Punctuated For Emphasis: Live-Action TV
- Family Matters: "Carl! Carl … Otis … Winslow!" Said by Harriet, reprimanding her husband (for accidentally discarding her late aunt's cremains in with fireplace ashes and keeping quiet) … shortly after Carl had lectured Eddie about gambling at an underground casino to cover up the fact that, while being an unlicensed driver, he was involved in a car accident with the family car.
- In an episode of Happy Endings, Jane sees Penny's new helmet that she has to wear because of her most recent (of many) head injuries, and goes so far as to say the punctuation in her sentence. "What question mark is question mark that question mark?"
- Teen Wolf: "Give me...the bottle...of Jack."
- "We. Are. Closed."
- The Honeymooners Ralph Kramden: "YOU! ARE A! BLABBERMOUTH!!!'"
- American Idol: Simon Cowell. "What. The Hell. Was That?"
- Drake & Josh: Josh:
- A villainous example, done fairly quietly and far more effective as a result, from the Doctor Who episode "Utopia":
"I. Am. The Master."
"THOSE. WORDS. ARE. BLASPHEMY!"
- And this one, which was just a bit louder: "HERE! COME! THE DRUMS!!!"
- EX-TER-MI-NATE! The Daleks Turn It Up To Eleven by emphasizing every single syllable, and it's made them icons of British TV. And the Dalek Emperor says that yes, actually, this is blasphemy.
- "DO! NOT! BLASPHEME! DO! NOT! BLASPHEME!"
Davros: "THE DALEKS! SHALL! BECOME! LORDS! OF! TIME! WE! SHALL! BECOME! ALL-"
- Davros, the Daleks' creator, taught them how to talk this way, so naturally he does it himself. Big Finish Doctor Who has one of the more epic examples: "I! Will! Not! Cower! I! Will! Not! Die! I! Will! Not! Die! This! Is! Not! The end! This! Is! Only! THE BEGINNING!"
- "YOU! WILL! TELL! ME!"
- "I! WILL! SHOW! YOU! THE FOLLY OF YOUR WORDS! DOK-TOR!"
- "YOU FOOLS! YOU! CANNOT! KILL! ME! I! AM! DAVROS!"
- I! WILL! GO ON!
- Or this exchange between Davros and the Seventh Doctor:
Seventh Doctor: (Interrupting him) "-POWERFUL! Conquer the galaxy! Crush! The lesser races! UNLIMITED! RICE! PUDDING! ETCETERA! ETCETERA!"
"And I decreed: No! More!"
- From the 2008 finale: "THIS! Is my ultimate victory, Doctor! THE DESTRUCTION! OF REALITY! ITSELF!"
- "DETONATE! THE REALITY! BOMB!"
- "NOTHING! CAN! STOP! THE DETONATION! NOTHING! AND! NO ONE!"
- "NEVER FORGET! DOCTOR! YOU! DID THIS! I! NAME! YOU! FOREVER! YOU ARE THE DESTROYER OF WORLDS! AAAAARRRGGGHHH!!"
- The Dalek Emperor: "DO! NOT! FIGHT! IN! HEEERE!"
- Seven in "Battlefield": "STOOOOOOOP! I COMMAND IT! THERE. WILL. BE. NO. BATTLE HERE!!!"
- "The Doctor's Daughter" contains the line "I. Never. Would." Cranking that Tranquil Fury.
- The Ninth Doctor in The Doctor Dances: "GO — TO — YOUR — ROOM!"
- In "Father's Day": "Jackie Tyler, do as I say! GO! AND CHECK! THE DOORS!"
- In "The Christmas Invasion", the Sycorax leader and the newly-regenerated Tenth Doctor both speak like this: "I DEMAND TO KNOW. WHO. YOU. ARE!" "I. DON'T. KNOW!"
- Again from the 2008 finale, the absolutely epic Moment of Awesome from Dalek Caan, of all characters, ends with:
Mr Connelly: I! AM! TALKING!Doctor: And I'M! NOT! LISTENING!
- The 1996 Eighth Doctor TV Movie gave us "THIS! IS! AN! AMBULANCE!" from the Master.
- WHO! AM! IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII??????????????????!!!!!!
- The same film gave us "I! AM! THE DOCTOR!"
- And who could forget — "THERE ARE! NO! MACRA!"
- From "The Idiot's Lantern";
Master: DON'T! YOU! DARE!
- In the classic serial "The Three Doctors", Omega, who is one of the largest hams what ever hammed, even by Doctor Who standards, speaks pretty much all of his lines this way. "I. AM. THE. CREATOR. OF. TIME. LORD. SOCIETYYYYYYY!"
- Donna pulled this off when she first saw the Doctor again in "Partners in Crime", although we only see her mouthing the words(through soundproof glass): "Oh! My! GOD!" followed by, "This! Is! BRILLIANT!"
- The End of Time gives us this, combined with a Crowning Moment of Awesome AND a Heroic Sacrifice from the Master, of all people: "YOU DID THIS TO ME! ALL OF MY LIFE! YOU! MADE! ME!! ONE! TWO!! THREE!!! FOUR!!!!"
- As he comes back to life: "NEVER! NEVER! NEVER DYING! NEVER DYING!"
- Lucy Saxon gets hers in this dueling Punctuated! For! Emphasis! with the resurrected Master:
Lucy: TILL DEATH! DO US PART! HARRY!
- Also from The End Of Time: "Worst! Rescue! EVER!"
- FOR THE END! OF TIME! ITSELF!
- Timothy Dalton's furious "I will NOT! DIE!!!!"
"By the ancient rites of combat, I forbid you to scavenge here for the rest of time. And when you go back to the stars and tell others of this planet, when you tell them of its riches, its people, its potential, when you talk of the Earth, then make sure that you tell them this... IT! IS! DEFENDED!"
- The Christmas Invasion:
- Flesh and Stone: "LIKE! ME! FOR! INSTANCE!" Matt Smith can yell with the best of them.
- The Vampires Of Venice: "WE! ARE! VENETIANS!!!"
- Amy's Choice: "THIS VILLAGE! IS SO! DULL!"
- The Pandorica Opens: "Could you lot just stay still for a minute, 'cause III! AAAAM! TALLLLKIIING!"
- Victory of the Daleks: "YOU! ARE! MY! ENEMY!" (each word punctuated by the Dalek in question being pummled by a big wrench) and later "I am the Doctor, and YOU ARE! THE! DALEKS!"
- The Daleks in that episode as well: "WOULD! YOU! LIKE! SOME! TEA?!" "I! AM! YOUR! SOLDIER!" and "YOU! DO! NOT! REQUIRE! TEA?!"
- Rory gets an excellent one in A Good Man Goes To War: Where. Is. My. Wife.
- Bonus points for this being delivered in Roman uniform
- Even more for managing to scare the living crap out of the Cybermen.
- I am The Last of the Timelords! The Laws of Time are mine! And They! Will! Obey me!
- "Doctor Who!? Doctor Who!? DOC!TOR! WHOO!?"
- "I AM! HUMAN, I AM NOT! DALEK! I! AM! HUMAN!"
- "CLARA! OSWIN! OSWALD!"
- "HOW! MANY! NIMONS?"
- The League did this they called it the Shiva Blast
- "SHIVAKAMINI!! SOMAKANDARKRAM" watch it in action here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trtfyNvS30I
- Tom Servo: "EACH! OF! YOU! WILL! ENTER! A! SPACE! CAPSULE!!!"
- From Monty Python's Flying Circus: "I! HOPE! YOU'RE! EN! JOY! ING! THIS!"
- "I! DON'T! LIKE! SPAM!"
- "DOCTOR! DOCTOR! MY! BRAIN! HURTS!"
- "This! Is an ex! PARROT!"
- Anything said by a Gumby.
- In Full House:
Danny: How was your —Jesse: DO — NOT — ASK — ME — ABOUT — MY — DRIVING — TEST — CAPISHE?!
- In Scrubs, CCB stands for "Super. Chocolate. Bear".
- From "The Equalizer": LEAVE! THE LADY! ALONE! and YOU!.. ARE!!.. SCUMMM!!!
- "WHEEL! OF! FORTUNE!" Somewhat less Badass than other examples, at least until someone spins $5000 or so.
- Johnny Gilbert's announcement of "THIS! IS! JEOPARDY"
- Also, "And now, here is the host of 'Jeopardy'... ALEX! TREBEK!"
- This came full circle on the February 22, 2012 episode, where each clue had Johnny Gilbert reading a famous phrase beginning with "This is…" in the style of the intro. Naturally, one of them was indeed "This! IS! SPARTA!"
- The Office: "I! DECLARE! BANKRUPTCY!"
- Also from that season: "I! HAVE! HEMMORHOIDS!"
- Adam Savage of MythBusters parodies it when naming the dump-ammo-into-fire robot: "THIS! IS! SPARKY!!"
- Friends has Janice's Incoming Ham phrase "Oh! My! God!", that makes Chandler's balls "jump back up inside his body".
Ross: It. Was. My. Sandwich.Colleague: Now, now. Calm down — come look in my office. Some of it may still be in the trash. W-well, it was quite large; I had to throw most of it away!Ross: You-you-you-you. Threw. My. Sandwich. Away? My sandwich?! MY!! SANDWICH!!!!
- Ross does it twice in the same scene. An emphatic version of an infamous phrase ("We! Were! On! A! Break!") and "Front — and back'''!"
- And Ross again in this scene. As in:
- Freddie's countdown in iCarly: "In Five. Four. Three. Two..."
- And in some episodes when Carly and Sam describe the sketch they're about to do. ex: "MESSING! WITH! LEWBERT!"
- "MY! NAME! IS! SYLAR!"
- Merritt Rook in the Law & Order: SVU episode "Authority": "PUSH! THE! BUTTON!"
- Tsch, where is your history? Who can forget Higgins's perfect enunciation of "Oh. My. GOD!" in Magnum, P.I.?
- Stilgar in the Children of Dune miniseries, in response to being told that Alia has placed a bounty on his head: Well I say unto you! Send. Men. To summon. WOOOOOoooooorrrrrmmmmssssss. And we shall go to Arrakeen. To collect it. Also, in response to Muad'dib relaying an alliance offer from the spacing guild: "We haven't forgotten about the Guild...how they BLACKMAILED us for SPICE!". In fact, Stilgar's actor in the 'Children' series (different from his actor in the first miniseries) delivers enough of these lines to qualify as a Large Ham.
- Farscape: "HUMANS! ARE! SUPERIOOOOORRR!"
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: I. Owe. You. Pain.
Oz: Buffy, it makes sense to...
- "They got. The mustard. OOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUT!" The musical cadence and crescendo forced him into it, but it counts.
- Then there was The Prom, where Buffy is arguing with her friends because they want to help her fight the loser who wants revenge rather than attend the party.
Buffy: Have. A nice. Time.
- Flooded: NO! MORE! FULL! COPPER! REPIPE!
- Angel: Harmony. "Chanel's. Not. TACKY!"
- Probably the best-known line from This Is Wonderland — screamed by the Judge, no less -: "Bizarre! Mexican! Nightmare!"
AT! THE! 'LAAAAKE!
- "This... is coffee."
- Special Guest Richard Waugh (aka Albert goddamn Wesker), when repeatedly questioned about the whereabouts of his mother, eventually loses his patience.
- The Muppet Show: PIGS! IN! SPACE!
- A particularly awesome use in Star Trek: The Next Generation: "THERE! ARE! FOUR! LIGHTS!"
- Battlestar Galactica (2003): But I was! Elected! To Office! Which is more. Than Roslin. Can claim.
- And, notably: I. AM. COMING. FOR. ALL. OF. YOU!
- CSI: Miami: "You forget one thing: We. Never. Close."
- Horatio talks like this to show that things are really serious now.
- Star Trek: Enterprise: Seven. Million. People.
"I am not. In any way jealous. Of you and Corporal Cole."
- Done for Ship Tease in "Harbinger".
- Jeeves and Wooster: BRRRRUSSEL! SPRRRRROUTS!
- ANATOLE! HAS! GIVEN! NOTICE!
- Supernatural: After Bela steals Dean's scratch tickets: SON!! OF A BITCH!!!
- Veronica Mars: My Name! Is! Cassidy!
- Also: "You. Stand. Idly. By."
- Sid's dad on Skins:
Mark: What's the next class?
Mark: Right. Drama. Coursework. Fucking perfection. Or else!
Sid: Why are you talking in very short sentences?
Mark: EMPHASIS! Drama! Fuck off.
- Chef!: "Who — made — this — sauce?"
- "CLEAN! THIS! FRIGGING! KITCHEN!"
- Deadliest Warrior: Who? Is? DEADLIEST?!
- Entourage — GET! THE FUCK! OUT!
- The Sarah Connor Chronicles: "What. Is. All. this. ABOUT?"
- The League of Gentlemen: WE! BELONG! LOCAL!
- Kamen Rider: RAIDAA...HENSHIN...
: "I am the child of the Sun! Kamen Rider! [[Allcaps Black! R! X!]]"
- Kamen Rider Kabuto: The belts. "Cast! Off! Change! Beetle!" (or whatever other insect the Rider is modeled after).
- Kamen Rider Decade: Kuuga! Agito! Ryuki! Faiz! Blade! Hibiki! Kabuto! Den-O! Kiva! Final! Kamen! Ride! Decade!
- Kamen Rider Double: The belt announces things this way, e.g. "Cyclone! Joker!"
- Kamen Rider OOO: Taka! Tora! Batta! Ta! To! Ba! Tatoba! Ta! To! Ba! (And similar for the other combos - though the combo names don't get this apart from Tatoba, the individual medals are ALWAYS announced this way.)
- Kamen Rider Fourze: Three! Two! One! Henshin!
- Kamen Rider Wizard: The Wizardriver announces spells like this, in the form of "(Spell Name)! Please!" Kamen Rider Wiseman and Kamen Rider Mage's belts substitute "Now!" for "Please!".
- Drago Time! Set up! Start!
- Driver on! Please! Shabadoobi Touch Henshin! Flame! Please! Hii! Hii! Hii Hii HII! (And similarly for the other forms.)
- Kamen Rider Gaim: Not ALL the belts announce transformations like this, but many do. Examples:
- Orange! Lock! On! Soiya! Orange Arms! Hanamichi! On! Stage!
- Pine Arms! Funsai! Des-troy!
- Ichigo Arms! Shushutto! Spark!
- Suika Arms! Odama! Big! Bang!
- Wizard Arms! Shabadoobi! Showtime!
- Kachidoki Arms! Iza! Shutsujin! Ei! Ei! Oh!
- Fruits Basket! Lock! Open! Kiwami Arms! Dai! Dai! Dai! Dai! Dai Sho-gun!
- Blood Orange Arms! Ja no Michi! On! Stage!
- Silver Arms! Hakugin! New! Stage!
- Budou Arms! Ryu! Hou! Ha! Ha! Ha!
- Kiwi Arms! Geki! Rin! Sei-ya! Ha!
- Yomotsuheguri Arms! Mei! Kai! Yomi! Yomi! Yomi!
- Double Arms! Cyclone! Joker! Ha! Ha! Ha!
- Melon Arms! Tenka! Gomen!
- Fourze Arms! Seishun! Switch! On!
- Eureka has almost the exact quote in the bowling episode.
Bismark: This is blasphemy! Okay! This is madness!
Fargo: This! Is! EUREKA!
- Whose Line Is It Anyway?: Don't! You! Make! Fun! Of! My! Feet!
- The Wire: My name! Is! My name!
- Ashes to Ashes: We are police officers. And we are Un. Bloody. BREAKABLE!
- How I Met Your Mother: "I am NEVER! Eating RIBS! AGAIN! ...In front of TED!"
- "IT! WILL! NOT!... yield".
- This trope is pretty much Barney's default manner of speaking.
- The best example has to come from Ted, though. "You fight all. The. Time."
- A rare serious moment on Titus, talking about Matthew Shepard:
They killed him. Because Matthew Shepard was gay. They killed him! Because he was gay? They killed him.
- Snuff Box: YOU! WILL! NOT! TITTER!
- Chappelle's Show: FUCK! YOUR! COUCH! NIGGA! FUCK! YOUR! COUCH!
- Hell's Kitchen: Look! At! This! Look! LOOK! LOOK! What the * bleep* is this!?
- "You can kiss! My! Fucking! ASS!"
- GET. OUT. MY. SIGHT.
- AND DON'T EVER! COME UP TO MY PASS! AGAIN! AND TRY TO TAKE MY FUCKING PLACE!
- One of the Kitchen Nightmares openings has Gordon exclaiming "That! Is! Amazing!", possibly one of the rare occasions he's used this trope in a positive manner. His more-or-less Once an Episode Catch Phrase of "Shut the place down!" is usually said without emphasis, but on some occasions where things have been REALLY bad, it was emphasised "Shut! The place! DOWN!"
- Commercial for Life Alert® (the device made famous by the "I've fallen and I can't get up" commercials): A very old lady emphasises, "All. Senior. Citizens. Should. Have. Life Alert." (though given that she's on oxygen, this may also be because she only has enough breath for one word at a time)
- Babylon 5: No more! No more of you! No more Nightwatch! No more hostages! No more LIES! Not on my station! Not on my watch! NO MORE!
- Frasier: I! AM! WOUNDED!
- The Big Bang Theory :Our whole universe was in a HOT! DENSE! STATE!
- Hilariously, in a recent tour promoting his latest film (Law Abiding Citizen), Gerard Butler of 300 fame appeared on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross, and was asked (persuaded? bullied?) to introduce each and every guest in exactly this way. He introduced heavyweight champion of the world David Haye, Girls Aloud's Sarah Harding and comedian Michael McIntyre. Who then introduced Butler himself in similar style, complete with kick.
- Star Trek: The Original Series:
- Kirk: Do you HEAR! ME! WE'VE GOT! TO RISK! A FULL! POWER! START!
- HE! CAN! SOME! TIMES! DO! THIS! WITH! MUL! TI! PLE! SYL! A! BYLS! WITHIN! THE! SAME! WORD! OR! Shiftintomotormouthatamomentsnotice! AND! BACK! AGAIN! Fornoreasonwhatsoever!
- Kirk: Tall words proudly saying, "WE. THE. PEOPLE."
- More like: "WHEEE. THE. PEEE-POLE"
- Spock: It's NEVER! BEEN! DONE!
- I! AM! KIROK!
- McCoy: Now, isn't that a thought? Here we are, antibodies of our own galaxy, attacking an invading germ. It would be ironic indeed if that were our sole destiny, wouldn't it? Kirk: Antibodies! AN! TI! BO! DIES!
- Kirk: Do you HEAR! ME! WE'VE GOT! TO RISK! A FULL! POWER! START!
- Seinfeld" He took...it out.
- Misfits: "If you could just see yourselves! It breaks my heart...YOU'RE! WEARING! CARDIGANS!"
- The Electric Company: HEY, YOU GUUUYYYSSSSS!
- The Big Comfy Couch: HEY...WHO MADE THIS BIG MESS!!?
- Basically in any game show where the prize is some large amount of money, for example: "One. Million. Dollars!"
- Power Rangers RPM: "THAT! IS NOT! SPANDEX!!"
- Keeping Up Appearances: Hyacinth! Stop! That! At! Once! And! Get! Into! The! Car!
- Stonehenge Apocalypse: IT. WAS. A. ROBOT HEAD!!!!!
- "I...Need...DRUGS!" from Reba.
- Fun House: Let's! Get!! MESSY!!!
- The end of episode's Catchphrase from Most Extreme Elimination Challenge: "What do we always say? Don't! Get! ELIMINATED!"
- Medium: Dr. Charles Walker: I! WILL! NOT! GO!!!
- The Therapy Buddy from American Inventor: Everything. Is. Going. To. Be. All. Right.
- In the "Harper vs. Harper" episode of Mama's Family, Thelma and Naomi are arguing over a broken vacuum and a burnt rug. The judge gets increasingly agitated by their antics and delivers several lines WITH! LOTS! OF! WORD! EMPHASIS!:
- When Thelma tries to call Vinton as a witness:
- Naomi: He's my witness!
- Thelma: He's my son!
- Naomi: He's my husband!
- Judge: IT! IS MY! COURTROOM!
- After a subject diversion about Thelma's Aunt Minnie:
- Judge: I don't care about your Aunt Minnie!
- Thelma: Well, neither did Uncle Dooly. I think that's what pushed the woman right over the edge...
- Judge: I only care... about getting this case settled... getting you OUT! of my COURTROOM! and OUT! of my LIFE! Now you tell me! WHAT! HAPPENED! WITH! THE! CLEANER?!?!
- After Thelma tries to demand the money from Naomi:
- Judge: Now, I will not tell you again! LET! ME! HANDLE! THIS! CASE!
- There are other examples from the same episode. One wonders how that judge fared sanity-wise after the Harper case...
- When Thelma tries to call Vinton as a witness:
- The "Thin Ice" episode of The Sweeney: "That's. Not. My. Dog!"
- Dr. Oz and his audience introduce the GAME! OF! THE! DAY! in this manner.
- Used narmfully (of course) on The Secret Life of the American Teenager: "So. Did. I."
- Everybody Loves Raymond: When Raymond has a meltdown because of an approved snacks incident. "I don't think THAT'S! AN APPROVED! SNAAaaAACK!!"
- It's heard in the intro sequence to the "Word of Mouth" segments on Turner Classic Movies. At the very end, you can hear a voice say, "Damn. Good. Actress."
- Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: I HAVE A HEADAAAAAAAAAACHE!!
- On Sanctuary, Tesla's signature "Son. Of. A. Bitch."
- On Sherlock.
Sherlock to Kitty Reilly: "You. Repel. Me."
- The Oprah Winfrey Show: YOU! ARE! GOING! TO! AUUUUUSTRAAAAAAAALIA! Subject to much Memetic Mutation among Australians, since this particular clip was replayed pretty much everywhere by almost every channel for a while in the leadup to Oprah's actual visit.
- The Meeting Place Cannot Be Changed: "Crrriminal! Is! To! Be! JAILED!"
- Father Ted: Most of the time, Father Jack, who tends to stick with a handful of words. Namely "WHAT?!", "NO!", "DRINK!", "FECK!", "ARSE!", "GIRLS!"
Father Jack: NUNS! NUNS! REVERSE! REVERSE!
- Red Dwarf, the episode "Rimmer World"... "I! AM! HE!"
- "Do! Nothing! Press! Nothing! GET! KRYTEN!"
- Even Sesame Street, when Telly Monster is struggling to use a bubble wand for the first time: "I will blow a bubble! I have to! For this! Is! Bubble-Fest!"
- In "The Monster's Three Wishes", after Cookie Monsters wastes his wishes on "big, bigger, and biggest" trucks, he's left without his desired million cookies. That leaves him with only one option... "EAT! TRUCK!"
- Spartacus: Blood and Sand: I! AM! SPARTACUS!!!!!
- Jack Horkheimer Star Gazer: The titular Jack Horkheimer would like to remind everyone to "keep...looking...up!"note
- The Newsroom. In tonight's top story, Will asked Mac not to tell anyone the story of why they broke up. Then she accidentally sent an e-mail, explaining in some detail what happened, to the entire office...
Will McAvoy: You know how sometimes something happens in an instant that's so astonishing you just... shut down?MacKenzie McHale: Of course, that's understa–Will McAvoy: THAT DOESN'T! FUCKING! HAPPEN! TO ME!
- Lampshaded later with "You are a member of the worst period generation period ever period!"
- That '70s Show: "Dallas! Cowboy! Cheerleaders!"
- "We. Won. EVERYTHING!"
- Modern Family. In "Express Christmas", Phil tases a frozen game hen for emphasis after failing spectacularly to get a turkey and a baseball card for Jay.
Phil: Merry! Freaking! Christmas!
- Game of Thrones. King Joffrey's response to his uncle threatening to geld him.
"What did you say? What...did you...SAY?!"
- And later when he is dismissed for insulting his Dragon-in-Chief grandfather.
"Kneel. I said...KNEEL!"
- And later still, when he's trying his hardest to publically humiliate his uncle. This really seems to be his main tactic for intimidation.
- Malcolm in the Middle: Malcom's friend... Stevie... always talks... like this. (It's because he has severe asthma and only really has enough breath for one or two words at a time). This actually worked to his advantage at one point, when he unleashed sweet revenge on Reese while yelling (well, as much as he can yell) "Reap... the whirlwind!"
Burgess: Well, DCI Luther. First you umm...you assault me... YOU PUBLICLY-ASSAULT-ME!
- In The Borgias, Rodrigo has had a few of these moments, most notably "We will. EXCOMMUNICATE! FLORENCE!" Then there's Juan, who's not exactly sane at this point, yelling "MACHIAVELLI! KNOWS! EVERYTHING!" as part of a rant blaming Cesare and Machiavelli for not telling him another army was joining the battle.