Manga: Spirit Circle
"...You coward. I'll have you die seven more times."An ongoing series by the creator of The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer and Sengoku Youko.Fuuta Okeya is an Ordinary High-School Student, except with the ability to See Dead People. His life is disrupted by the arrival of a Mysterious Transfer Student, Kouko Ishigami. Accompanying her is a mysterious ghostly man.When Fuuta interacts with the man, he accidentally reveals his ability to Kouko, who seems to recognize it, and him, immediately. She then strikes him with a strange object called a Spirit Circle. Fuuta is propelled into a vision of a tragic past life. While there, he sees a past version of her as well.When he awakens, Kouko informs him that she intends to have him die seven more times - six more times from reliving his past lives, then, once he understands, she will kill him herself.It is available via simultaneous publication from Crunchyroll here:
Spirit Circle provides examples of:
- Ancient Greece/Ancient Egypt: In Fuuta's life as Flors, he is a Greek architect, contracted by an Egyptian noble to build a sphinx.
- And You Were There: Due to the nature of the story, we see characters in different roles in each timeline, though there are usually common threads that make them similar in role in each timeline, though there are differences. One of Fuuta's friends in most of the time periods is an alcoholic, and Fuuta as Lafalle subconsciously remembers this and is therefore surprised when that man is a non-drinker in Lafalle's time period.
- Apocalypse Wow:In Lafalle's story (which takes place in the future), terrorists are trying to create a localized Black Hole device to lower the population. They fail and a black hole destroys the world. There is hope, however, as we learn that Lafalle's adopted daughter was beginning to figure out time travel.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: Averted. When female characters aee shown topless, their nipples are also shown.
- Death by Falling Over: How Vann dies. While taking his adopted daughter to a place where she could live after he eventually died of old age, he tripped and hit his head on a rock. Still managed to make it look dignified however, and we see that they had just about reached their destination.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Fortuna. Its part of what makes his evil so unnerving. For the sake of saving his friend East, he is willing to blow up a city, causing 20,000 deaths. When questioned about it, he doesn't see anything wrong with it. But even when meeting Koko years later, he welcomes her with open arms and asks her to stay in his home with him again. A city where he killed most of the population to have an undead army where the rest of the population who are alive are his servants. She is suitably horrified.
- Evil Overlord: Fortuna, the original creator of the spirit circles, destroys thousands in his spirit research, raises an army of the dead, and takes over Fuuta's body.
- Heel Realization: Fortuna gains one. For most of his life, he didn't see anything wrong with his actions which caused the deaths of thousands, as long as they benefited him or one of his loved ones. However when one of those loved ones comes back to kill him to avenge those deaths, he realizes his actions have been the actions of a mad man. However, he decides that it is too late to change during his current life. And after seeing a future where Kouko does kill Fukka and his soul, he dives back into full on villainy in his plan to stop it.
- Human Sacrifice: This is the focus of Fone's life. The leaders of his village, including Stona, Kouko's previous incarnation, engage in ritualistic human sacrifice. When Fone's lover Rei is chosen, he attempts to stop it.
- Knight in Shining Armor: In his life as Vann, is a warrior in medieval Europe, though his task - to kill a "witch" who turns out to be another of Kouko's previous incarnations, is not as heroic as he wished.
- Mayincatec: Fone's life takes place in such setting.
- Reincarnation - this is the main story element. Fuuta must relive all his past lives via the use of the eponymous "Spirit Circle".
- Reincarnation Romance - Closer to Reincarnation Rivalry. In every time period, Fuuta and Kouko come into conflict in some way, often fatally. The closest they ever reach to romance is one timeline where they manage to achieve a multi-decade friendship. However, in that timeline they still tragically come to blows.
- Samurai - In Fuuta's fourth life, he lives as a humble blacksmith during the time of the Samurai, and interacts with various samurai characters.
- X Marks the Hero - Kouko, the female lead, has an X-shaped scar on her forehead.