Music: Children of Bodom
metal band from Espoo, formed in 1993 under the name of IneartheD. Their name was inspired by the Lake Bodom murders.Their breakthrough was the album Follow the Reaper, which was the band's first album to receive a Gold certification in Finland. Since then, all six of the band's studio albums have reached the same status. In Finland, Children of Bodom has released three consecutive albums that debuted at number one on Finnish album charts, and has also seen chart positions on the United States Billboard 200.The band is also known for its rather vague genre, which has caused much heated debate, but could best be described as a mix of death metal, elements of black metal in their early/later work, some groove metal elements, thrash metal in later works and (even though many will deny it) a bit of power metal.Children of Bodom is a Finnish
Examples of tropes:
- Alexi Laiho - vocals, guitar
- Roope Latvala, guitar
- Janne Wirman, keyboards
- Henkka Seppälä, bass
- Jaska Raatikainen, drums
- Something Wild, 1997
- Hatebreeder, 1999
- Follow the Reaper, 2000
- Hate Crew Deathroll, 2003
- Are You Dead Yet?, 2005
- Blooddrunk, 2008
- Skeletons in the Closet, 2009, a cover album
- Relentless Reckless Forever, 2011
- Halo Of Blood, 2013.
Examples of tropes:
- Atomic F-Bomb: Heard in "You're Better Off Dead".Did I ever hurt you in any way? If I did then hear my apology: FUCK YOU!!!!
- Bishōnen: Alexi, Janne and Henkka.
- Cast Full of Pretty Boys: Just look at the picture!
- Cover Version: A whole cover album, Skeletons in the Closet. They also covered "Oops I Did It Again" at an earlier date; the song was also included on the album. Halo of Blood features a Roxette cover, of all things.
- Cluster F-Bomb: It would be a tall order to count how many times Alexi sings the word "Fuck" or any of its derivatives throughout their discography.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Alexi tends to be mistaken for a girl at times.
- Genre-Busting + Genre Roulette. Happens frequently throughout their discography.
- Gratuitous English: Alexi's English isn't all that good.
- Indecipherable Lyrics: The band doesn't publish the lyrics to half their songs, and Alexi is famous for singing whatever he feels like live. The result: a fandom constantly trying to figure out what the hell they might be singing in each song.
- Lead Bassist: Henkka Seppälä is primarily Type C, as the Face of the Band alongside Alexi Laiho.
- Meaningful Name
- Mohs Scale of Rock And Metal Hardness: Generally 8, with a few songs that get up to 9. This is quite high for a Power Metal band, and yet a bit low for a Death Metal band.
- Mondegreen: During the chorus of Needled 24/7, one line can be misinterpreted as, "MY ASS JUST CATCHES FIRE AND MY HEART STARTS TO BURN!".
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: Their style can be summed up as "Neo-Classical Progressive Blackened Melodic Death/Thrash Power Metal"... or something. Generally it's easiest to refer to them as "extreme power metal" (Note: Not to confuse them with DragonForce, who call themselves this, but have more Speed Metal than Extreme Metal in their sound), which is what people do. It's not a good idea to mention the black metal influence among devout metalheads, of course.
- Alexi Laiho has stated that he views the band as simply "Extreme Metal", finding the other sub-genres too restrictive.
- Nietzsche Wannabe: Skewered in "Cry Of The Nihilist" and, to an extent, "Pussyfoot Ms. Suicide".
- No Pronunciation Guide: The name is a shibboleth. An Espoo native would pronounce it "boo-dum", while everyone else will pronounce it "bow-dom" or "boddom".
- Older Than They Look: Alexi is 35, but could pass for his mid-early 20's.
- Refuge in Audacity: The band name referencing the most infamous Finnish murder case ever is only the beginning.
- Something Only They Would Say: Only an Espoo native will pronounce the band as "boo-dum". Everyone else will pronounce it "bow-dom" or "boddom".
- Trope Codifier: Of modern melodic death metal.
- Word Salad Lyrics: Very, very often. This can largely be owed to Laiho's less-than-spectacular grasp of English.
- X Meets Y: DragonForce meets early In Flames.