Recap / Angel S01 E10 "Parting Gifts"
Doyle's death has cut Angel off from the Powers That Be
—but not for long
. Meanwhile, a demon seeks their protection from an implacable pursuer.
Tropes in this episode:
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Barney kills a lot of people, viciously mutilates their bodies, and starts the bidding for Cordy at a paltry $2000.
- As Long as It Sounds Foreign: Angel is talking to two Koreans. One of them speaks Korean fluently, but the other has lines that are technically correct but very simplistic and childish. When Angel speaks to them, his lines are complete nonsense that sort of sounds like an Asian language.
- Auction of Evil: Cordelia is kidnapped and her "Seer's Eyes" are put up for bid, along with various other stolen organs with special powers. And when it appears she is about to be sold for much too low a price (from Cordelia's viewpoint) she takes over from the auctioneer to drive the price higher, and to buy time for the Big Damn Heroes to show up and rescue her.
- Badass Biker / Hell-Bent for Leather: Wesley trying to go for a more badass look. When Angel isn't impressed he tries to become a Badass in a Nice Suit. Besides, the leather pants tend to chaff his... legs.
- Bait and Switch: The determinator pursuing Barney turns out to be Wesley. Then Barney turns out to be the villain.
- Break Them by Talking: Barney does this to Cordelia.
- Bound and Gagged: Cordelia; the gag has less to do with restraint than making her shut up.
- But Now I Must Go: Wesley tries playing this trope, but is disappointed when Angel and Cordy don't appear to be paying attention, and rushes back when Angel casually invites Wes to join them for breakfast.
- Captain Obvious:
Barney: First off, you should know—right away, before there's any misunderstanding—I'm a demon.
Angel: [glances at horns, hooked nose, pointy ears, and blotched skin] I appreciate your candor.
- Cat Scare: Angel, stalking through a sauna with An Axe to Grind, is startled when a horrible demon yanks open a curtain and snarls at him... then politely asks where they do the Shiatsu massage.
- Cutting the Knot: An auctioneer being outbidden by a rival solves the problem by snapping his neck.
- Cradle of Loneliness: Cordelia laments that Doyle had nothing special he left behind so she could do this trope; she's less than impressed to find that Doyle did leave her something specialóhis ability to experience painful visions.
- Decoy Damsel: Barney is a Gender-Inverted Trope.
- Description Cut: The Oracles tell Angel that someone will come along to replace Doyle; cut to Barney being chased by a helmeted man on a motorcycle. But it's a Bait and Switch as Cordelia is the one to inherit Doyle's power. Though it was played somewhat straight in that the biker, Wesley, also joins the team.
- *Drool* Hello: Wes informs Angel that the demon he's chasing can be tracked via the Alien Blood it's leaving behind... like the kind that's now dripping on his shoulder.
- Emerging from the Shadows: Angel finds himself facing a man in the shadows holding a crossbow; a Determinator who's been chasing Barney across several states. Angel is unimpressed when his old acquaintance Wesley steps out into the light.
- Failed Attempt at Drama: Wesley, as a Running Gag.
- First Kiss: Angel and Cordy kiss for the first time; subverted in that Cordy is trying to pass on Doyle's visions. There's also a Call Back to Wes/Cordy's disastrous first kiss when Wes admits their second time was an improvement.
- Friendly Local Chinatown: Koreatown.
- Game Face: A hotel employee wisely provides Angel with directions to the auction when he vamps out.
- Groin Attack
Cordelia: I'm having a vision! A demon... it's definitely you. You're in great, great...
Cordelia: Pain. [kick]
- Half Truth: Wesley's myriad of excuses for why he can't return to England.
- Hopeless Auditionees: For once Cordy has an excuse for her Bad "Bad Acting". She plays a stain remover commercial like it's "Out, Damned Spot!" due to grief over Doyle. When the bemused auditioners ask her to try again with a little more happy, she then experiences her first vision. Needless to say, she doesn't get the part.
- Insistent Terminology: Wes wants to make sure everyone knows that he's a rogue demon hunter.
- It Meant Something to Me / I'm Dying, Please Take My MacGuffin
Doyle! I thought our kiss
meant something. And instead, he-he used that moment to pass [prophetic visions] on to me. Why couldn't it have been mono or herpes?
- Imagine the Audience Naked
Barney: Iím sensing a little performance anxiety here. Little trick, picture everybody—
Cordelia: In their underwear.
Barney: I was going to say dead, but hey, if that underwear thing works for you...
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain
I never said I was a Boy Scout. Iím an empath demon
. I can read emotions. It gives me a slight advantage at cards. You know, Black Jack, Poker. Ooh, itís also good for the fights. Angel:
So youíre a cheat. Barney:
I chose to think of it as going with my strengths. Look, whatever. Iím a demon. Iím evil. But Iím not, you know, Evil!
- Subverted since Barney is playing a little Obfuscating Stupidity, he's actually a sadist and the true villain.
- I Work Alone: Both Wes and Angel say this. They doth protest too much.
- Last-Second Word Swap:
Wesley: These pants, they tend to chafe oneís... legs.
- Lightning Reveal: A faulty light reveals the Sinister Silhouette of the rogue demon hunter.
- Made a Slave: An option for Cordy at the auction; unfortunately the lovely lawyer from Wolfram & Hart is only interested in her eyes.
- Mook Horror Show: Barney fleeing from Determinator Wesley.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Hanks pleads with Barney to be allowed to take out Cordy's eyes. Barney tells him to stop embarrassing himself.
- Omniglot: Angel can speak Korean, while Wesley can understand the Kungai's dialect.
- Organ Theft: Specifically, the organs that serve as focuses for various powers, sold at an Auction of Evil to those who want to acquire such powers.
- Perp Sweating: Wesley tries interrogating Angel when they first meet. Angel casually swats away his crossbow, leaving Wesley looking rather dejected.
- Personal Effects Reveal: After Doyle's death, Cordelia tries to do this, but finds that Doyle didn't have any personal effects kept in the office, so she couldn't learn any more about him. But then, it turns out he did leave something behind (albeit not something tangible); his visions. At the end of the episode, Cordelia frames a drawing she made of her first vision as a reminder that something of Doyle's is still there.
- Pre-Asskicking One-Liner
Wes: You! Butcher an innocent girl, will you?! [pushes his glasses up on his nose] Iím going to thrash you to within an inch of your life AND THEN IíM GOING TO TAKE THAT INCH!
- The Pratfall: Wesley tries to pull a knife out of an ankle holster to cut Cordy's bonds and ends up falling on his backside.
- Rant-Inducing Slight: Angel goes off on a tirade about media stereotyping when Barney thinks he sleeps in a coffin.
- Rogue Agent: Wesley has reinvented himself as a "rogue demon hunter." In truth he's been fired from the Watcher's Council after losing both Faith and Buffy.
- Ship Tease: Cordelia kissing Angel—it turns out she's just trying to transfer Doyle's power.
- Tastes Like Friendship: Wesley joining Angel and Cordy for breakfast shows his acceptance into their group.
- Title Sequence: Doyle is kept in to sow confusion about who will replace him, or even if he'll be brought back from the dead. Wesley won't receive his Promotion to Opening Titles until the next episode.
- Vampiric Draining: The effect of the Kungai horn.
- Whammy Bid: The item for sale is Cordelia's visions, or more specifically, her eyeballs. To stall for time, Cordelia incites a bidding war by claiming to be able to see the locations of buried treasure. This escalates until one of the two highest bidders kills the other one. Finally, a female attorney for Wolfram & Hart closes the auction with a whopping bid of $30,000.
- You Won't Feel a Thing: Barney is about to extract Cordelia's eyes.
Barney: Now, be a good girl and hold still. This will only hurt a lot.