He's scary and tough
If that ain't enough
He's augmented with bath mats and stuff!
The MST3K presentation provides examples of:
- Gone Horribly Right: The Bots engage in some Art Therapy to deal with the boring film by creating a Killer Shrews Board Game. It backfires horribly when they and Joel try to play, and they realize that their game is even more boring than the movie it's based on (the game pieces are bolted down so they can't move around the board, the instruction cards they draw consist of either "Contemplate Shrew" or "Have Another Drink", etc.).
- Notable Original Music: see the page quote.
- Running Gag: Rook plays Dixieland Jazz.
- Screwball Serum: "The Killer Shrew", a drink that combined about twelve different types of sugar in a blender (chocolate ice cream, Captain Crunch with Crunchberries, peanut M&Ms, Mrs. Butterworths syrup, circus peanuts, Mr. Pibb, Marshmallow Peeps, Sweet Tarts, vanilla cake frosting, Good'n'Plenty, and "garnished with a wind-up shrew"). Joel had one taste, went into diabetic shock and passed out; Frank, on the other hand, had one sip and went hyperglycemic, singing "Ladies' Night" and attempting to dance with Dr. Forrester.
- Shout-Out: Several, but the "Will Rogers" sketch is chock full of them. Joel's attempt to impersonate cowboy humorist Will Rogers after watching the short ends up devolving into random quotations from Mark Twain, Casey Stengel, Alexander Woolcott, Macgruff the "Take a Bite out of Crime" Dog, Nikita Khruschev, Garrett Morris, Dion ("Abraham, Martin and John"), Ronald Reagan's 1984 campaign, and Dr. Seuss.
- When some horses in the film rear up, Joel asks "Did someone say 'Frau Blucher'?"
- Slurpasaur: J&TB frequently lampshade this about the shrews (dogs with weird stuff on them).
- Spin-Off Babies: Parodied with Joel's Invention Exchange - Jim Henson's Edgar Winter Babies! It's enough to convince the Mads not to cleave the Earth in two.
- Take That
- The Unintelligible: The head scientist and his daughter have very thick accents, which Joel and the bots mock to no end.Dr. Marlowe: Radford?Joel: Rapid? Rapture?Dr. Marlowe: Radford, could you please step over here? I'd like you to meet someone.Joel: Rapid Bathroom?Tom: Yes; this is our resident novelist, Rapid Bathroom.
- Unsound Effect: Tom's "Bristle, bristle", while dressed as a cactus
- With Lyrics: "You're gonna die from shrew bites, you're gonna die from shrew bites..."