is a Christian Rock Opera
that modernizes the story of Jesus. It notably featured a number of major players in the Christian Rock world, such as former dcTalk member and current Newsboys frontrunner Michael Tait as the title character, along with John Cooper of Skillet, Audio Adrenaline's Mark Stuart, and Rebecca St. James.
This rock opera contains the following tropes:
- Alternate History / What If?: This is a "What If?" for The Bible: "What if Jesus was born in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania?" And moreover, what if Jesus wasn't born until the modern era?
- Angry Mob Song: "Execute", leading to Hero's crucifixion.
- Back from the Dead: The song "He's Not Here".
- Biblical Bad Guy: Jude, Kai, and Pilate.
- Big Applesauce: The story's Jerusalem.
- Call-and-Response Song: "A Few Good Men".
- Composite Character: Maggie is Mary Magdalene combined with the Samaritan woman at the well. Biblically speaking, though, Mary Magdalene was never recorded as being a prostitute.
- Corrupt Church: The Brooklyn Synagogue, under the leadership of Chief Rabbi Kai.
- Crucified Hero Shot: On the DVD musical performance, Hero's body draped over a street sign. In the graphic novel, an actual cross.
- Darker and Edgier: Its telling of the story of Jesus, by its modern-day Alternate History setting.
- Dark Reprise: "Intentions/Hero/Lose My Life With You".
- Department of Redundancy Department: International Confederation Of Nations.
- Devil in Disguise: Officer Devlin.
- Dirty Cop: Officer Devlin, working with Chief Rabbi Kai.
- Disney Death: Hero.
- Distracted by the Sexy: "Who's this beautiful girl?" at the end of "Man On A Mission", segueing into "Secrets Of The Heart".
- Divine Parentage: Hero, natch.
- Divine Race Lift: Given who portrays the Messiah, this story's Jesus is black.
- Driven to Suicide: Jude in "Intentions (Reprise)".
- Evil Cripple: Governor Pilate, in the DVD performance of "Kill The Hero".
- Flipping the Table: "Not In Our House", particularly the DVD performance.
- Foregone Conclusion
- Fun with Acronyms: International Confederation Of Nations, or I.C.O.N.
- God in Human Form: Hero.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: Maggie.
- How We Got Here: The story is told as a flashback from I.C.O.N. Agent Hunter, working undercover as one of Hero's disciples, who is in prison at the start of the first song.
- The Messiah / Messianic Archetype: Hero.
- Never Accepted in His Hometown: Played out in "Fire Of Love".
- One World Order: I.C.O.N., which has wiped out all religions except for Judaism.
- Passion Play
- Reprise Medley: "Intentions/Hero/Lose My Life With You".
- Setting Update: The story of Jesus...IN MODERN-DAY AMERICA TWENTY MINUTES INTO THE FUTURE IN AN ALTERNATE HISTORY!
- Sinister Minister: Chief Rabbi Kai, in cahoots with a dirty cop named Devlin.