Peter O'Toole (August 2, 1932 — December 14, 2013) was an Irish actor. His Star-Making Role
was Lawrence of Arabia
Regarded as one of the best actors of all time, he received 8 Academy Award
nominations but never won
. However, in 2003 the Academy gave him a Honorary Oscar
for his entire body of work and his lifelong contribution to film. On 10 July 2012, Mr. O'Toole announced his retirement from acting. He passed away on December 14, 2013 at age 81 after a long illness.
- The Alcoholic: Notorious for his heavy drinking in the 70s, but had to cut back after battling stomach cancer and blood poisoning.
- Large Ham: His tendency to overact is legendary. And awesome.
- Old Shame: He considers Troy to be his very worst film.
- There is an interview where he said not that it was his worst film, but that the experience of making this film was the worst of his career, due to an acrimonious relationship between himself and the director. He also said that he's never watched the film as a result.
- Shakespearian Actor: Performed at the Bristol Old Vic early in his career and later did a season at the RSC.
- True Companions: With fellow hard-drinking thespians Richard Harris and Richard Burton. After Harris died, it was widely rumoured that his family had wanted O'Toole to take over the role of Albus Dumbledore in the Harry Potter films. He was also very close with his Lion in Winter costar Katharine Hepburn.