy or Serena.
- Adaptational Villainy: Just to name a few, Konoka's developed some nasty tendencies, the twins are child molesters, and Zazie terrifies the rest of the cast (with Kazumi sometimes threatening to sic her on troublemakers).
- The All-Solving Hammer: All the spellcasters use spells from Harry Potter. To be more precise, each spellcaster uses exactly one spell from Harry Potter and somehow that spell always does whatever is necessary. This is a jab at the lengthy incantation Negi always uses in the original anime. He tries to use that spell once in the abridged version, but gives up because he can't figure out how to pronounce it.
- Alpha Bitch: Konoka shows elements of this.
Konoka: I told you nerd, the only way you'll get my beauty secrets is if you pry them from my cold, dead hands!
- Art Shift: Even though the story follows the first anime, the series repeatedly uses clips from both the second anime and the OVAs.
- Black Comedy Rape: The twins' intention toward Negi at the end of episode 9. We don't find out if they succeed.
- "Blackmail" is Such an Ugly Word: Done by Asakura.
- Blatant Lies: In Episode 5, Chamo tries to explain being in Japan with a convoluted tale involving his Evil Twin, a framed murder, and ermine ninjas (told enitrely with live-action puppets). Negi, being Negi, totally buys it.
- Character Development: Just ask Asuna!
- Character Title: Enforced in-series by Kazumi, with the Asakura Hour segments.
- Chekhov's Gag: Negi draws a Shoop da Whoop over Asuna's face in his roster in Episode 1. It shows back up in Episode 2. And makes a triumphant return in Asakura Hour 5, interupting Konoka before she can tell the audience how Asuna's eyes are two different colors.
- Christmas Special: Had one in 2010, as well as a Halloween Special the same year. The heavy mangling of footage needed to create them may explain why they were only a one-time thing.
- Comically Missing the Point: When Negi sees Eva on the roof, surrounded by her mind-controlled classmates in maid costumes.
Oh my god, there really IS a Mahora brothel! Eva: Velcome
, Negi, to your doom! Negi:
You! You're a pimp! Eva:
(reverts to child form and English accent) No, you idiot! It's me! Negi:
OHHH!... Evangeline, you're a pimp?! Eva: Yes... I'm a pimp
- Creepy Twins: The Narutakis.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Negi opens episode 2 by trying to KILL Asuna after she sees him performing magic.
- The punishment for revealing oneself as a wizard is to be turned into a weasel and fed to a pack of hungry wolves.
- The Ditz: Takahata. When Negi reads his mind, his thoughts can be easily summed up in 4 words: DO YOU LIKE WAFFLES?
- Konoka and Sakurako also seem to have elements of this.
- Elmuh Fudd Syndwome: Anya has it bad. Ku Fei has a milder case as part of her stereotypical Chinese accent.
- Failed a Spot Check: Neither Negi nor Chamo overhear sugar-high Eva gibbering somewhere off-camera or even the bystander shouting "Oh my god, Evangeline A.K. Mc Dowell of class 3-A is sucking that kid's blood!"
- Finishing Each Other's Sentences: Fuka and Fumika, though somehow they seem to be unaware of it.
The twins never... Fuka:
...finish each other's sentences! Negi:
And now you're speaking in third person...
- Foreshadowing: The best kind.
- The next episode, as Takahata is out strolling with Eva and Chachamaru:
Takahata: This scene here
is to imply that the lolicon vampire has some connection to the Potters
. I mean Springfields. Foreshadowing: It's gooooood stuff!
- Freudian Slippery Slope:
Asuna: You need to help me get into Takamichi's pant... I mean, you need to hook me up with Takahata-sensei!
- Giftedly Bad: Thousand Master's fanfiction. Specifically, his Luffy / Samus slash fic.
- Going Commando:
Takahata (to Asuna): Ah, Amy. Going commando again, I see.
- Goofy Print Underwear: Asuna somehow obtained panties with Takahata's face on them.
- Gosh Darn It to Heck!: Negi seems to alternate between "curses" like these (e.g. "Poopy!" in episode 6) and bleeped-over profanity.
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf: The opening is very badly sung by the makers of the series.
- Humanoid Abomination: Zazie.
- Hypocritical Humor:
Asuna: (to Negi) You really need to learn how to control your anger!
Asuna: Konoka, that's awful! Trying to sleep with a teacher who's nowhere near your age?!
Haruna: What kind of pervert are you, Nodoka?
- Insane Troll Logic: The justification for the boob contest in Episode 4 qualifies.
- It's All About Me: Kazumi
- Keet: Makie, to the point that she sounds like one of the Chipmunks sped up.
- Mad Scientist: Hakase is now, ahem, cartoonishly stereotypical, complete with a thick German accent and obsession with blowing stuff up and conquering the world.
- Mood Whiplash: In Hour 6, the final question to Nodoka asks if she's ever written names into her Artifact, and tells her to give it a try. The resulting casualties are... traumatizing.
- Name's the Same: Yoh Asakura frequently appeared during the Asakura hour trying to steal the show, at least until Kazumi sent Zazie after him.
- Noodle Incident:
- Also serves as a Take That to the first anime, which indeed never mentioned it again.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: One gag involves Negi losing his British accent in a flower bed, revealing that he has a very deep voice. Same goes with Eva, who normally speaks with a very thick Romanian accent. Getting kicked by Asuna causes her to slip into a very thick British Accent.
- Orphaned Punchline: A couple of times, courtesy of Yue.
Yue: And that's how babies are born. (cue grossed-out reaction from addressee)
- Orphaned Series: Sadly the ninth and last episode was released in January, 2013. From the Facebook page's last entry in March of 2013 and entries prior to that, it seems that the group involved has drifted apart.
- Puny Earthlings: Chao seems to consider everyone else to be this.
- Rich Bitch: Ayaka at times, especially played up in the Christmas 2010 special.
- Running Gag: "THIS IS AN IMPORTANT PLOT POINT!"
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: In Episode 5, Kazumi storms off in a huff when the Asakura Hour stops being shown at the end of episodes, only to come right back when she learns that it's now a Spin-Off.
- Shout-Out: Par for the course, but notably, Chachamaru's voice is a very well-done mockup of GLaDOS.
Eva: He has a magic gun?!
Chachamaru: Where'd he purchase that?
Fumika: Now follow us, Negi. Forever and ever and ever and ever...
Fuuka: (whispering) And eeeverrr...
- Spin-Off: The Asakura Hour started off as an end segment to the main episodes. Starting in Episode 5, it has now become a supplementary series that releases videos alongside the main series.
- Tsundere: Asuna, purposefully turned Up to Eleven.
- Standard Snippet: Negi makes his first entrance into the classroom to "Chariots of Fire."
- The first time Eva reverts to her native accent, "Rule Britannia" starts playing.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Usually from Negi.
I need to go and make a Love Potion
. Not a magical love potion...just a regular love potion. I am not a wizard.
- The Unintelligible: Makie, thanks to her chipmunk-sounding voice.
- Vampire Vords: Eva most of the time. She even goes "Bleh!" a couple times. But she's faking it to try to make herself seem scarier.
- Vampires Are Sex Gods: It seems like Asuna believes this:
Asuna: Yeah. Well... Edward's Haught!
Negi: Asuna! Asuna, everyone is entitled to their own opinion...
Asuna: NOBODY BADMOUTHS VAMPIRE SEX OBJECTS!
- Vocal Dissonance: Konoka, who sounds exactly like Cartman.
- A lot of the girls qualify, but the prize has to go to Zazie, who, on the rare occasion that she does speak, is right down there with Mr. Shadow.
- The Voiceless: Zazie, who actually stays in character.
- Transformation Is a Free Action: Parodied.
Chachamaru: That light has been shining for five minutes now.
Eva: What?! How did I not see that?
- Yaoi Fangirl: Haruna was already this, but has been taken Up to Eleven. Nodoka also qualifies, although she's a bit more secretive.