Series / The Fresh Beat Band
The Fresh Beat Band
(formerly called The JumpArounds
) is a children's TV series that premiered on Nick Jr.
on August 24, 2009 and ended on December 7, 2013. It focuses on Twist, Kiki, Shout and Marina - four best friends in a band who go to music school together and love to sing and dance. The series features a variety of pop songs performed by the Fresh Beats, and has grown very popular among kids and their parents.
An album was released in 2012 as well as a live concert tour.
An Animated Adaptation
, Fresh Beat Band Of Spies
, premiered on June 15, 2015.
The series has examples of the following tropes:
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Marina is a redhead/brunette in the live action series, but a blonde in the Animated Adaptation.
- Bad Vibrations: The Fresh Beats cause this when wearing the dinosaur suits in "Veloci-Rap Star". It's a direct parody of the iconic "shaking glass" from Jurassic Park.
- There's this Once an Episode exchange between Twist and Marina.
- "Wouldn't it be cool if..." (Twist)
- "That would be cool, but..." (Marina)
- "Well that's fine, if you want to do it the easy way." (Twist)
- "Hip hop and pop!" (Marina)
- "Kickin'!" (Kiki)
- "Cool beans!" (Shout)
- Color-Coded Characters: Each of the characters has their trademark color - blue for Marina, pink for Kiki, orange for Shout, and yellow for Twist. This extends to the bedrooms and cell phones of the band members.
- Couch Gag: Something funny related to the preceding episode is inserted into the dance break for "Great Day", which may be extended in order to accommodate it.
- Crossover: In August of 2012, The Gabba gang came over for a visit.
- Crowd Chant: "Fresh Beat Band! Fresh Beat Band! Fresh Beat Band!"
- Dance Sensation: "Loco Legs".
- Every Episode Ending: The song "Great Day" is used to cap off every show, usually alluded to with the line "What a great day!".
- Gender-Equal Ensemble
- Gonna Need More X: "We're gonna need a bigger rag!"
- Legacy Character: Marina has been played by two people.
- The Junior Beats also got switched around during seasons.
- Meaningful Name: A reed is a very important musical accessory. It is used to help certain woodwind instruments to create the vibration that is necessary for sound. The name "Melody" is meaningful, too.
- The Other Marina: She was originally played by Shayna Rose, but switched to Tara Perry after she got married.
- Rearrange the Song: "Great Day" is rearranged for one episode, so that the band can sing it around a campfire.
- Recurring Character: A few - Reed, Melody, Harper, and Ms. Piccolo.
- Recycled In Space: The cartoon spin-off, right in the name: "Fresh Beat Band OF SPIES!"
- Running Gag: Twist getting his foot stuck in a bucket.
- Theme Tune Roll Call: On Guitar... KIKI! On keyboard... SHOUT! On drums... MARINA! And the real MC... T-TW-TW-TW-TW-Twist in the house!
- The Power of Friendship: "Friends Give Friends a Hand".
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Marina and Kiki, respectively.