Played by: Charlie CoxThe protagonist.
- Action Hero: In the climax.
- Adaptation Name Change: Originally Tristran in the novel, but changed to the more conventional sounding Tristan for the film.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Shakespeare gives his hair extensions when he starts his training with the pirates and he takes a level in badass.
- Nice Guy: Despite the incredible Belligerent Sexual Tension between Yvaine and his rude behaviour toward her (of course, she doesn't make things any easier), Tristan is a very sweet and romantic guy.
- Snark-to-Snark Combat: With Yvaine.
- The Reveal: He's the son of Princess Una, and therefore an heir to the throne of Stormhold. Everyone (barring Una) was completely unaware of this fact until the end of the movie... after all of Tristan's uncles have been killed, making him the only remaining heir and therefore the new king of Stormhold.
- Took A Level In Bad Ass: Halfway through the movie when he gets training from Captain Shakespeare and his crew.
Played by: Claire Danes
- Break the Haughty: A large majority of the movie is this for Yvaine.
- Deadpan Snarker: For a star who spent most of her life by herself in the sky, she sure can be quite snarky.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Initially is very cold and rude to Tristan, but eventually warms up to him and even falls in love with him.
- Fish out of Water: She is quite naive and not exactly well-versed in human behaviour; for example she has no idea what a massage is.
- Power Glows: Her ability to shine when she's happy. However, it's more for than just aesthetic purposes, as Yvaine completely vaporises Lamia when she really shines.
- The Power of Love: What allows her to defeat Lamia.
- Snarkto Snark Combat: With Tristan.
- Stars Are Souls: And in this case people, when they fall to Earth.
Played by: Michelle PfeifferThe main antagonist
- Big Bad
- Evil Brit
- The Hecate Sisters: Takes the role of the Maiden, as she is the most active and outwardly youthful of her sisters.
- Hot Witch: When she regains some of her youth at the beginning of the film.
- Shoulders-Up Nudity: When she becomes young, she drops her robe and looks at herself in the mirror. But not without giving the audience a sexy look as she does so.
- Technicolor Fire: Her magic manifests as green flame.
- Vain Sorceress: Her main goal in the film is to eat Yvaine's heart to completely restore her youth and beauty.
- Wicked Witch: Duh.
Played by: Mark Strong
- Big Bad Duumvirate: With Lamia. At least, until Lamia kills him off and takes her status as the sole Big Bad. However, his goals initially do not clash with Tristans, and they team up to take on the witches.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Ultimately proves no match for Lamia and her sisters, as they easily finish him off and turn him into an undead puppet.
- Pet the Dog: A minor one, but he does offer to let Primus live if he does not pursue the stone, something unheard of in Stormhold history.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
- Evil Brit
Played by: Robert De Niro
- Camp Gay
- Jerkass Fašade: He pretends to be tough and threatening in front of his crew, but is secretly Camp Gay and quite a nice guy.
- Large Ham: You can tell Robert De Niro had fun playing this role.
- The Obi-Wan: He teaches Tristen to fight.(impressed) "Touche."
Played by: Sienna Miller
- It's All About Me
- Romantic False Lead: Given her unpleasant behaviour and stringing Tristan along and that she's in less than five scenes for the whole movie, it's quite obvious she's this for Tristan.
- Satellite Love Interest: Tristan would do absolutely anything to win her heart, though she's due to marry another man. And that's pretty much all we know about her. As his relationship with Yvaine the fallen star grows, Yvaine even points out that she's not exactly proving her love to him the way he is to her... and eventually, he figures this out himself and dumps her for Yvaine.
Played by: Jason Flemyng
- Badass Beard
- Blue Blood: The first born son of Stormhold's king. Also turns out to be a literal example of the trope when he gets his throat cut by Lamia.
- Fiery Redhead
- Nice Guy: While still a bit snooty, he is friendly and welcoming to Tristan.
- Too Dumb to Live
Played by: Rupert Everett
- Decoy Protagonist: He enters his dying father's bedroom to heroic music, tosses his hair... and is pushed out of the window by Septimus.
- Prince Charming
Played by: Mark Heap
- Death by Sex: In the book, he dies having sex with a prostitute.
Played by: Ricky Gervais
Played by: Henry Cavill
Empusa and Mormo
Played by: Sarah Alexander and Joanna Scanlan
- The Beastmaster: Mormo's main power. Though unfortunately, the animals eventually turn against her and maul her to death.
- The Hecate Sisters: Mormo takes the role of the Matron as she is rather plump and motherly-looking while Empusa takes the role of the Crone, as she is more spindly in appearance and seems the most bitter and sarcastic of the three.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Empusa gets stabbed through the chest by Septimus.
- Playing with Fire: Empusa's specialty.