Peter O'Toole (August 2, 1932 – December 14, 2013) was an Irish actor. His Star-Making Role was Lawrence of Arabia in 1962.Regarded as one of the best actors of all time, he received 8 Academy Award nominations but never won. However, in 2003 the Academy gave him a Honorary Oscar for his entire body of work and his lifelong contribution to film. On 10 July 2012, Mr. O'Toole announced his retirement from acting. He passed away on December 14, 2013 at age 81 after a long illness.
- Lawrence of Arabia (1962) as Thomas Edward Lawrence
- Becket (1964) as king Henry II of England
- What's New Pussycat? (1965) as Michael James
- How to Steal a Million (1966) as Simon Dermott
- The Night of the Generals (1967) as General Wilhelm Tanz
- The Lion in Winter (1968) as Henry II of England
- Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1969) as Arthur Chipping
- Man of La Mancha (1972) as Don Quixote de La Mancha / Miguel de Cervantes / Alonso Quijano
- The Ruling Class (1972) as Jack Gurney, 14th Earl of Gurney
- Caligula (1979) as Tiberius
- Zulu Dawn (1979) as Lord Chelmsford
- The Stunt Man (1980) as Eli Cross
- My Favorite Year (1982) as Alan Swann
- Supergirl (1984) as Zaltar
- Creator (1985) as Dr. Harry Wolper
- Club Paradise (1986) as Governor Anthony Cloyden Hayes
- The Last Emperor (1987) as Reginald Johnston
- High Spirits (1988) as Peter Plunkett
- King Ralph (1991) as Sir Cedric Charles Willingham
- Fairy Tale (1997) as Arthur Conan Doyle
- Phantoms (1998) as Dr. Timothy Flyte
- Troy (2004) as King Priam
- Lassie (2005) as The Duke
- Venus (2006) as Maurice Russell
- Stardust (2007) as the King of Stormhold
- Ratatouille (2007), voice of Anton Ego
- Katherine of Alexandria (2013) as Gallus, his last role
- Masada (1981) as General Cornelius Flavius Silva
- Gulliver's Travels (1996) as the emperor of Lilliput
- Hitler: The Rise of Evil (2003) as Paul von Hindenburg
- Imperium: Augustus (2003) as emperor Augustus Caesar
- Casanova (2005) as old Giacomo Casanova
- The Tudors (2007) as Pope Paul III
- The Alcoholic: Notorious for his heavy drinking in the 70s, but had to cut back after battling stomach cancer and blood poisoning.
- Doing It for the Art: He wanted to star in The Ruling Class so much that he waived his salary, appearing in the film for nothing.
- Large Ham: His tendency to overact was legendary. And awesome.
- Old Shame: He considered Troy to be his very worst film.
- There is an interview where he said not that it was his worst film (remember that the man played in Supergirl...), but that the experience of making this film was the worst of his career, due to an acrimonious relationship between himself and the director. He never watched the film as a result.
- The Queen's Latin: Got to play quite a few characters in ancient world (mainly Roman) settings, such as Tiberius in Caligula, Flavius Silva in Masada, king Priam in Troy, emperor Augustus in Imperium: Augustus and, finally, Gallus in Katherine of Alexandria.
- Shakespearian Actor: Performed at the Bristol Old Vic early in his career and later did a season at the RSC.
- True Companions: With fellow hard-drinking thespians Richard Harris and Richard Burton. After Harris died, it was widely rumoured that his family had wanted O'Toole to take over the role of Albus Dumbledore in the Harry Potter films. He was also very close with his The Lion in Winter costar Katharine Hepburn.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: with BRIAN BLESSED. The alcoholic O'Toole and teetotaling Blessed were often at odds over their friendship that spanned six decades, even physically fighting on occasion, but they remained great friends.