Music: Soft Cell
80s synthpop duo comprising Marc Almond (voice) and Dave Ball (keyboards).
Non Stop Erotic Tropes:
- Berserk Button: If you ever meet Marc Almond, do NOT imitate the opening synth riff from "Tainted Love".
- Club Kid: "Bedsitter".
- The Cover Changes The Gender: "Tainted Love" swaps gender from Gloria Jones' original: "I gave you all a boy could give you..."
- Creator Backlash: Marc Almond doesn't seem keen on the cover versions these days. He has a rather ambivalent attitude to "Tainted Love" (partly for the reason mentioned under Berserk Button above) and outright hates "What".
- One-Hit Wonder: "Tainted Love" was their only Top 40 hit in Billboard.
- Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll: Oooh boy. They loved their "substances" - if it was out there, they'd try it. The stomach-pumping story may be an urban myth, but it's not particularly outlandish considering what they did get up to. For a blow-by-blow account, check out Almond's autobiography Tainted Life, which at times reads like a catalogue of which songs were produced under the influence of which drugs.