- All-Star Cast: Oh yes — Robert De Niro, Michelle Pfeiffer, Clare Danes, Ricky Gervais, Mark Strong, and then unknowns [[Daredevil Charlie Cox]] and Henry Cavill... Heck, even The Narrator is Sir Ian Mckellen, and Peter O'Toole has a One-Scene Wonder as the King of Stormhold.
- Billing Displacement:
- Ricky Gervais is featured on the poster, yet he appears in only three brief scenes before dying.
- Claire Danes gets top billing despite not being the protagonist. The main character is then-unknown Charlie Cox's Tristan.
- Deleted Scene: Several that change the tone of the story. A scene at the ending establishes Tristan and Yvaine as a Mayfly-December Romance, with Yvaine outliving Tristan by a long time. In the actual film, Tristan is immortal because he "possesses the heart of a star", though after reigning for about 80 years he and Yvaine feel it's time for them to pass the Crown on. So they light the Babylon Candle and are translated to the heavens (and Tristan turns into a star!)
- Fake Brit: Claire Danes and Michelle Pfeiffer.
- Playing Against Type: Robert De Niro, who has a reputation for such roles like a mobster or a bank robber with a noble code of honor, playing a cross-dressing, gay pirate captain?
- Retroactive Recognition: Daredevil is vying with Superman for Victoria.
- Sequel First: In the afterword to some editions of the novel, Gaiman refers to it as Book 2 of a trilogy he hasn't gotten around to writing yet.