Tankard is a German Thrash Metal band founded in 1982. Inventors of the “Alcoholic Metal”-genre.Tankard were formed by Andreas “Gerre” Geremia, Axel Katzmann and Frank Thorwarth. At the time, the band was known as Vortex and Avenger until the current name of Tankard was discovered by the band in a dictionary.As the band were not permitted to drink alcohol in the school, they smuggled their beer in with milk cartons. Soon after, band member Bernhard Rapprich left the band as his conservative father did not want him “hanging around with a bunch of drunks” and was replaced by Andy Bulgaropulos.In 1984, Tankard signed to Noise Records after narrowly missing out on signing with Steamhammer during a gig where guitarist Andy Bulgaropulous made the mistake of wearing a blue sweatshirt with a deer on the front creating the wrong image and causing Steamhammer to retract their offer of a contract.Members:
- Andreas “Gerre” Geremia (1982)- Vocals
- Frank Thorwarth (1982) - Bass
- Olaf Zissel (1994)- Drums
- Andy Gutjahr (1998)- Guitars
Tankard provides examples of:
- Drunken Song: By the truckload.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Their debut album, Zombie Attack, is the only one not (almost) entirely devoted to beer, alcohol and drunkenness.
- Gratuitous Spanish: In their 2012 album called "A Girl Called Cerveza" (Cerveza is Spanish for beer)
- Metal Scream: Being a Thrash Metal band, it was to be expected.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Between 7 and 9.
- Ode to Intoxication: Most of their discography.
- Thrash Metal