Literature: Geography Club
is a novel by Brent Hartinger about Russel Middlebrook, his friend Min, and a group of teenagers who start a Gay-Straight Alliance at their high school. Fearing backlash, they call it the Geography Club
, in the hope that no one will join a club so boring.
This is the first book in The Russel Middlebrook Series
. The sequels are The Order of the Poison Oak
, Double Feature: Attack of the Soul-Sucking Brain Zombies/Bride of the Soul-Sucking Brain Zombiesnote
, and The Elephant of Surprise.
Now a major motion picture scheduled for release in 2013. The trailer is here.
Geography Club provides examples of:
- The Ace: Kevin, who's a star athlete and one of the most popular guys in the school.
- Accidental Truth: Someone starts a rumor that Russell is gay middway in the novel.
- Alliterative Name: Brian Bund, the school's punching bag.
- Armored Closet Gay: Kevin, who desperately doesn't want to come out since he's on the baseball team and a popular jock.
- Asian and Nerdy: Russel's best friend Min, though not overtly so.
- The Beard: Russell gets a girlfriend, though only because his friend blackmailed him into it.
- Bi the Way: Min, who was dating Terese for awhile.
- Chew Toy: Brian Bund, the school's outcast and bully magnet.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Gunnar, who is very spacey but sweet.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Poor Gunnar, who desperately wants a girlfriend so much that he lets himself get belittled by Kimberly.
- Driven to Suicide: Ike reveals to the group he nearly killed himself. He got better, thankfully.
- Eating Lunch Alone: Brian Bund, who does it everyday.
- Fag Hag: Min, to Russel.
- Gay Bravado: The first chapter in the locker room between both Russel and Kevin. Hilarious in Hindsight, as both characters were in fact gay.
- Gay Guy Seeks Popular Jock: Arguably the Trope Codifer, with Russel crushing on Kevin.
- Gayngst: Natch.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Kimberly, annoyingly so.
- I Am One of Those Too: A straight girl actually wants to join the Geography Club, to the group complete and utter surprise.
- Lesbian Jock: Terese, who is on the soccer team.
- Straight Gay: All the male gays in the book, Russel, Kevin and Ike. Russel is a bit effeminate, but can pass.
- Token Lesbian: Terese. Min might also be considered a token bisexual.
- Transparent Closet: Russel's best friends sees through his closeted state. "Come on, Russell. Animated Disney musicals?"
'The Order Of The Poison Oak provides examples of: