Series: The Big Comfy Couch
The Big Comfy Couch
was a show that aired on children's networks such as PBS
in the 1990s. It featured a female clown named Loonette (portrayed first by Alyson Court
, then by Ramona Gilmour-Darling) with her doll, Molly. Both of them lived in a house with an enormous couch and a rug shaped like a clock, where Loonette would engage in a bizarre "clock stretch".
The series originally lasted from 1992 to 1996, five seasons. It debuted in the U.S. in 1995. It was revived for a 6th season in 2002. A 7th season was added in 2006. It has been the last so far. A total of 100 episodes were completed.
This show provides examples of:
- Aside Glance: Loonette does this in "Lettuce, Turnip and Pea." and "Ping Pong Polka".
- Catch Phrase: "Package for Loonette the Clown!" - Major Bedhead
- Clucking Funny: Loonette pulls a rubber chicken out of the couch in a lot of episodes.
- Crossover: The Dustbunny and Foley Family segments both crossed over when Loonette mistook one of the Dustbunnies for a doll and put it in the dollhouse.
- Bag of Holding: Or rather, a couch of holding.
- The Doll Episode: Done almost every episode in the first 5 seasons with a family in a dollhouse named The Foleys.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: And how. The show was about a . . . big comfy couch. The clock stretch rug was a rug shaped like a clock for doing stretches.
- Every Episode Ending And the clown jumped over the moon!
- Getting Crap Past the Radar:
- Hammerspace: Major Bedhead's bag in a couple episodes.
- Hide Your Pregnancy: Averted. Loonette's clown suit was baggy enough to hide the fact that Alyson was pregnant in her last season.
- Hypno Fool: In one episode, Molly refuses to take a nap. Loonette decides to try and hypnotize her, but ends up hypnotizing herself instead.
- Medium Blending: When Loonette told a story, she was the only live-action character. The rest of the story was often told with story-page backdrops and puppets.
- Non-Ironic Clown: EVERY. SINGLE. CHARACTER. Heck, even the sun had a clown nose, and so did the dust bunnies (which were alive).
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: "Hey...WHO. MADE. THIS. BIG. MESS?!!!"
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: The Dust Bunnies, of course.
- Rummage Fail: Loonette searching for the thing she needed in the couch always led to this, with her saying "nope" every time she pulled out the wrong thing, which was about 3-4 times. All of the rejected items stayed on the floor for the duration of the show, until Loonette realized the mess she made. And then...
- Screen Shake: Used every now and then but abused in "Gesundheit".
- Stock Sound Effects: Boy howdy.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Uncle Chester replaced Auntie Macassar in Season 6.
- Under Crank: During the "10-Second Tidy".
- Viewers Are Morons: The "10-Second Tidy" usually lasted about a minute. And it was noticeable.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Loonette did this a couple times. Once she did it to prank Major Bedhead.
- You Mean Xmas: The show's holiday episode entails the entire cast pulling an all-nighter in Granny Garbanzo's wagon (including Auntie Macassar) and exchanging gifts on the longest night of the year, also known as the Winter Solstice. That date falls on December 20 or 21 in real life.