I'm so sick of love songs, so tired of tears
So done with wishing you were still here
Said I'm so sick of love songs, so sad and slow
So why can't I turn off the radio?Ne-Yo (born Shaffer Chimere Smith on October 18, 1979) is an African-American and Asian-American Contemporary R&B and pop singer, songwriter, producer, dancer and actor. His discography includes six studio albums, two compilations and 28 singles.To date, he has attained 10 top 40 hits on the Billboard Hot 100, seven of which reached the top ten. In addition to his work as a recording artist, he has also written and produced songs for artists such as Rihanna, Beyoncé, Céline Dion, Whitney Houston, Carrie Underwood and Enrique Iglesias; he was appointed Motown's Senior Vice President of A&R in 2012. In 2015, he also appeared in Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No! and portrayed the Tin Man in NBC's live telecast of The Wiz.He also has a Twitter.Discography:
- In My Own Words (2006)
- Because of You (2007)
- Year of the Gentleman (2008)
- Libra Scale (2010)
- R.E.D. (2012)
- Non-Fiction (2015)
Tropes that apply to Ne-Yo and his works:
- Anti-Love Song: "So Sick" is written from the view of someone whose negative experience with a relationship turns him off romance entirely.
- Award Bait Song: "Never Knew I Needed" from The Princess and the Frog.
- Breakup Song: "So Sick" and "Let Go" from In My Own Words.
- Broken Record: Good luck counting how many times he says "I don't mind" in "Beautiful Monster" or "I just can't stop" in "Closer". "Who's Taking You Home" from Non-Fiction also uses this.
- Christmas Songs: "The Christmas Song" with Tasha Cobs.
- Everything but the Girl: The theme of Libra Scale is that after saving the city, he's awarded fame, money and power at the cost of never being able to fall in love. Not a problem until he actually falls in love with somebody.
- Fading into the Next Song: Many songs on Non-Fiction.
- Fun with Acronyms: R.E.D. stands for "Realizing Every Dream."
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: "Back to What You Know" from Year of the Gentleman and "Congratulations" from Non-Fiction.
- Intercourse with You: "Sexy Love" falls under both this and Silly Love Songs. "Telekinesis" from Libra Scale is a much more classical example.
- Just the Way You Are: "Part of the List", in a bit more wistful fashion than usual since he's recounting an ex-lover's quirks.
- Love Is A Drug: "Because of You" describes it as "the sweetest drug".
- Man of Wealth and Taste: Libra Scale portrays him as this. The concept is that he and his friends become superheroes called The Gentlemen, who fight crime while wearing fine suits and living the lap of luxury. "Champagne Life" in particular stands out.
- Nice Hat: He always wears a trilby, fedora, or coppola, partly for the image and partly to conceal the fact that he's balding before his age.
- Refrain from Assuming:
- He never did anything called "I Just Can't Stop". It's "Closer" you want.
- Similarly, you're out of luck if you're looking for "I Don't Mind". Try "Beautiful Monster".
- Don't bother looking for "Boyfriend". You're actually listening to "Single".
- Rhyming with Itself: "Beautiful Monster" rhymes "mind" (the noun) with "mind" (the verb) in the bridge.
- Sampling: "Miss Independent" samples Lil Bit's "Forget About Me".
- "Sesame Street" Cred: He appeared as himself in an episode of The Fresh Beat Band.
- Silly Love Songs: "Sexy Love" fits both this and Intercourse with You.
- Stage Names: His comes from a comment from a producer he's worked with, saying that he sees music the same way Neo sees the Matrix.
- Title Track: "Because of You" from the album of the same name.
- A Wild Rapper Appears:
- Wiz Khalifa appears in "Don't Make 'Em Like You".
- "She Knows" has Juicy J.
- Wolverine Publicity: Among others, he's collaborated with Peedi Peedi, New Kids on the Block, Jamie Foxx, Fabolous, Cassandra Steen, Jennifer Hudson, Rick Ross, Wiz Khalifa, Céline Dion, Remy Ma, Ghostface Killah, Mic Little, Sarah Connor, Rihanna, Plies, DJ Felli Fel, Kanye West, Jermaine Dupri, Jadakiss, The Game, Keri Hilson, Flo Rida, Phyllisia, Chrisette Michele, 50 Cent, Mariah Carey, Pitbull, Afrojack, Nayer, DJ Khaled, Chris Brown, Keyshia Cole, LL Cool J, T-Pain, Young Jeezy, Calvin Harris, Timbaland, Conor Maynard, David Guetta, Akon, Jessica Sanchez and Juicy J.
- You're Cute When You're Angry: "When You're Mad".