Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 05 E 20 Radar Secret Service
Films watched: Last Clear Chance (short) and Radar Secret ServiceDr. Forrester makes much of Radar Secret Service containing "Hypno-Helio-Static-Stasis" — which basically translates into lots of padding and boring, identical men in boring, identical suits.
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation of Radar Secret Service includes examples of:
- Bedsheet Ladder: Mike attempts to escape by fashioning one of these (long enough to reach from the SOL to Earth) from the Bots' unmentionables.Gypsy: (gasping) MY BRA!
- Berserk Button:
- Don't screw with Crow's underoos.
- At the end of the experiment, TV's Frank looks like he's about to push Dr. F's Berserk Button big time... then the bad Doctor gets the joke, and The Mads walk off into background, chuckling away, with Dr. Forrester pressing the button as he goes.
- Continuity Nod:
- Among the items Mike confiscates for his Bedsheet Ladder are Crow's sensible brown pants.
- While describing Hypno-Helio-Static-Statis, the Mads mention "rock climbing" and "deep hurting".
- A subversion when Forrester threatens Mike by asking him if he remembers "Rock Climbing" and "Deep Hurting". Joel was on the S.O.L., not Mike, for those experiments.
- "But there was no monster."
- "Noooo waffles!"
- "Are you happy, in your work?"
- Herr Doktor: Frank as Dr. Felix Frankenkeister. Ya ya.
- Hurricane of Puns: When the film shows a back of a car.Mike: Hey, Freddy Fender!
Crow: Otto Preminger!Servo: James Carville!
Mike: Harrison Ford!
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping/Paper-Thin Disguise: TV's Frank—er, Dr. Felix Frankenkeister.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Frank's obviously fake beard while explaining "Hypno Helio Static Stasis".
- Running Gag: "Why don't they look?"
- (whispered) Radar!
- With Lyrics: "(Bum) Oh, those Golden Grahams!"
- During the entire experiment, Mike and the 'Bots discuss Welcome Back, Kotter trivia. (And in the opening segment, Crow becomes Arnold Horshack.)
- Calling out advertising slogans for various round objects ("Round things; 90% off round things") when the Radar Secret Service's radar car is on screen.
- Jokes about how the various characters are indistinguishable from each other, leaving Mike and the 'Bots confused ("I thought that woman was supposed to be that woman!")Mike: (during brawl between cop and mobster) I'm dull!
Servo: No, I'm way duller!
Mike: Oh, okay — name my character!
Servo: Gee, um, duh — I can't!
Mike: See! See! Now, which one of us is the good guy?
Servo: I don't know, I don't know! Who am I?!?
- Sanity Slippage: Crow, big time. After Mike puts Crow's torn Underoos in his net, he starts chanting, "Panties! Panties!", then giggles like a little girl and coos, "I got 'em! Hee hee hee!"
- Shout-Out: Dr. Felix Frankenhooker tries to explain "Hypno Helio Static Stasis" to Dr. Forrester.
- Sick and Wrong: Gypsy comments, "This is wrong" while Mike applies underwear to Crow to keep him calm, as Crow giddily says, "Keep 'em coming!"
- Stock Footage:Mike: Duplicate shots, with radar. Yes, thanks to radar, we only needed to shoot three scenes!
- Suspiciously Specific Denial:Servo: MY PANTY HOSE! (beat) I mean, what are those?
- Unusual Euphemism: As mobster Moran's girl blows him off while Michael, the mastermind of the heist, promises to pick her up that evening,Crow:(as Michael) It's not the radar, it's the size of the amplitude — if you know what I mean.
- Use Your Head: Crow tries this on The Mads' button... and his right eye pops out for all his troubles.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: The fate of Sid Melton's character (if there was one) is not shown in the MST3K edit. Crow has his own theory:Crow: (As the gangsters load boxes of atomic material in a truck) Each box contains a piece of Sid Melton.
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation of Last Clear Chance contains examples of:
- Ambiguously Gay:Mike: Hey, my Advocate is here!
- Berserk Button: Tom Servo (as Hal) has just about had enough of the stupid general public.
- Black Comedy:Crow: Could you identify this bucketful of your brother?
- Car Fu:Servo (as motorist who looks like Henry Kissinger): Ach, Mister President, please watch where you're going!Crow: Whoa, almost ran over Kissinger! I'll have to go back.
- Distracted by the Sexy: "Forty percent of all accidents are caused by women's hinders." "Rrr!"
- If You Die, I Call Your Stuff: Just before the kid becomes street pizza, Servo calls out "Can I have your room?".
- Sanity SlippageHal: DON'T tell me that you were speeding a LITTLE, only BREAKING the law a LITTLE...
Servo: Uh, oh...
Hal: ...only doing something a LITTLE bit wrong, save THAT for somebody else, BROTHER!
Crow: OH MY GOD, HE'S SNAPPED!
Hal: Because I've seen too many "litte bit" follies...
Servo: He's a bad cop on the loose!
- Shout-Out: "It's Big Daddy's birthday! I've got life in me, Big Daddy!"
- Too Dumb to Live: Frank and his girl looking backwards to wave at his brother as they approach a railroad crossing:Servo: "Hey, the cop never said anything about doing intensely stupid things!"
- The Untwist Crow: I have a feeling one of these characters is about to see their own intestines.
- Women Drivers: Used as the punchline for another joke about another safety hazard. The actual issue was that the woman was reading a map instead of paying attention to where she was driving.