Recap: South Park S 1 E 2 Weight Gain 4000
Cartman wins an essay contest over Wendy Testaburger and uses a dangerous, muscle-building protein powder to get in shape. Meanwhile, the Mayor wants to use the publicity from Kathie Lee's visit to South Park to get out of the "pissant, white-bread mountain town" and further up the political ladder, and Mr. Garrison plots his revenge against Kathie Lee Gifford.
This episode contains examples of:
- 0% Approval Rating: Mr. Garrison's exclamation of "To Hell with Kathie Lee Gifford!" during rehearsal of the school's play (in which he has the pioneers attacking the Indians savagely) is met with boos and a dismissal from directing the play.
- Abnormal Limb Rotation Range: Mr. Hat's head rotates as he exclaims, "KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLL!"
- Ax-Crazy: Mr. Hat, who convinces Mr. Garrison to kill Kathie Lee as revenge.
- Did I Just Say That Out Loud?: Mr. Garrison when he exclaims "To Hell with Kathie Lee Gifford!" right in public.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Mr. Hat's attempt to kill Kathie Lee for outdoing him in a talent show when they were kids.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Bebe wears an entirely pink jacket instead of the red and gray one that she's usually known to wear.
- Stan, Wendy, and Kyle actually showing concern for Mr. Garrison's mental well-being (even going so far as having Stan and Kyle visit him in the mental hospitalnote and say, "We hope you can come back to school real soon, Mr. Garrison" without any irony or sarcasm in their voice). In the later episodes, none of the kids would give a crap.
- Eskimos Aren't Real: Cartman seems to confuse Eskimos with dolphins. To him it's all just "a bunch of tree-hugging hippie crap."
- Establishing Character Moment: This episode establishs Kyle's bullying Cartman all the time that still exists in the latest episodes.
- Intercourse with You: Chef's song to Kathie Lee, which he gets at the end of the episode.
- Kids Are Cruel: Kyle does nothing but hurl abuse at Cartman as he gains weight.
- Plagiarism In Fiction: Cartman's essay turns out to be Walden with Henry David Thoreau's name crossed out.
- Police Are Useless: Officer Barbrady tells Mr. Garrsion (armed with a gun, which he compliments) where to get "a good, clear shot—er, view of Kathie Lee", and confiscates a camera from a fan, telling him, "No pictures of Kathie Lee!" Later on, Stan tells Barbrady that Mr. Garrison is going to kill Kathie Lee. Barbrady flashes back to himself telling Mr. Garrison to go to the book depository, but then acts like Mr. Garrison "could be anywhere!" Immediately after Barbrady rushes off to issue an APB, Stan and Wendy find out on their own where Mr. Garrison is.
- Shout-Out: Mr. Garrison uses the "You talkin' to me?!" scene from Taxi Driver to decide whether he has the right gun.
- Mr.Hat then uses the "I would have gotten away with it if not for you meddling kids." from Scooby-Doo when Barbrady arrests him.
- Strange Minds Think Alike: Cartman's belief that dolphins live in igloos seems to be shared by Mr. Garrison, judging from his comment on Wendy's essay.
- Temporary Bulk Change: Cartman takes Weight Gain 4000 and winds up incredibly obese to the point that he looks like Jabba the Hutt and is unaware that he's gained weight. He's back to his typical weight the next episode.
- The Theme Park Version: The Mayor finds Mr. Garrison's depiction of the history of South Park adorable... until the kids portraying the pioneers enter and attack the kids portraying the natives brutally.
Mayor: Mr. Garrison, we can not have our children beating each other senseless in front of Kathie Lee Gifford.
Mr. Garrison: Well, what do you want? This is how it happened in those days.
- They Killed Kenny Again: When Mr. Hat takes a shot at Kathy Lee Gifford, the bullet hits Kenny and sends him flying. Kenny lands on a flagpole, where he's impaled in the head.
- You Meddling Kids:
Officer Barbrady: Thought you could get away with it, eh Mr. Hat?
Mr. Hat: (casually) Well, I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids.