Music / The Midnight Beast
The Midnight Beast is
just another Boy Band
a British comedy band consisting of Stefan Abingdon, Dru Wakely, and Ashley Horne. They mock the living hell out of stuff for a living.
First coming to prominence in 2009 with their Youtube parody
's "Tik Tok", they have since gone on to:
- be among the most viewed and subscribed producers on YouTube
- top the iTunes charts in multiple countries
- make videos for MTV and The BBC
- play several major concert festivals
This band provides examples of:
- All Guys Want Cheerleaders: Averted in "Booty Call", they'd rather engage in a Ho Yay-filled slumber party.
- Ambiguously Gay: Ashley.
- Auto-Tune: Used heavily. The "Just Another Boyband" video implies that they sound terrible without it.
- Boy Band: Parodied, obviously, in "Just Another Boyband". Going by TV Tropes' own formula, Dru is the Bad Boy, Stefan is the Heartthrob/Sweet One, and Ash is the Cute One.
- British Political System: The subject of their "House Party" video for BBC Comedy, created for the 2010 General Election.
- Chromatic Arrangement: Used in "The Dance Routine" and their live shows. Stefan wears red, Ashley wears blue and Dru wears green.
- Don't Explain the Joke: The addition of a hilariously superfluous "if you know what I mean" in "Lez Be Friends" following an extremely non-subtle proclamation by Stefan that he is going to have sex with lots of girls.
- Dubstep: In the "Dubstep On My Mouth Skit", it's an evil force replacing their voices with "offensive noises".
- Mr. Fanservice: All three of them.
- Ho Yay: Getting more and more obvious with each music video.
- It's pretty much the entire point of "Booty Call".
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Lez Be Friends.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Ninja: "OF THE DANCEFLOOR!"
- Katanas Are Just Better: They get you into nightclubs, apparently. But are not actually like Stefan's hands.
- Lucky Charms Title: St£fan.
- However, this was only used once, in the "Tik Tok" parody, to mimic Ke$ha.
- Metaphorgotten: From "Ninjas":
Stefan: And my hands are like samurai swords/but they're not metal so nothing like swords/they're just hands...
Dru: What the fuck you sayin', man?
- Overly Long Name: According to "The Dance Routine," Stef's full name is Stefan James Donald John Abington
- Parental Abandonment: Dru. See Running Gag.
- Parody: So far, of Ke$ha's "Tik Tok", Jay Sean's "Down", and (as "XXXMas Buddies") Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas".
- Record Producer: They most recently produced the Selena Gomez track "When The Sun Goes Down" from her album of the same name.
- Running Gag: Dru's dad. Peaks with "Daddy".
- Shout-Out: Some of the more obvious include:
- Uncomfortable Elevator Moment: In the beginning of "Just Another Boyband," with the song's melody playing as the awkward elevator music
- Take That - Now let's copy "Poker Face", like whoa whoa oh oh.