Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 04 E 19 The Rebel Set
Films watched: Johnny At The Fair (short) and The Rebel Set
The MST3K presentation of The Rebel Set provides examples of:
- Berserk Button: For Servo, Joel and Crow identifying the actor who plays the conductor as Merritt Stone (he's not, by the way).
- Brick Joke: "I spent that dollar an hour ago!"
- Also: "So, all this happened because Johnny got lost at the fair?" referring to the episode's short film.
- Continuity Nod: "Tommy Kirk — assassin!"
- Faux Horrific: After being unfazed by the likes of In Cold Blood and Helter Skelter, Servo and Crow are frightened out of their wits by Life's Little Instruction Book.
- Logic Bomb: Servo suffers one of these when the others counteract his attempts to prove the identity of the conductor in the film (for the record, it's Gene Roth).
- Your Head A Splode — again.
- It's actually a reference to how the crew noticed Merritt Stone's name in several of their films (all of which get referenced in the sketch in question) but none of them could actually spot the recurring face in all of them.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: "He's NOT! MERRITT! STONE!"
- Shout-Out: When the struggling writer is at his typewriter, Servo says, "Let's see here ... 'A screaming comes across the sky' ." This is the opening line of Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon.
- Train Problem: In the sketch where Joel tries to have the 'Bots write literature that would meet Merritt Stone's approval, Gypsy succeeds by reciting one of these. They also call Tucker's plan "the SAT caper" after hearing the page quote.
The MST3K treatment of Johnny At The Fair brings us:
- Beard of Evil: When Johnny enters the Chemical Wonderland...Crow: A whiskery man hands him a small package. "The first one's free," he says...
- Cheese-Eating Surrender Monkeys: "Oh look, it's the Arc D'Full Retreat!"
- Eldritch Abomination: Tom cheerfully narrates, "Then Johnny transmogrifies! He's a shapeshifter! [Laughs] And he breaks the fourth seal..."
- Hypocritical Humor: Joel admonishes the bots for their tendency toward dark humor at the beginning of the short, but doesn't criticize any of the jokes they make...and there are a LOT of them.
- Ironic Echo: "'Jiminy,' thinks Johnny, 'if only I could get a ride in one of those!'" (whilst being snuggled in Barbara Ann Scott's bosom). See also Getting Crap Past the Radar.
- It Was with You All Along: Mocked:Narrator: (Johnny's parents) have looked everywhere... everywhere except one place."
Crow: Their own hearts.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar:
- When the film shows a foal trying to nurse from another horse, Servo quips, "Oops! Sorry, dad!"
- And Crow's quip about Johnny and Barbara Ann Scott above.
- Parental Neglect: Ruthlessly and hilariously implied in the riffing.