Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 07 E 06 Laserblast
Film watched: LaserblastLaserblast was featured on MST3K in what would be the last episode of its final season on Comedy Central (before moving to the Sci-Fi Channel). As such, the MST3K episode itself was something of a series finale as the staff wasn't sure it would be saved from cancellation. It also marked the final episode with Trace Beaulieu, who portrayed both longtime nemesis Dr. Forrester and the voice of Crow T. Robot.
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation contains examples of:
- Adorkable : We get this side to Tom Servo with this line. If this fact about him isn't cute, I don't know what is:"What's [Mike (dressed as Janeway)] doing with my toy phone?
- Aerith and Bob: "Good shooting, Xanthar!" "Thanks, Denise."
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: Mike and the 'bots become pure energy after reaching the end of the universe.
- Bound and Gagged: Mike, by the Bots in the opening segment.
- Celebrity Resemblance: One of the deputies looks a bit like a fatter version of Hank Williams, Jr.. The MST crew do NOT let this go without comment, see Running Gag, below.
- Continuity Nod: When some guys start chasing Billy in a small airplane:Mike: This is so Coleman Francis right now.Crow: "I'm Cherokee Jack!"Servo: "Red Zone Cuba III: The Destruction of Cherokee Jack".
- Cowboy Bebop at His Computer: The MST3K crew's summary of the episode claims that while shutting down operations on Deep 13, Dr. Forrester tells the SOL crew that the satellite will drift through space and probably fall into a black hole, while in the actual episode, he instead tells them that its orbit will decay in two hours, and Mike and the bots will die in a crash landing. Servo then makes the satellite drift into space himself, and that's the last the SOL crew hears from Forrester. The mistake is likely related to the staff having written the Season 7 summaries many years after the broadcast and trying to do them from memory, as opposed to the other summaries which were written during the show's production.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Invoked by Crow as a Running Gag, comparing Billy's drab The Stoner teenage life with Mike's.
- Expy: MONAD, a parody of Star Trek: The Original Series' NOMAD.
- Fun with Acronyms: "Hey, Ford stands for Fix Or Repair Daily."
- I Lied: After Forrester tells Mike and the 'bots he's going to cut the SOL loose, sending them to their deaths:Mike: You can't do that! We've done everything you've ever asked! We watched every bad movie you sent up here!
Forrester: Sorry. Buh-bye.
Crow: You said you'd let us get back to Earth!
Forrester: Did I say that? Hmmm. Well, maybe I did. What do you want? I'm evil!
- Lady Looks L Ike A Dude: Pearl is dressed as a trucker, stating she's happy she never sold the "big rig". The Colossal Guide states that she resembles what cigarette companies call a "virile female".
- Logic Bomb: Subverted: Mike and the 'bots try to disable MONAD with one of these but it doesn't work. So they simply throw him out the airlock, though not before taunting him over it until he cries.
- Mission Control: Mike takes on this role — headset, coffee, cigarettes and all — while walking the 'bots through changing a space baby's diaper.
- Mundane Made Awesome: "I'm gonna drink the hell out of this Coke!"
- Oral Fixation
- Real-Life Relative: Trace Beaulieu's father played the elderly Dr. Forrester.
- Running Gag:
- Crow comparing Billy's life to Mike's youth.
- "Are you ready for some FOOTBALL?"
- References to Leonard Maltin's 2½-star review of the movie, culminating in the 'bots spending the credits comparing the score to other movies in one of Maltin's books, coming to the conclusion that Maltin apparently considers Laserblast to be a better movie than Hannah And Her Sisters, Taxi Driver and Being There and as good as Unforgiven and Sophie's Choice.
- The criticism Maltin got about the reviews went mainstream, and subsequent editions of his annual review books dropped the movie's rating.
- Jokes at Eddie Deezen's expense, culminating in Mike and the 'bots urging for Billy to kill Deezen's character only to regret it when he finally does and Deezen is replaced by an even more annoying hippie.
- Jokes about Billy's unimpressive Seventies lifestyle and how familiar it must be for Mike.
- Servo does a riff based on the Charlie Daniels Band's "The South's Gonna Do It Again," and Mike tries to ask Servo just what the South is going to do again.
- Using Jim Carrey's catchphrases from The Mask when Billy turns green-faced and evil.
- Sanity Slippage: Mike dressing as Capt. Janeway. Although s/he saves the S.O.L., s/he indulges herself with some "Proud Mary" afterward, Tina Turner-style.
- Series Fauxnale: At this point, Comedy Central had canceled their run and they weren't sure about their future so they set this up to be a Series Finale. Fortunately, the Sci-Fi Network (now SyFy) rescued it from cancellation and gave it three more seasons.
Crow: "Tom... just back away slowly... very slowly... now RUN!!"
- The final scenes with Dr. Forrester were a parody of 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Road House
- Star Trek: MONAD, Mike & the 'Bots falling into Trek mode when they take control of the Satellite of Love. Plus Servo imitating Scotty when he saves the satellite from falling into the atmosphere.
- Star Trek: Voyager: Mike shows up in one sketch dressed as Captain Janeway. Things somehow drift into him singing "Proud Mary" in the style of Tina Turner.
- A shot of a beach ball at a pool party leads to a joke about Rover.
- "Can't we just get beyond Thunderdome?"
- In-Joke: Best Brains had been using that line for years, and in the "finale", they wanted to somehow work it into the show.
- Shots of the possessed Billy sporting a green face naturally invite references to The Mask.
- Tom references Ivory Soap's slogan went mentioning his worry over potentially being "99 and 44/100%" pure energy.
- Straw Critic
- Thrown Out the Airlock: Happens to MONAD.
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 07 E 05 Escape 2000 Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 08 E 01 Revenge Of The Creature
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 02 E 08 Lost Continent Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Turkey Day 14 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 03 Pod People