Web Video: Captain Disillusion
"Love with your heart, but use your head for everything else."Captain Disillusion is a superhero who uses his superior critical thinking powers and intimate knowledge of digital editing and effects to debunk hoax Web videos for the benefit of mankind. Found on his own YouTube channel.Needs Wiki Magic Love, DESPERATELY.
— Captain Disillusion
This show contains examples of:
- A Dog Named Dog: Mr. Flare, the flare.
- Catch Phrase: "Love with your heart, but use your head for everything else."
- Curse Cut Short: Subverted. Captain D shuts off Mr. Flare just when he's about to curse. Later, he turns him back on, and he finishes the curse.
- Department of Redundancy Department: A one-off segment in one episode is described as "Today's daily word of the day".
- Every Episode Ending: "But now it's time for me to go, kids..." followed by mentioning someone he needs to help (or hurt, on at least one occasion), followed by him leaving the set some way.
- Mood Whiplash: Captain D pauses in the middle of a video to advertise for "Knives; they cut...and they don't ask *** questions" before cheerily returning to the topic.
- Science Show: In a sense.
- Special Guest: James Randi, who helps the Captain debunk an illusion that relies on old-fashioned physical effects and not digital editing.
- Mickey Mouse shows up when Captain D debunks a video of a supposed ghost at Disneyland, claiming he's there to audit the video because Captain D said "Disney" three times within a few seconds.
- Take That, Audience!: Done a lot in Ghost Caught by Dog Debunk, where the Captain feels people were way too easily tricked by something really simple.Captain Disillusion: That's not a face of a demon in the window, it's just you being a gullible doofus.
- Take That Me: When Mr. Flare almost takes over the show, he claims one of the changes he'll make is they'll stop using "debunk" as a noun.Mr. Flare: That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!