"I wonder if that music is what killed this grass."No, we're not making fun of the songs you sing while you're in the shower. However, if you sang any of these songs in the shower, then the shower would make fun of you. Just remember that the difference between music and noise is often purely subjective (even more so here). Besides, calling music like this noise is an insult to the very concept of sound itself. Important Notes:
— Hank Hill, King of the Hill
- Merely being offensive in its subject matter is not enough to justify a work as So Bad It's Horrible. Hard as it is to imagine at times, there is a market for all types of deviancy (no matter how small a niche it is). It has to fail to appeal even to that niche to qualify as this.
- When judging sales, keep certain facts in mind — for one, even a gold record can be considered a commercial failure if the previous record by the artist sold triple platinum.
- When considering music for this list, do some research and see if the album/band has had an important role in the development of something else. For example, Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music, despite being critically panned, helped form Noise Rock and Shoegazing, along with being considered the Ur-Example of Noise Music. The more experimental works of John Lennon and Yoko Ono, Unfinished Music No. 1: Two Virgins, Unfinished Music No. 2: Life with the Lions and Wedding Album, are also spared, as they were a major influence on the Avant-garde Music genre. This also applies to classical music as well, where The Rite of Spring is hailed as a musical milestone, though it's quite an uncomfortable one, and the works of Arnold Schoenberg show the composer's shift from harmony to atonality.
- If you heard it on a major radio station, however briefly, it is most likely not horrible.
- It is neither horrible music just because Todd in the Shadowsnote , The Rap Critic, The Needle Drop and/or any other Caustic Critic reviewed it, nor is it horrible just because it has a flood of negative reviews on Amazon.com. There needs to be independent evidence, such as actual critics (emphasis on plural) for example, to list it. Once it is listed, they can provide the detailed review.
- Try to find a sample on YouTube if possible for a song or work in question. It really helps get some perspective to see if a work qualifies for this trope or not. Many artists may remove their original post if they find the overwhelmingly negative feedback coming from a song, so if the song is deleted try to help out by finding an alternate link (if possible).