Films watched: Junior Rodeo Daredevils
and The Killer Shrews
Killer Shrew! Killer Shrew!
He's scary and tough
If that ain't enough
He's augmented with bath mats and stuff!
Junior Rodeo Daredevils is a short about the death-defying rodeo stunts done by children after a prank on "Old-timer Billy Slater" went horribly wrong.
This episode was released on DVD along with another "lost" short as an extra: Assignment Venezuela
, the story of an American oil company employee trying to adjust to being sent to work in Venezuela while trying to make everything sound good to his wife and kids back in the States.
The MST3K presentation provides examples of:
- Gone Horribly Right: The Bots engage in some Art Therapy to deal with the boring film by creating a Killer Shrews Board Game. It backfires horribly when they and Joel try to play, and they realize that their game is even more boring than the movie it's based on (the game pieces are bolted down so they can't move around the board, the instruction cards they draw consist of either "Contemplate Shrew" or "Have Another Drink", etc.).
- Notable Original Music: see the page quote.
- Running Gag: Rook plays Dixieland Jazz.
- Screwball Serum: "The Killer Shrew", a drink that combined about twelve different types of sugar in a blender (chocolate ice cream, Captain Crunch with Crunchberries, peanut M&Ms, Mrs. Butterworths syrup, circus peanuts, Mr. Pibb, Marshmallow Peeps, Sweet Tarts, vanilla cake frosting, Good'n'Plenty, and "garnished with a wind-up shrew"). Joel had one taste, went into diabetic shock and passed out; Frank, on the other hand, had one sip and went hyperglycemic, singing "Ladies' Night" and attempting to dance with Dr. Forrester.
- Shout-Out: Several, but the "Will Rogers" sketch is chock full of them. Joel's attempt to impersonate cowboy humorist Will Rogers after watching the short ends up devolving into random quotations from Mark Twain, Casey Stengel, Alexander Woollcott, Macgruff the "Take a Bite out of Crime" Dog, Nikita Kruschev, Garret Morris, Dion ("Abraham, Martin and John"), Ronald Reagan's 1984 campaign, and Dr. Seuss.
- Take That
Tom Servo: [After reading the title card] Starring Joan Collins and Jackie Collins!
- The Unintelligible: The head scientist and his daughter have very thick accents, which Joel and the bots mock to no end.
Dr. Marlowe: Radford?
Joel: Rapid? Rapture?
Dr. Marlowe: Radford, could you please step over here? I'd like you to meet someone.
Joel: Rapid Bathroom?
Tom: Yes; this is our resident novelist, Rapid Bathoom.
- Unsound Effect: Tom's "Bristle, bristle", while dressed as a cactus
- With Lyrics: "You're gonna die from shrew bites, you're gonna die from shrew bites..."
"Any unusual experiment can produce unusual results."