Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 02 E 08 Lost Continent
Lost Continent? I've lost my keys once, but that's ridiculous!
Film watched: Lost Continent
Robert Lippert also served as a producer on several other films featured on the show including Rocketship X-M
, Radar Secret Service
, and Jungle Goddess
(sometimes credited as a "presenter").
- Joel gives a pep talk to the Bots in anticipation for this week's experiment.
- Frank shows his invention, a moving treadmill, a stationary stairmaster and floating rowing machine. Dr. Forrester, excited for rock climbing, sends Joel to the theater before he had a chance to present. At the theater, Crow and Servo were waiting for him.
- Hugh Beaumont, in a house shaped spaceship, tells Joel and the Bots that he will bring fourth the apocalypse, and for them to cut the movie some slack.
- Joel, Crow and Servo present The Explorers, about a white explorer in a strange land. Things go awry as Joel goes out of character to exposit about the message of the sketch.
- Joel and the Bots are amazed by the cool thing. Dr. Forrester is not, but Frank is.
- Joel, Servo and Crow, channeling their inner cinema geeks, give tidbits about the cast and crew of Lost Continent. The Mads are distraught over the failure of rock climbing, especially Dr. Forrester.
The MST3K treatment provides examples of:
- Actor Allusion: A subtle one for Cesar Romero when Joel mentions him getting his "clown suit."
Boredom EXCRUCIATING PAIN Montage
- Call Back: Jungle Goddess had a similar "tropical rain forest" setting, and this becomes a running gag.
- Hypocritical Humor: As the bots are freaking out over more rock climbing.
Joel: C'mon. Hey you guys, calm down. Hey, it's only a movie, we can handle it, okay?
Servo: Okay, I guess you're right.
: WHO ARE YOU, WHERE ARE WE? CAN WE GET A FRAME OF REFERENCE OR SOMETHING? PLEASE!
- Mighty Whitey: Subverted. Joel tries to do another skit about the "Superior White Man In Africa" (similar to "My White Goddess" from Jungle Goddess), but the bots refuse to cooperate. The sketch degenerates into Joel's character explaining the Unfortunate Implications of You No Take Candle before swerving into the last act of a murder mystery on a flimsy pretext.
- Not Now Crow
- Not So Stoic: At around hour 28 of the rock climbing sequence, the usually-composed Joel starts shouting at the screen.
: This film makes Shoah
look like a two-reeler.
- Running Gag
- "Did you ever fly/crash/die in one of these things?"
- "I always said I was never going to die in a plane, but now I'm very excited about it."
- I can see my house from here!
- The Unseen: The "Cool Thing".
- Take Our Word for It: Inverted; we never see the cool thing and they never describe it more elaborately than "cool!", but it became the subject of a write-in contest where viewers could come up with their own ideas.
- Finally revealed by the cast at the end of the episode with Fugitive Alien: it's Mexican Stoplight Candy.