That's her on the hilltop.
Thus it was that I, Jennifer Strange, sixteen years next month and loyal subject of King Snodd IV in the Kingdom of Hereford, took on the rights and responsibilities of the last Dragonslayer.
Imagine your standard fantasy setting
, some place like Middle-earth
. You have your green, pastoral fields, your villages, your sheep, your kings and knights, and your medley of mythical creatures, including, naturally, dragons. Now, imagine that this place didn't
stay frozen in medieval stasis
, and instead continued to change through the years, and that it now exists at a point in time closer to modern age—the year 2007, to be specific.The Last Dragonslayer
, the first young adult fantasy
novel by Jasper Fforde
, is set herein. It was published in 2010. Our protagonist is Jennifer Strange, a fifteen year-old indentured servant and acting manager of Kazam, an employment agency for soothsayers and sorcerers in a world where the magic is gradually ebbing away
and succumbing to the advent of technology, while the manager Mr. Zambini is away for undisclosed reasons.
One day, a prophecy gets out that she is destined to kill the last surviving dragon, Maltcassion, allowing Consolidated Useful Stuff
to take over the dragon's vast domain and exploit it for financial gain. But Jenny doesn't want
to be the Last Dragonslayer; in fact, she takes a moral stand against it. The book chronicles her adventures as she confronts the problem—and, naturally, Maltcassion himself.
First of a planned trilogy.
- Awesome McCoolname: Maltcassion
- Balkanize Me, exaggerated: The unUnited Kingdoms.
- The Chosen One: Jennifer.
- Crystal Dragonslayer Jesus: The Mighty Shandar is regarded this way; Heaven, at least for dragonslayers, is referred to as the Palace of Shandar.
- Fantasy Counterpart Culture: The Ununited kingdoms are clearly a parellel version of the UK
- Informed Ability: Jenny is 16, but apart from a minor romantic subplot (all of maybe three paragraphs) she could as well be 30 or 50.
- In Its Hour of Need: Part of the Last Stand
- Last Stand: The Duke of Brecon pledges one.
- Mega Corp.: Consolidated Useful Stuff, or ConStuff, and their many subsidiaries.
- The Magic Goes Away/The Magic Comes Back: The magic level was once much higher but it's bottomed out and is slowly returning.
- Magitek: Magical parallels for microwave ovens, radar, the phone system and medical scanners are all mentioned. Unfortunately none of these work any more due to the low mana level
- The Mole: Gordon van Gordon
- Only Sane Employee: Jennifer. Tiger is in training to become this.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Dragons here are intelligent, erudite creatures with an unfortunate habit of torching villages and eating people.
- The Pardon: At the end
- Pokémon Speak: The Quarkbeast. "Quark!"
- Self-Fulfilling Prophecy
- Talk About the Weather: wizards don't.
- Think Nothing of It: Lady Mawgon
- Unstuck in Time: The Great Zambini
- The Watson: Tiger Prawns, and many times Jenny herself.