When the lights fade and the moon rises, anything can happen. The world becomes a carnival of shocks and chills. A whirling merry-go-round that never stops, spinning faster and faster, taking you on a frightening ride. I'm R. L. Stine, don't fall asleep... or you might find yourself in The Nightmare Room.The Nightmare Room
is a series of YA horror books written by R.L. Stine
in the early 2000s. Much like Goosebumps
, it is a horror Genre Anthology
series featuring a different short story filled with young kids facing off against ghosts, monsters, and other supernatural beings. Unlike Goosebumps, the stories are much
darker and the kid heroes don't always win
in the end.
It mostly pools from from The Twilight Zone
with its title, and its storytelling style.
It was adapted for television series in 2001 as part of the Kids' WB line-up. Sadly, because of the 9/11 attacks and the shift to have Saturday morning cartoons wiped from network TV in favor of either news or educational kids' TV, the show only lasted for 13 episodes
This show provides examples of:
- Accidental Truth: At the end of "Full Moon Halloween".
- Black Dude Dies First: The episodes "School Spirit" and "Full Moon Halloween" feature the same cast of characters and during both of them, the character of Freddie Goal suffers some type of horrible fate:
- "School Spirit": He's the first person to be taken by the ghost.
- "Full Moon Halloween": He is attacked by a werewolf at the end.
- Cassandra Truth: Dylan in "Scareful What You Wish For".
- Creepy Doll: Buddy in "Scareful What You Wish For".
- Cruel Twist Ending:
- "Scareful What You Wish For": It's revealed that Dylan's doll was brought to life by the party magician when he was a kid and he made the doll to be Dylan's best friend forever and the doll turned Dylan into a doll so he can do just that.
- "The Howler": After the kids stop the three spirits from possessing them and destroys the machine that can communicate with the spirits, the machine repairs itself. A security guard finds the machine and turns it on, which one of the spirits to possess the security guard. The possessed security guard takes the machine and plans to find two more victims for his friends to possess.
- "Full Moon Halloween": It turns out that Freddie's lie that he thought he made up about one of his classmate being a werewolf is true and he gets attacked by them.
- "Four Eyes": Jeremy's new glasses reveals that he can see monsters which are really aliens living among the humans and they plan to take over the world by replacing the humans as aliens. When they find out about him, they try to capture him. When his friend Cindy and her mom save him, they reveal that they were aliens the whole time and Cindy is actually the leader.
- "Dear Diary, I'm Dead": After Tess took the diary from Alex, Alex took back the diary and read the last entry revealing that Tess is going to die. Alex tries to save her but they both soon realize that the diary entry changes depending who's reading it and the entry was meant for Alex who ends up dying. Then the episode ends at the beginning of the episode revealing that Alex has no future because he's trapped in a time warp and is forced to relive every moment in the diary and he has no idea.
- Darker and Edgier: Than Goosebumps, and if it continued for more than a season, it would've been way darker than The Haunting Hour.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: While the main characters and their friends and family make it out okay (for the most part), the problems they had are shifted to someone else. ("Don't Forget Me", "The Howler", "Fear Games", "School Spirit", "Locker 13", "My Name is Evil", and "Camp Nowhere".)
- Foreshadowing: In "Four Eyes", Dr. Young tells Jeremy that his new glasses are going to make him see the world like he has never seen it before. His glasses reveal that he can see aliens. Also, the fact that Jeremy never saw Cindy's face with his glasses on and her mom's face being obscured when Jeremy first meets her hinted of their true nature at the end.
- "Groundhog Day" Loop: At the end of "Dear Diary, I'm Dead", it's revealed that the diary knew what was going to happen to Alex because he is trapped in a time warp forced to relive every moment in the diary.
- Halloween Episode: "Full Moon Halloween".
- Thirteen Is Unlucky: Only had 13 episodes.
- In "Locker 13", take a wild guess on what the number of the locker is that the main character has to use.