Sodom are a German Thrash Metal
band that, along with Kreator
, Destruction, and Tankard
, are seen as the Trope Codifiers
of the scene. Sodom's music style would greatly influence many late-1980s and early-1990s black metal bands, among others.
Tom originally formed the band along with Bloody Monster, Arius "Blasphemer", and Aggressor as a way to get out of working in the coal mines. Their music was influenced by Motörhead
, Tank, Accept
Though they were originally panned for being "a second-rate Venom clone with semi-inventive lyrics", Frank "Blackfire" Gosdzik came to the rescue, convincing Tom that thrash metal was moving beyond horror/occult/satanic themes to embrace political, societal, and war themes. Tom was already interested in various wars yet remained a peacenik. New inspiration culminated into Frank's full-length debut with the band, Persecution Mania.
- Tom Angelripper - vocals, bass (1981–present)
- Bernd "Bernemann" Kost - guitar (1996–present)
- Markus "Makka" Freiwald - drums (2010–present)
- Obsessed by Cruelty (1986)
- Persecution Mania (1987)
- Agent Orange (1989)
- Better Off Dead (1990)
- Tapping the Vein (1992)
- Get What You Deserve (1994)
- Masquerade in Blood (1995)
- 'Til Death Do Us Unite (1997)
- Code Red (1999)
- M-16 (2001)
- Sodom (2006)
- The Final Sign of Evil (2007)
- In War and Pieces (2010)
- Epitome of Torture (2013)
Other notable releases:
- In the Sign of Evil (EP) (1984): First studio release, considered part of the first wave of Black Metal. The entire EP is now included as bonus tracks on CD issues of Obsessed by Cruelty.
- Expurse of Sodomy (EP) (1987): Debut of Frank Blackfire on guitar, marks Sodom's transition to Teutonic thrash. The three songs from this (as well as a re-recorded "Outbreak of Evil") can now be found on CD issues of Persecution Mania.
- The Saw is the Law (EP) (1991)
- 30 Years Sodomized: 1982-2012 (compilation) (2012): Compilation of previously-unreleased tracks and live recordings, as well as songs hand-picked by Tom Angelripper from throughout their discography.
Sodom displays these tropes:
- Black Metal: Their older material is pretty much First Wave mixed with Speed Metal.
- Cover Version: "Iron Fist" and "Ace of Spades "by Motörhead, "Don't Walk Away" and "Turn Your Head Around" by Tank, "Cold Sweat" by Thin Lizzy, "Angel Dust" by Venom, and "20000 Feet" by Saxon,
- Chainsaw Good: What Knarrenheinz has on his left arm on the artwork for Code Red.
- Death Metal: Not themselves: but their older music would be a huge influence to such.
- Tapping The Vein does display some deathrash elements though.
- Epic Rocking:
- "My Atonement", "Christ Passion" , "Agent Orange", "Magic Dragon" and "Capture the Flag" clock at around 6 minutes.
- "Reincarnation" almost hits the 8 minute mark.
- Horrible History Metal: Somewhat of a given considering their lyrics.
- I Am the Band: Tom Angelripper
- Lead Bassist: Tom is a type A, B, and a C, being a highly skilled bassist as well as the vocalist and songwriter.
- Mascot: Knarrenheinz, a soldier wearing a gas mask.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Standard 8 to a soft 10, as par for Teutonic Thrash.
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: Thrash Metal, Black Metal, and Speed Metal all into one.
- Revolving Door Band: Angelripper remains the only member left.
- Satan: A common lyrical theme in their early days.
- War Is Hell: Though this became their main lyrical subject later.
- Thrash Metal: One of the "Three Teutonic Kings" of the genre along with Kreator and Destruction, though Sodom is arguably the heaviest of the three.
- The Vietnam War: Tom seems rather fascinated by it, given that he released two albums (Agent Orange and M-16) that deal with it.