Web Video / Death Note The Abridged Series Team Dattebayo
L: I believe Kira's in Japan, so I'll be asking for your assistance.
Soichiro: And why Japan?
L: Because all anime characters come from Japan. Don't be a stupid asshole.
A popular Death Note Abridged Series
was created by Team Dattebayo
. It features popular abridgers such as Lanipator
in some of their episodes. One of the Voice Actors was even featured in an episode of hbi2k
's Gantz The Abridged Series
In this series, rather than trying to kill all the criminals in the world, Light is killing off other anime characters, in order to become the most popular. Meanwhile, the taskforce thinks Matsuda is Kira.
This work provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents: "I should wring your neck right here and now!"
- Bad Boss: Light is really mean to Rem.
- Basement-Dweller: L ("You mean this isn't just a clever ruse to get us to hang out with you?"), Matsuda ("Dammit Mom, I'm 25, I'll come home when I feel like it!").
- Berserk Button: "We're out of cake."
- Better as Friends:
Rem (to Gelus): I think we should just be friends.
- Big Bad Friend:
- Black Comedy Rape
- Bullying a Dragon:
- Butt Monkey: Matsuda
- Bystander Syndrome: "When I feel like it." seems to be L's general attitude.
- Captain Obvious: "Fun Fact: The Death Note can be used to kill people!"
- Christmas Special
- Clueless Detective: L flat out states that he bases his assumptions on absolutely nothing, and decides who to suspect on a whim. If Light is to be believed, at one point L was convinced that Kira was a bowl of rainbow sherbet. He only announces that Light is a suspect to have an excuse to get closer to him, and later to punish him for not answering his text messages.
- Comedic Sociopathy:
L: Hey Light, you all right? We remembered to feed him, right guys?
- Cosmopolitan Council: "We're really doing the Coalition of Evil thing?"
- *Cough* Snark *Cough*
L: (to Light) * cough* "last night" * cough*
- Cut-and-Paste Translation
- Disproportionate Retribution: Light and Misa don't want to go to McDonald's with Soichiro, so he decides to shoot them.
- Dirty Old Man: Watari, the joke about tying Misa up.
- Domestic Abuse: Soichiro hits Sachiko as a punishment for speaking during dinner, sells Sayu into medical experimentation, tells Light he's not his son and tries to kill him for refusing to go to McDonald's with him.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: "Aizawa, your wife hits you? This is serious." Actually, this seems more like an subversion to this trope because when Mr. Yagami said the previous quote, he sounded concerned about Aizawa. Also, none of the abuse Aizawa gets from his wife is portrayed as comedic or justified. It's pretty obvious that she's not a nice person, especially when she verbally abuses him in front of their children. Furthermore, Aizawa uses the "She hits me because she loves me/it's my fault" excuse that people in abusive relationships often use.
- Even Evil Has Standards:
Ryuk (to Light): You're a god damn monster.
- Faking the Dead: the Smash to Black Cliffhanger
- Forgotten Fallen Friend: "Who's Ukita?"
- Invoked by L in the very episode in which Ukita died:
L [to Aizawa]: Ukita died two minutes ago. You need to move on.
- Fun T-Shirt: Light bought Ryuk a t-shirt at Spaceland.
- Gilligan Cut:
Souichiro: You pricks will never bring me down. You think I'll just cooperate willingly? You guys don't have the balls to-(Cut to confinement)Fuck!
- Good News, Bad News: "The bad news is I spent all our savings on a Game Station 3 the good new is I sold our daughter into medical experimentation so we don't have to clear out of the house."
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood:
L: Mello, what are you doing out of the basement?!
- Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy: Soichiro shoots Light in his face at point-blank range and still manages to miss.
Light: It's OK, dad. The important thing is you tried.
- Insufferable Genius: Light certainly has the attitude.
Ryuk: Is this really the best idea? Burrying the notebook in the forest?
Light: Of course it's the best idea, or I wouldn't have had it.
- Insult Backfire: Kind of.
Light: What are you, are you a detective?! Or are you just a faggot?
- I Resemble That Remark!: "I have diabetes... I have scoliosis... Don't tell me how to live my life."
- I Was Told There Would Be Cake
- It Doesn't Mean Anything
- It Meant Something to Me
- Jerk Ass: like, everyone.
- Kleptomaniac Hero
Matsuda: Can I have my phone back, please?
L: I think you know the answer to that.
- Lampshade Hanging: "Is burying the book in the woods really the best idea?"
- Left for Dead: Watari
- Leitmotif: Ryuk has Thriller. Aizawa has his own theme song too.
- Lethal Chef: "The mold gives it flavour!"
- Like Is, Like, a Comma: Lind L. Taylor speaks like this.
Taylor (while having a heart attack): Urgh, like, oh no!
- The Masochism Tango: Light and L.
- Mocking Music: Aizawa listens to "...And Justice for All" on his way to work.
- The Mole: Matsuda
- Motor Mouth: "Is he still talking?"
- Murphy's Bullet: "You missed?"
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!:
L: Oh it was just Matsuda, something about jackhammering your sister, know anything about that?
- National Stereotypes
- Never Learned to Read: Mogi.
- No Fourth Wall: Kira is killing other anime characters.
- No Sympathy
- Noodle Incident: whatever Ryuk did to get them banned from Spaceland.
- Not Now, Kiddo: "Not now Misa, the adults are talking."
- Offing the Offspring
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Ukita's fake Australian accent.
- Out of Character
- Persona Non Grata: From Spaceland.
- Pretty Fly for a White Guy: Mello in the Christmas Special
- Prison Rape
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: Misa ("PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!")
- Relationship Upgrade: Light and L, episode 14 the innuendo becomes explicit.
- Rule of Funny
- Running Gag: "Mike Gainer"
- Sad Times Montage: for Aizawa.
- Scare Chord: at Misa's first appearance.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: Matsuda.
- Shout-Out: LOADS... Gankutsuou, Digimon, Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Law & Order, Evil Dead, Dragon Ball Z, Pokémon, Magic: The Gathering, Guitar Hero, Halo, Batman, Star Wars, 24, Hellsing, Fullmetal Alchemist, Bleach, etc. various other anime... Also Aizawa is listening to "...And Justice for All" on his way to work. Subverted, however, in episode 1:
- Stating the Simple Solution: Rem's reaction to Light explaining his Memory Gambit to her in episode 12.
Rem: Aren't you overthinking things a bit? Just kill L and the taskforce. If you get rid of them, you and Misa can go free and-
- Straight Gay: Light and L.
- Suicide as Comedy
- Surrounded by Idiots
- Take That: to 4Kids Entertainment:
Raye: We're here to censor you. American kids can't handle all this killing. Let's see take out all the killings, rework the plot (that goes without saying), insert some friendship speeches...
- Also a gag with Light freaking out over a chain email that says if you don't forward it your series will be dubbed by Four Kids.
- and to the companies suspending YouTube accounts.
- Tastes Like Diabetes: Lampshaded when Matsuda interrupts an Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other moment between Light and L.
- Torture Cellar: "How are the detainees doing today?"
- Unusual Euphemism
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Light and L.
- The Voiceless: Gelus
- Why Couldn't You Be Different?
- Why Did You Make Me Hit You?
- You Did Everything You Could: "Uh... the important thing is you tried."
- You Are Grounded: "Light! For being Kira, and squandering our family's reputation, you are GROUNDED mister."
- Your Mom