Punctuated For Emphasis: Music
It's really common for singers to EMPASHIZE! EVERY! WOOOORD!
, but here are some notable examples.
- Adam and the Ants' "Physical (You're So)": "You're! So! Phy-! Si-! Cal!". Taken Up to Eleven in the Nine Inch Nails cover.
- All. My. Friends. Know the Lowrider. (From "Low Rider" by War).
- The Low. Ri. Der. Is a little higher.
- The Misfits: "ONE. LAST. CAAAAAARRRRREEEESSSS!"
- Nightwish has I! Truly! HATE! YOU! ALL! in "Slaying the Dreamer".
- "Please give a warm, friendly hand to THEY! MIGHT! BE! GIANTS!"
- THE ALPHABET! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF! NAAAAAAAAAAAAATIOOOOOOOOOOOONS! (From "Alphabet of Nations").
- Make! A! Hole! With! The! Gun! Per! Pen! Dic! U...lar! To! The! Name! Of! This! Town! In a desktop... Globe! (From "Ana Ng").
- I know! I know! I said that! I! Would! Quuuiiit! All! Right! I promise! No more! After Thiiis! (From "Thunderbird").
- Big! Bad! VOOOOOOOO-DOOOOOOOO! DAAA-DAAYYYY!
- TheBreeders: WANT YOU! CUCKOO! CAN-NON-BALL!!!! (From "Cannonball")
- Judas Priest: "HE! IS! THE! PAINKILLER! THIS! IS! THE! PAINKILLER!" (From, well, "Painkiller").
- Black Sabbath: "I! AM! IRON MAN!" (From, of course, "Iron Man").
- Lordi: "HARD! ROCK! HALLELUJAH!" (Yes, from "Hard Rock Hallelujah").
- THIS! IS! SEMPITERNAL!!!
- Bj÷rk: HE! BELIEVES! IN! A BEAUTY! He's Venus as a Boy. (From "Venus as a Boy").
- Zlad: Electronik. Supersonik. Supersonik. Electronik. (From "Elektronik Supersonik").
- Alice in Chains: IF! I! WOULD! COULD! YOU!? (From "Would?").
- When Rock Band released the song as DLC, every single word of the vocal chart was counted as its own phrase/section.
- Metallica's James Hetfield, boldly pushing back the frontiers of science, has managed to pronounce every syllable of a word as its own sentence. A word with one syllable. "YEE-EEE-EEE-AAA-AAA-YYY-AAA-UUH!"
- In addition, "Enter Sandman":
Ehhhcks! Iiiit! LAH-HIGHT! Everyone:
Ehhhn! Tuuuhr! NAH-HIGHT!
- And how about "BLOOD! WILL! FOLL-LOW! BLOOD! DY! ING! TIME! IS! HERE!" (From "Damage, Inc.").
- Hell, he manages to make a one-syllable word into two sentences:
CREEEEEEEEPING! DEEEAAAATH-AH! (Not surprisingly, from "Creeping Death").
- Also, the expansion of the word "empty" in "Cyanide", and "Shape-shiiii-fttttt" in "Of Wolf and Man".
- Related: The very end of Tool's "Eulogy": "GOOD! BYYYYY....YYYY...YYYY...YYYYE!!!"
- His last line in The Day That Never Comes: "This, I swear! This, I swear! THIS! I! SWEARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!" In the booklet of the album, that last "THIS, I SWEAR!" is in even bigger letters for emphasis.
- From the same album, "All Nightmare Long" starts with "Luck. Runs. Out.". (written that way in the booklet everytime it appears)
- THIS! MEANS! WAR! ("This Means War!" by Petra), also the name of the album.
- Garbage: THIS! IS! NOT! MY! IDEA! OF A! GOOD TIME! (From "Not My Idea")
- Megadeth: "PPEEEEAAAACCCCCE... SEEEEEELLLLS..." (From "Peace Sells").
- And how can Anthrax be left far behind?
- IT'S! A! MAD-HOUSE!
- They take a cue from Judge Dredd in a song inspired by the comic — I! AM! THE! LAW!
- And repeatedly in their 1990 album, Persistence of Time (WELCOME! TO! THE! BELLY! OF! THE! BEAST)
- A change of vocalist doesn't deter this (WHO? WHAT? WHERE? WHEN? WHY? from Hy Pro Glo)
- Tool also has a more typical example with "Disgustipated", which is very disturbing:
"THIS. IS. NECESSARY! THIS. IS NECESSARY! LIFE! FEEDS ON LIFE! FEEDS ON LIFE!..."
- PRY-ING O-PEN MY THIRD EYE! PRY-ING O-PEN MY THIRD EYE! PRY-ING O-PEN MY THIRD EYE! (From "Third Eye").
- The character of Me (played by James LaBrie) does it awesomely at the end of "Day Eighteen: Realization" on Ayreon's The Human Equation album. "LET! ME! OOOUUUT!!!" Rage (played by Devin Townsend) also does a similar thing at the end of "Day Sixteen: Loser". "NEVER! NEVER! NEVER! NEVER! NEVER! NEVER! NEVER! NEVER!"
- Ronnie James Dio, at the end of Rainbow's classic "Kill the King". "OH! KILL! OH! KILL! OH, OH!"
- Stratovarius's "Freedom": "So you will hear! My! Freedom! Call!"
- The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets in "Flee!": PAIN! DEATH! INSANITY! DEATH!"
- WE BUILT! THIS! CITY! WE BUILT! THIS! CITY! ON ROCK! AND! ROLL! (From "We Built This City" by Starship).
- Dream Theater examples: "As I Am" ("Take! Me! As! I am!"), "A Change of Seasons" ("I! WILL! LIVE ON! LIVE ON!", also the live version has James shouting "PLEASE! DON'T! GO!"), "The Test That Stumped Them All" ("Hoping to find the answers to the test that stumped! Them! All!"), "Octavarium" ("TRAPPED! INSIDE! THIS! OC-TA-VA-RI-UM!"). James LaBrie really likes doing this. Also from "The Dark Eternal Night": I! Am! The! LAST!
- Queensr che: They love it.
- Take Hold Of The Flame: "TAKE! HOLD!"
- "CHILD! OF! FIRE!"
- Neue Regel: "I! CAN! HEAR! THE! CHIMES!"
- Chemical Youth (WE! ARE! REBELLION!)
- The Needle Lies: "DON'T! EVER! TRUST!"
- Eyes of a Stranger: "Why am I here? And FOR! HOW LONG!?"
- Empire: "CAN! YOU! HEAR! IT CALLING!"
- Enter Shikari: "SO! RRY! YOU'RE! NOT! A winner..." "WHAT! HAVE! YOU! GOT? To lose..." (From "Sorry, You're Not a Winner")
- "GO! TELL! ALL! YOUR FRIENDS!" "THAT THIS IS! THE END!" (From "Mothership").
- "YOU'RE NOT! GETTING ANY! SLEEP! TONIGHT!" (From "No Sleep Tonight").
- "THOU! SHALL! NOT! PASS!" (From "Juggernauts").
- Four Year Strong might as well be called FOUR! YEAR! STROOONG!
- "CAN YOU! PROVE TO ME! THAT YOU'RE NOT DEAD! AND! GONE!" (From "Nineteen with Neck Tatz"), "RISE! OR! DIE! HERE AT THE TOP OF THE WORLD!" (From "Maniac (R.O.D.)"), "SO LISTEN UP! IF YOU STILL FEEL! AND I STILL FEEL! THEN RISE UP! AND O! VER! COME!" (From "What The Hell Is a Gigawatt?" featuring Jay Pepito of Reign Supreme), "I! STILL! ALWAYS! LOOK UP TO YOU!" (From "One Step at a Time"), etc. etc.
- Icona Pop: "I! DON'T! CAAAARE! I love it!"
- Iron Maiden, "The Prisoner": "Run! Fight! To leave! It's tough!"
- "RUN! TO! THE! HILLS! / RUN! FOR! YOUR! LI-I-IVES!" (From "Run to the Hills").
- "TWO! MINUTES! TO MID — NIIIIIIIIIGHT!" (From "2 Minutes to Midnight").
- "CAUGHT — SOME-WHERE — IN — TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME!" (From "Caught Somewhere in Time").
- "YOUR — TIME — WILL — COME!" (From "The Wicker Man").
- Rhapsody of Fire, "The March of the Swordmaster": "Hail! Hail! Great swordmaster! March! March! Brave swordmaster!" And a spoken version in "The Dark Tower of Abyss": "This... Is... HELL!!!" And in Italian, from "Bloody Red Dungeons": "Luna! Rossa! Pianti! Paure! Rabbia! Ira! Urla! Torture!"
- Scooter: "Move! Your! ASS!" (From "Move Your Ass!")
- And "Gothic... doesn't... exist." (From "Fuck the Millennium").
- HY-PAH HY-PAH! (From "Hyper Hyper").
- HOW! MUCH! IS! THE! FISH?! (From "How Much Is the Fish?", strangely enough).
- Stratovarius: "At! The! Speed! Of! Liiight...!" (From "Speed of Light") and "ZERO! THREE! ZERO! THREE! SIX! SIX!" (From "030366").
- Sublime's "Date Rape":
That's. When. Things. Got. Out. Of. Control.
She. Didn't. Want. To. He. Had. His. Way.
She. Said. "Let's. Go."
He. Said. "No! Way!"
That's. When. Things. Got. Out. Of. Control.
The moral. Of. The. Date. Rape. Story.
It. Does not pay. To Be. Drunk. And. Horny.
- Sum 41, "Fat Lip": "I don't wanna waste! My! Time! Become another casualty of society! I'll never fall! In! Line!"
- "In Too Deep": "It seems that SOME! THING'S! TELLING ME!"
- I! CAN'T! GO! ON! LI-VING! THIS! WAY! (From "Last Resort").
- Even Sonic Heroes' last boss' battle theme: WHAT! I'M! MADE! OF! (From "What I'm Made Of" by Crush 40).
- I! AM! AMERICAN BADASS! (From "American Bad Ass" by Kid Rock).
- Earlier in the same song, "And I DID! NOT! STUTTER! WHEN! I SAID THAT!"
- "Weird Al" Yankovic: "I! HATE! SAUERKRAUT!" (From "Albuquerque").
- "But you can't! Stay! Heeere!" (From "Polka Power!", segment "Closing Time")
- Metal in general, really. From Man O' War (which basically IS this trope, entirely accepting it into their being) to Black Sabbath to Gojira to Death to friggin' anything. Metal is Sparta, I guess.
- I. LIKE. BIG. BUTTS.! (From "Baby Got Back").
- "OH! MY! GOD! Becky look at her butt..." (from the song's intro)
- My Chemical Romance's "Welcome to the Black Parade" has I! DON'T! CARE!
- Biiiilll-lllyyyyy Sheaaaaarss! (From "With a Little Help from My Friends").
- To quote Bruce Springsteen from his Live in New York City DVD(toward the end of Tenth Avenue Freeze Out)"The heart-stopping, soul-shaking, earth-quaking, love-making, air-conditioner-shaking, history-making, legendary E! STREET! BAND!"
- U2: UNOS! DOS! TRES! CATORCE!!!note (From "Vertigo").
- Of the "syllabic emphasis" kind: "EL-E-VA-TION!" (From "Elevation").
- GO! SHOUT IT OUT! RISE UP! (From "Unknown Caller").
- "Inside the Fire" by Disturbed: DE!VON! LIES! BE!YOND! THIS! POR!TAL! TAKE! THE! WORD! OF! ONE! IMM!OR!TAAAL!! (yes, that was tripple syllabic emphasis).
- Living Colour: I! AM! THE! CULT! OF! PERSONALITY! (From "Cult of Personality").
- "THEY! WILL! NOT! FORCE! US! THEY! WILL! STOP! DE! GRAAAADING US! THEY! WILL! NOT! CON! TROOOOOL! US! WE! WILL! BE! VIC! TOOOOOOORIOOOOOOOUS!!" From Muse's recent single, "Uprising."
- Between the Buried and Me are big fans of the trope:
- THIS! IS! ALL! WE HAVE! WHEN WE DIE! IT'S! WHAT'S! LEFT! OF! US! WHEN WE DIE! WE! WILL! BE! RE-MEM-BERED! FOR THIS! (From "White Walls").
- I'VE BEEN TOLD! I'VE BEEN TOLD! I'VE! BEEN! TOLD! (From "Ants of the Sky").
- THIS! IS! WHAT! WE CALL! A BRAAAAAAAAAAAAIN! (From "Obfuscation").
- SWIM! TO! THE! MOON! (From "Swim to the Moon").
- Alice Cooper: HELLO! HOORAY! (From "Hello Hooray").
- Asking Alexandria: OH! MY! GOD! (From "Final Episode (Let's Change the Channel)").
- Queen: WE WILL! WE WILL! ROCK YOU! (Everybody...) WE WILL! WE WILL! ROCK YOU! (Alright!) * solo* (Obviously from "We Will Rock You").
- HEEEEREEE WE ARE! BORN TO BE KINGS! WE'RE THE PRINCES OF THE UNI!VERSE!
- Sex Pistols: and I! wanna BE! AN-AR-CHY! DE-STROY! (From "Anarchy in the U.K.").
- Angelspit: WREAK HAVOC RIGHT! NOW! RIGHT! NOW! RIOT! NOW! WREAK HAVOC RIGHT! NOW! RIGHT! NOW! RIOT! NOW! UNLEASH HELL! (From "Wreak Havoc").
- The Dead Kennedys do this well. California! Uber Alles! California Uber Alles! Uber Alles! Califonia! Uber Alles California!
- Impending Doom — NAILED. DEAD. RISEEEEEENNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!! (From "Nailed. Dead. Risen." Even the title is Punctuated For Emphasis)
- Children of Bodom: Should I regret, or ask myself — ARE?! YOU?! DEAD?! YET?! (From "Are You Dead Yet?").
- Christopher Lee in his Charlemagne concept album: I SHED THE BLOOD OF THE SAXON MEN! I SHED THE BLOOD OF THE SAXON MEN! (From "The Bloody Verdict of Verden").
- Three Days Grace:
- I! HATE! EVERYTHING! ABOUT! YOU! WHY! DO! I! LOVE! YOU!? (From "I Hate Everything About You").
- Break! Away from everybody! Break! Away from everything! If you! Can't! Stand! The way this place is! Take! Yourself! To higher places! (From "Break").
- Industrial Metal masters, Fear Factory, employ this trope for almost all of the vocals in the first half of the song, "Fear Campaign". WHY? NOT? CHECK? IT? OUT? And experience the awesomeness
HATE! WAR! AND TER-ROR! MUR-DER! DI-SAS-TER! RAPE! DRUGS! AND VIO-LENCE! LOST! IN! OUR! FAIL-URE!
- Viking metallers Amon Amarth make use of this more than once, with the song "Twilight of the Thunder God" providing a particularly fitting example:
"Twilight! Of! The Thunder God! Twilight! Of! The Thunder God!
Twilight! Of! The Thunder God! Twilight! Of! The Thun! Der!! God!!!"
- Death frontman Chuck Schuldiner loved this trope. His performance in "The Philosopher" turned the word "lies" into a metalhead in-joke.
- A PATHETIC! EX-CUSE! FOR A HUMAN BEING! (From "Spiritual Healing").
- Sinergy provided us with: "Listen up everybody! Because THE BITCH! IS! BACK! "
- Nile Uses this all the time, such as:
BLACK!! SEEDS!! OF VENGEANCE!! BLACK!!! SEEDS!!! OF VENGEANCE!!! (From "Black Seeds of Vengeance").
- "LASHED! TO! THE SLAVE STICK!!" (From "Lashed to the Slave Stick").
- "CAAAST!! DOOWN!! THE!!! HERETIC!!!!!" (From "Cast Down the Heretic").
- However, the most spectacularly over the top (and awesome) example is "Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten":
"AND THOSE!!!! Who slither and crawl! SHAAALL RIIIIIIISE!! Again! Once mooore!! TO INHERIT! THEEEE!!!! EEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRTH!!!!!!"
- Katy Perry: CA! LI! FOR! NIA! GURLS! (From "California Gurls").
- YOU! MAKE! ME! Feel like I'm living a TEEN! AGE! DREAM!... (From "Teenage Dream").
- At the start of "Lez Be Friends": THE! MID! NIGHT! BEASTS!
- Shontelle: Tell them I was happy/And my heart is broken/All my scars are open/Tell them what I HOPED! WOULD! BE! IMPOSSIBLLLLLLLLLLLE! IMPOSSIBLLLLLLLLLLLE! IMPOSSIBLLLLLLLLLLLE! IMPOSSIBLLLLLLLLLLLE! (From "Impossible").
- YOU DON'T REMEMBER YOU DON'T REMEMBER WHY DON'T YOU REMEMBER MY NAME]] (From "Paranoid Android").
- YOU HAVE NOT BEEEEN! PAYING ATTENTION! PAY-ING A-TEN-TION! (From "2 + 2 = 5 (The Lukewarm.)").
- EIN WEG! EIN ZIEL! EIN MOTIV! RAMM! STEIN! (From "Rammlied").
- A-SCHE ZU A-SCHE! (From "Asche zu Asche").
- B▄CK DICH! (From "BŘck dich").
- DU! DU HAST! DU HASST MICH! (From "Du hast").
- The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway: "I'M RAAAAAEL!!!!" (From the song "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway", the first track on the album of the same name).
- I'M! NOT! LIKE! YOU! I! JUST! FUCK! UP! (From "People = Shit").
- NO! ONE! IS! SAFE!! (From "Disasterpiece").
- Brutal Death Metal rightfully uses this a whole lot. A particular example might be Whitechapel with their fittingly named song "This Is Exile" (by the end of the song it becomes awesome how he uses THIS! TROPE!).
- Madness: ONE! STEP! BEYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOND! (From "One Step Beyond").
- Fall Out Boy: This ain't a scene, it's a GOD! DAMNED! ARMS! RACE! (From "This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race").
- Britney Spears: I'M NOT. THAT. INNOCENT. (From "Oops!... I Did It Again").
- Sammy Hagar: "I! CAN'T! DRIVE! FIFTY-FIVE!" (From "I Can't Drive 55").
- Gorillaz: "Are we the. last. LIVING. SOULS? Are we the. last. LIVING. SOULS?" (From "Last Living Souls").
- Sodom: AUSGEBOMBT! (From "Ausgebombt").
- NOTHING COUNTS! MORE! THAN! BLOOD! (From "Nothing Counts More Than Blood", ironically).
- KNAR! REN! HEINZ! (From "Knarrenheinz").
- Die ─rzte: Dauerwelle, Dauerwelle! — Minipli, Minipli! (From "Dauerwelle vs. Minipli").
- ELKE! DIE FETTE ELKE! (From "Elke").
- The last two lines of Drunken Boat's "Tragic Hands":
I. hate. this. city.
Fuck. my. mind.
- Lich King are fond of this.
- CAN! NOT STOP! THE HORDES! OF GHOULS! WORLD! GONE DEAD!
SO FIRE! YOUR MISSILES AND ROCKETS AND LASERS AND RAILGUNS BUT NOTHING WILL SHORTEN HIS RULE! (From "Lich King III (World Gone Dead)").
- THE ONLY WAY TO EVER BEAT IT IS JUST! TO! TAKE! THE! STAAAAAAAAIRS! (From "ED-209").
- HUMAN HISTORY DIDN'T NEED YOU! YOU AREN'T WANTED! AND! ARE! DISMIIIIIIISSED! (From "Waste").
- The Thrash Metal band Forbidden does an especially spectacular version in "March into Fire":
- WE ALL! MARCH! INTO! FIIIIRRRRRRRRRREEEE!!!
- I just listened to The Lonely Island and I JIZZED! IN! MY PANTS!
- Dead To Me: IT'S ALRIGHT! TO COMPLAIN! IT'S ALRIGHT! TO FEEL PAIN! IT'S ALRIGHT! (From "Something New").
- From Ex Deo's "Storm the Gates of Alesia": I DECLARE! GAUL! A PROVINCE OF ROME!
- And debatably the following chant of "Veni!! Vidi!!! Vici!!" would count as well
- DMX—or D! M! X!, as he likes to call himself—uses this trope frequently in his raps, especially in his single "WHAT'S! MY! NAME?!".
- A few examples off the top of my head from this band called Linkin Park.
- "Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! SHUUUT! UUUUUUUUUP!"note
- "I'll MAAAAAKE! YOU! FAAAAAACE! THIIIIIIIS! NOOOOOOOW!note
- "I'VE! BECOME! SO NUMB! I CAN'T FEEL! YOU! THERE!"note
- "YOOOOOOOOUUU! TRY TO TAKE THE BEST OF ME! GO AWAY! YOU! TRY TO TAKE THE BEST OF ME! GO AWAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!"note
- "PUT ME OUT OF MY MI! SER! RYYYYYYY! PUT ME OUT OF MY... PUT ME OUT OF MY FUC! KING! MI! SER! RRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!"note
- Rapper The Game has been known to start live performances of "How We Do" by repeatedly chanting "(Insert rapper here) can SUCK! MY! DICK!".
- The chorus of "Bust It Baby, Pt.2" by Plies featuring Ne-Yo: BUSSST! IIIIIIT! BABYYYY!
- Most of the bridge of Holiday by Green Day. Sieg Heil to the President gas man, bombs away is your PUN-ISH-MENT! Pulverise the Eiffel Towers, who criticide your GOV-ERN-MENT! Bang bang goes the broken glass man, kill all the fags that DONT! A-GREE! Trials by fire setting fires, is not a way that's MEANT! FOR! ME!.
- HammerFall, like most Power Metal bands, use this frequently
- "KILL! WIN! LIVE! DIE!" — "Any Means Necessary" from No Sacrifice, No Victory
- "Unbent! Unbowed! Unbroken!" — "Fury Of The Wild" from Chapter V
- They play this trope across an entire song- "Warriors Of Faith" from Legacy Of Kings
- Midlife Crisis by Faith No More: Your Men! Stru! At! Ing heart! it ain't Bleeding! Enough! For! Two!
- WHAT! IS! IT! THAT'S IT! WHAT IS IT!!
- Delta Goodrem: TWICE!: SO! GO! AHEAD!, TAKE! HER! TO! YOUR! BED!!! in "Alcohol". MAY! I! REMIND! YOU!, WHO! I WAS! BEFORE! YOOOOOOOOOOU! in "Control".
- The genre D-Beat is composed almost entirely of this.
- Oh! I'm! Curious! Yeah! Sajin sok nega! Sun! Gan! Misojieo wae? Hey! Oh! I'm! So! Curious! Yeah! I'm! So! Curious! Yeah!note
- The Aquabats!:
- "Captain Hampton and the Midget Pirates!": "Where? Was? The Captain?!"
- There's something I don't want you to understand! The only way a woman's gonna want a man! The only way you'll ever keep her in your hands is breaking! Apart! Her heart! (From "Break Apart Her Heart".)
- Foals have I! CAN'T! GET! ENOUGH! SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE! from Inhaler.
- Gary Moore's iconic duet with Phil Lynott — OUT! IN! THE! FIELDS! — which has often been copied to varying degrees by European Power Metal bands.
- Just think, while we were getiing worried about this trope, and all the liars and the dirty dirty cheats of the world, we could be getting down to THIS. SICK. BEAT.