Deicide are an American Death Metal
band forming in the late 80s. The band started when the Hoffman brothers called Benton about a musical advertisement. Along with drummer Steve Asheim, they got together writing music under the name Amon, and within a month, they had recorded crude Feasting the Beast 8-track demo in Benton's garage and had started playing the occasional gig in the Tampa area.In 1989, Amon recorded their second demo, Sacrificial, at Morrisound with producer Scott Burns.
After signing onto Roadrunner records, the band's name was changed to Deicide at their request, then they finally got to the recording of their Self-Titled Album
, and they had gotten along since then...
Until 2004, where animosity between Benton and the Hoffmans erupted, causing the latter to leave, with Dave Suzuki and Jack Owen being live replacements for the band. Afterwards, Jack Santolla joined the band full time for The Stench of Redemption
, only to leave later to join Obituary
. Afterwards, The band wrote Till Death do Us Part
as a trio.
In 2009, they signed with Century Media, following the return of Santolla for To Hell With God
. Santolla left again, begin replaced by Kevin Quirion. They have just finished a new album called In the Minds of Evil
, which has been released on November 25, 2013.
- Glen Benton – lead vocals, bass guitar (1987–present)
- Steve Asheim – drums, occasional guitars (1987–present)
- Jack Owen – guitars (2004–present)
- Kevin Quirion – guitars (2008–2009, 2009–2010, 2011–present)
Notable Past Members:
- Brian Hoffman – guitars (1987–2004)
- Eric Hoffman – guitars (1987–2004)
- Ralph Santolla – guitars (2005–2007, 2008, 2010–2011)
- Deicide (1990)
- Legion (1992)
- Once Upon the Cross (1995)
- Serpents of the Light (1997)
- Insineratehymn (2000)
- In Torment in Hell (2001)
- Scars of the Crucifix (2004)
- The Stench of Redemption (2006)
- Till Death Do Us Part (2008)
- To Hell with God (2011)
- In the Minds of Evil (2013)
Tropes Displayed by this band:
- The Alcoholic: Supposedly the reason why Santolla was kicked out, at least according to Benton.
- Bald of Awesome: Jack and Kevin.
- Darker and Edgier: Phil Fasciana of Malevolent Creation fame compares the music to Slayer, saying that "It was like Slayer intensified a thousand times."
- I Am the Band: Steve Asheim
- Jerkass: Benton.
- Lead Bassist: Benton is a type B and C.
- Long Runner Line Up: The original lineup stayed for a whopping 17 years before Benton kicked the Hoffmans out.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Solid 10
- New Sound Album: The Stench of Redemption introduced noticeable melodic elements and neoclassical shred leads thanks to the influence of Santolla and Owen.
- Revolving Door Band: Averted, the original line up stuck until 2004, and even then, there have been little to no real changes in the lineup.
- Satan: The main lyrical theme.
- Start My Own: After the Hoffman brothers got kicked out, they got the rights to their old band name, Amon, and continued writing music under that name.
- Technical Death Metal: Stench displayed some elements of such.
- Title Only Chorus: "Satan Spawn the Caco-Daemon" among others
- Trope Codifier: Of Tampa Bay Death Metal. Also one of the codifiers of death metal in general, along with Obituary, Cannibal Corpse, and Morbid Angel.
- What Could Have Been: According to Trevor Strnad, Deicide was eying Ryan Knight for a potential spot shortly after one of Ralph Santolla's departures and very well may have gotten him if TBDM hadn't made the first move.