- "The place where I come from is a small town
They think so small, they use small words
But not me; I'm smarter than that
I've worked it out
I'll be stretching my mouth to make those big words come right out"
- "Red Rain" (5:39)
- "Sledgehammer" (5:12)
- "Don't Give Up" (feat. Kate Bush) (6:33)
- "That Voice Again" (4:53)
- "In Your Eyes" (5:27)
- "Mercy Street" (6:22)
- "Big Time" (4:28)
- "We Do What We're Told (Milgram's 37)" (3:22)
- "This Is The Picture (Excellent Birds)" (feat. Laurie Anderson) (4:25) (CD bonus track)
This Is The List (Excellent Tropes):
- Alliterative Title: "Red Rain"
- And Starring: Kate Bush sings along during "Don't Give Up".
- Book Ends: The video for "Big Time" both begins and ends with Gabriel, with a Fake American accent, saying "Hi there!". The song itself just has that part in the intro.
- Broken Record: "Big Time" has the word "big" repeated ad finitum near the end.
- Downer Ending: "In Your Eyes" was written to win back a woman Peter lost — it didn't work. (It did, however, work for Lloyd.)
- Epic Rocking: "Red Rain".
- Face on the Cover: Gabriel's face in close-up.
- God Is Love Song: "In Your Eyes" is sometimes mentioned by Peter as being this.
- Heroic BSOD: "Don't Give Up" is about a man driven to suicidal depression after becoming unemployed.
- Intercourse with You: "Sledgehammer".Oh let me be your sledgehammerThis will be my testimonyShow me round your fruitcageCause I will be your honey beeOpen up your fruitcageWhere the fruit is as sweet as can be
- Lyrical Cold Open: "Big Time".
- Minimalistic Cover Art: The vinyl covers (except the 25th anniversary version cover) only feature the photo of Gabriel, without text. The other formats are aversions of this.
- Money Song / "I Want" Song: Again, "Big Time".
- New Sound Album: Compared to his previous albums.
- One-Word Title: "So" and "Sledgehammer".
- Rearrange the Song: "This Is The Picture (Excellent Birds)" is an alternate version of Laurie Anderson's own song "Excellent Birds" (on which Gabriel provided backing vocals).
- Special Guest: Kate Bush on "Don't Give Up" and Laurie Anderson on "This Is The Picture (Excellent Birds)".
- Unusual Euphemism: "Sledgehammer" is about Gabriel's "sledgehammer".
- Viewers Are Geniuses: "Milgram's 37", as those who pay attention to psychologists know, is about Stanley Milgram's subjects in his shock experiments, "Mercy Street" is about/Inspired By the works of the late poet Anne Sexton, who wrote the source of the song's title - 45 Mercy Street.
The Stooges (Album) UsefulNotes/Rolling Stone: 500 Greatest Albums of All Time From Elvis In Memphis