Recap: Angel S 05 E 08 Destiny
Spike and Angel battle it out to see who is the champion foretold in the Shanshu Prophecy.
- Always Second Best
- Amusing Injuries: Spike discovers he's no longer an Intangible Man when he walks into a door while trying to walk through it.
- Ax-Crazy: Random employees of Wolfram & Hart start weeping Tears of Blood and venting all kinds of frustrations through violent behaviour towards their co-workers.
- Bait and Switch: It's not the hero of the series but Spike who wins the Cup. Which turns out to be fake.
- Bait-and-Switch Comment: Angel asks Spike if he really wants this destiny, or if he just wants to win the Cup from Angel. Spike pauses to consider this...then shrugs. "Bit of both."
- Spike drinks, the Cup does a Slow Motion Drop from his hand... "I-it's...Mountain Dew?"
- Berserk Button: Angelus/Drusilla for Spike, and Spike/Buffy for Angel.
- Blood from the Mouth: Our two heroes get thoroughly thrashed.
- Breaking Speech: Angel and Spike, constantly. For example...
Spike: You had a soul forced on you, as a curse. Make you suffer for all the horrible things you'd done. But me... I fought for my soul. Went through the Demon Trials. Almost did me in a dozen times over, but I kept fighting. 'Cause I knew it was the right thing to do. It's my destiny.
Angel: Really? Heard it was just to get into a girl's pants.
- Spike gives one right back in reference to Angelus.
Come on, hero. Tell me more. Teach me what it means. And I'll tell you why you can't stand the bloody sight of me. 'Cause every time you look at me...you see all the dirty little things I've done, all the lives I've taken...because of you! Drusilla sired me...but you... you made me a monster. Too busy trying to see your own reflection... praying there was someone as disgusting as you in the world, so you could stand to live with yourself.
- Brief Accent Imitation: A trace of 19th century Angelus's Irish accent comes out when Angel says, "I didn't make you, Spike. I just opened up the door."
- The Bus Came Back: Lindsey McDonald, last seen in Season 2 "Dead End", is conspiring against Team Angel.
- Call Back
- Harmony accuses Spike of thinking of Buffy while he's having sex with her, which happened in BtVS "Family".
- Spike driving along singing to rock music, like he did at the end of BtVS "Lovers Walk".
- Angel catching the rebar as Spike thrusts it at his face is similar to Buffy's Barehanded Blade Block when fighting Angelus in "Becoming, Part II".
- Chekhov's Gunman: Sirk, the ex-Watcher from the Season 5 finale "Home".
- Continuity Nod
- Spike asking if Angel's blood contains otter ("Conviction").
- The references in the flashback to the events of "Darla" (Angelus getting beaten up by the Master), BtVS "Fool for Love" (Drusilla siring William the Drunken Poet) and BtVS "Lies My Parents Told Me" (Spike staking his own mother).
- In "Hellbound" Angel worries that the moment Spike got corporeal he'd run off to see Buffy. Spike's first reaction when things start going to hell is to run off to Europe...where Angel told him Buffy had gone.
- Couldn't Find a Pen: TONER is written on the wall in blood.
- Cut Himself Shaving: When Angel shows up bloody and bruised, Fred asks, "What happened?!" His response is, "I fell down some stairs. Big stairs." When Spike shows up later looking very similar, Fred's response is, "Stairs, huh?"
- Double Entendre: Harmony tells newly-corporeal Spike to "Get off!" when he grabs her. Spike replies, "That's the idea."
- Emerging from the Shadows: Angelus introducing himself to William the Bloody.
- Eureka Moment: Somewhat delayed.
Angel: We've had our hands full dealing with the glitch in the office system... which just so happens to coincide with Spike being back, and I can't believe I'm just getting that.
- Evasive Fight Thread Episode: Averted — Spike is the clear winner.
- Evil Is Petty: Angelus sleeps with Drusilla, knowing that Spike thinks of her as his One True Love.
- Evil Laugh: Spike and Angelus share a good one when they team up for the first time, then Angelus and Drusilla have one at Spike's expense when he catches them shagging.
- Evil Mentor: Angelus to William the Bloody.
- Fake Static: Spike pulls this on Angel after stealing his car to drive to Nevada.
- Felony Misdemeanor: A W&H employee standing by a photocopier starts beating his co-worker with a fire extinguisher.
- Flanderization: Spike trying to jump Harmony's bones, contrary to his post-soul behaviour in BtVS Season 7.
- Flashback: To 1880. We see William/Spike meeting Angelus for the first time, and the origin of their rivalry over Drusilla.
- Funny Background Event: Eve and Gunn are arguing in Gunn's office — through the window we see a literally Ax-Crazy employee stalking towards them holding a fire axe. Just as he's about to swing it at the window, a guard rushes in and tackles him to the ground. Eve and Gunn turn and see no-one there, so go back to their conversation.
- Game Face: "All right...let's finish this."
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: The song Spike is listening to while driving is The Dead Kennedys' "Too Drunk To Fuck". By an extraordinary coincidence, Angel calls him just before the chorus kicks in.
- William and Angelus are discussing Drusilla, who is out hunting street urchins.
Angelus: Yeah, she is a sweet plum. I mean, a bit dotty and brain-addled, but...
William: She's not... She's just... It's like she's still got a bit of a child in her.
Angelus: Perhaps two or three by now.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Despite their mutual love for Buffy, Spike and Angel don't hesitate to use her as a blunt instrument to humiliate each other during their Snark-to-Snark Combat.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: William the Bloody compliments Angelus on beating the groom at a wedding they crashed to death with his own arm.
- Good Versus Good
- Holy Grail
- Homoerotic Subtext: On first meeting Spike, Angelus says that while he likes the company of women, he's been wondering what it'd be like to share the slaughter of innocents with another man. "Don't think that makes me some kind of a deviant, hmm?" Lampshaded in the DVD Commentary.
"They're always up for a little homoeroticism — David and James
"I think this was the scene when Joss Whedon
saw it shot he said, "Why don't they kiss already?"
- I Hate You, Vampire Yoda
- In a Single Bound
- I Need a Freaking Drink: After the night's events Spike decides to celebrate his new corporeality by getting plastered.
- In-Series Nickname: Eve refers to the gang as "Team Angel".
- Interrupted Intimacy: William grins as he walks in on Angelus enthusiastically coupling with Dar...Drusilla?
- It's All About Me: Subverted when Spike challenges our hero over whether this series should be called Spike.
- Kubrick Stare / Death Glare
- Lady in Red: Eve
- Let's You and Him Fight / A House Divided: Lindsey was hoping that Spike would kill Angel, though doesn't show any disappointment when Eve tells him this didn't happen — he says "It's a start" that Spike and Angel beat each other to a pulp and Team Angel think the Senior Partners are plotting against them.
- Ludicrous Precision
Gunn: 6 more cases. That's what — a 30% increase in the last hour?
Fred: 32.4, but who's counting?
- Macho Masochism: William and Angelus holding their hands in the sunlight. Centuries later, Spike demonstrates his determination by using a huge cross to bludgeon Angel with.
- Meaningful Echo: "You've never met the real me." This is the same thing Spike tells Buffy in BtVS "Never Leave Me" when he asks Buffy to kill him.
- Mock Guffin: The Cup Of Mountain Dew.
- The Mole: Eve turns out to be in bed with Lindsey, in both senses of the word.
- Moment Killer: Spike is shagging Harmony when she starts bleeding from the eyes, vamps out and chomps on his neck.
You don't want me! You want your Slayer whore! (rushes him) I'll kill you!
- More Hero Than Thou
- My Girl Is a Slut: Drusilla not only shares her favours with Angelus, she actually finds it amusing when William walks in on them. And it only takes a compliment on her dress and a smile from Sexy!Spike to get Harmony to make out with him.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: The Cup of Perpetual Torment.
- The Nicknamer: A W&H employee dubs Angel "Mr Goodfang".
- Not Named in Opening Credits: Christian Kane as Lindsey McDonald.
- Not Big Enough for the Two of Us: Lampshaded by Eve.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: Gunn going to the White Void Room to find a Pantherless Howling Abyss.
- One True Love: Unfortunately not a concept recognised by vampires.
Angelus: Let me explain to you how things are now. There's no belonging or deserving anymore. You can take what you want, have what you want... but nothing is yours. Not even her.
- Spike gets his revenge centuries later when Angel tries throwing this in his face re Buffy.
Angel: That's why Buffy never really loved you: Because you weren't me.
Spike: Guess that means she was thinking about you... all those times I was puttin' it to her.
- Professionals Do It on Desks: Spike's first act on becoming corporeal is to throw a lawyer out of his office so Spike can do it on the desk with Angel's Sexy Secretary.
- Punch! Punch! Punch! Uh Oh...: Angel's first exchange of punches with Spike.
- Punctuated Pounding: Spike's famous I Hate You, Vampire Yoda moment.
You see me! [punch]
You see all the nasty things I've done! [punch]
All the lives
I've taken! [punch]
Because of YOU
Drusilla sired me! [punch]
But you! [punch] You made me a monster! [punch]
- Put on a Bus: Sirk has done a runner at the end of the episode, and the series ended before the writers had a chance to bring him back.
- Right Through His Pants: Angelus bonking Drusilla, and Spike shagging Harmony.
- Sarcasm Mode: Default mode for Sirk, being an ex-Watcher and all.
"That's a metaphor...I don't need to tell you what that means, do I?
- Shirtless Scene: Lindsey in bed with a prominent tattoo on his chest.
- Slow Motion Drop: Spike dropping the Cup after drinking from it.
- Smash Cut
- Stake Over Head: Spike raises a stake to dust Angel...then jams it into his shoulder instead, on the excuse that Buffy wouldn't like it.
- Tap on the Head: Gunn goes insane and starts strangling Eve. Fred loads up a tranquiliser pistol, and when that doesn't work clocks him with a fire extinguisher.
- Tempting Fate
Angelus: (on meeting William) You and I are going to be the best of friends.
- Terms of Endangerment: Eve addresses the various members of Team Angel as "kids", "princess" or "sweetie".
- Testosterone Poisoning: Loads and loads between Angel and Spike.
- There Can Be Only One: Reality is breaking down because there are two champions.
- This Explains So Much
Spike: [Wesley] thought he killed his bloody father. Try staking your mother when she's COMING ON TO YOU!
Harmony: Wow. That explains a lot.
- Title Drop: Every time the word "destiny" is mentioned.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Although credited, Alexis Denisof doesn't appear in this episode, ostensibly due to Wesley being given leave of absence following the events of "Lineage" — actually because of Denisof's wedding to Alyson Hannigan at the time of filming. This is the only episode from which Wesley is absent following his appearance in Season One's "Parting Gifts".
- Reset Button: The Senior Partners fix everything off-screen.
- Simple Staff: Angel and Spike fight with rebars.
- Sublime Rhyme: Who would be sending post to a ghost?
- The Triple: According to Spike, Angel is fighting for "Truth, justice and soccer moms."
- Vampires Are Sex Gods
- Willie the Terrible
Angelus: You know, you really should find a new name for yourself. It just doesn't strike the right note of terror.
- You Can't Fight Fate
Sirk: The drinking of the Cup is predestined. That can't be changed. Whoever drinks from it was meant to. When one is confirmed as the central figure of the prophecy, the universe should realign itself.
- You Fight Like a Cow: Spike vs. Angel? Naturally.
- Your Cheating Heart: Dru