Lets Play: Venturian Tale
Greetings, fellow adventurers!
Venturian Tale is Let's Play Channel starring the Frye siblings, Venturian (Jordan), Homeless Goomba (Isaac), Immortal Kyodai (Cierra) and Bethany Frye
. Together they play a number of games, usually showing off interesting or unusual Mods for the game, and almost always getting sidetracked with their own hijinks.
Of particular note is that the siblings often slip into different character personas for fun, creating a recurring cast of characters and a (very) vague story and continuity.
They primarily play Garry's Mod
, but dabble in many others, including Let's Plays
of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
, Minecraft and Super Mario 64
As of late, Venturian has ended the Skyrim series and replaced it with a LP
of Fallout 3
- A Boy and His X: A girl and her Allosaurus.
- Action Girl: Kyodai and Bethany.
- Ax-Crazy: Jimmy Casket, Venturian's character in the GMod Murder videos.
- Back from the Dead: A Running Gag, usually after dying and respawning.
Don't you just love being back from the dead?
- Papa Acachalla.
- Princeton Quagmire, the fastest shooter in the West.
Princeton (Venturian): Princeton Quagmire never lays down to evil!
- Bad Bad Acting: This entire video is intentionally based on this trope. The whole thing is one big hodgepodge of this trope, Corpsing, and, to a lesser extent, Reading the Stage Directions Out Loud. This is the intro:
Johnny Ghost (Venturian): Yes, please! I'm yearning for nom-noms!
- Big Eater: Sally and Maddie. Sally constantly asks for waffles, while Maddie mentioned eating five buckets of popcorn in her first appearance.
- In the Waffle Gun video, Sally finally gets some waffles and constantly eats them throughout the videos entirety.
- When acting as Mario and Luigi, Venturian and Homeless decide that they're completely obsessed with eating pasta, and proceed to go on a rampage across town, claiming that everything is pasta and eating it.
- Characterization Marches On: Originally, in her first appearance (GMod Movie Theater POPCORN Map!), Maddie Friend and Billy were actually friends. Later videos would have her gradually turn into a Stalker with a Crush a few minutes in, until finally, the mere implication that Maddie was in the vicinity will send Homeless Goomba running for cover.
- Sally was obsessed with waffles in her first few appearances, not understanding the concept of more important things. Since she was clarified to be part of the Acachalla family, the waffles have been toned back.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: All of them could class as this. Venturian dips in and out of it.
- Crowbar Combatant: Bethany tends to partake in this as much as Gordon Freeman would.
- Destructive Savior: In their Minecraft videos, Venturian makes it their mission to save the Squidarians (Villagers) from the constant zombie attacks. He and Immortal proceed to break steal all their crops, destroy their furniture, cause Creepers to blow up their houses, and even seal the mayor up in the town's well so he can get some privacy.
- Epic Fail: Very often in their games. Not that it's any less funny than when they succeed.
- Fanboy/Fangirl: All four of them love Doctor Who.
- Especially evident with Venturian, who has incorporated the TARDIS mods into both A Skyrim Tale and A Fallout Tale. In the case of the former, Vahl is explicitly stated to be a Time Lord.
- Funny Background Event: Often at the start of videos, Venturian (or whoever else is hosting) will take a moment to give the audience an update or explain what they're doing. The others won't be polite enough to wait for him to finish and will often end up being as distracting as possible.
- Humanoid Abomination: The Toilet Toucher, a ghostly being who likes touching toilets. He can travel through toilets and according to Ghost, is the highest ranking form of ghost. He's also the only being to inspire genuine fear in Jimmy.
- Sally is sometimes depicted as this.
- Hell Is That Noise: The Toilet Toucher's laugh and screams.
- Insane Troll Logic: Most of Johnny Ghost's theories.
- Insistent Terminology: In the Minecraft Tale videos, skeletons are, without hesitation, dubbed 'Skeleton Katniss'. Villagers are Squidarians, and most of the animals are dubbed names such as 'Tree Pigs' or 'Mountain Cows.'
- Headcrabs are referred to as Turkeys.
- The titles of the "Put the Cash Money in the Bag!" videos.
- Insufferable Genius: Spencer, or "The Mighty Spence!" who embodies the complaining, nerdy fan.
- Interspecies Romance: A Skyrim Tale has Vahl, a Dark Elf Dragonborn, in a relationship with Farkas, a Nord.
- Lampshade Hanging:
- One video has Venturian as the second player with Goomba recording. After introducing everyone, Goomba comments that "it felt weird."
- In the Spider-Man SWEP video, after a stunt goes wrong, Venturian says "That will probably be the bit before the video, 'cause there was a lot of screaming."
- A recurring one in 'random' videos is "What just happened?" or "This has got to be the weirdest video we've ever done."
- Venturian breaks out of the Papa Acachalla character in a Trouble In Terrorist Town video to point out that the Acachalla family tree is ridiculously complex.
Venturian: I challenge you to draw the Acachalla family tree. It's probably just like a scribble.
- Make My Monster Grow: Sometimes when playing with a character or a model, the siblings will use a G-Mod prop to enlarge it for kicks.
- Man of a Thousand Voices: Venturian, who voices Papa Acachalla and Spencer, among others.
- Mind Screw: Happens often, especially if the Toilet Toucher is involved.
- Multiple-Choice Past: If a video tells us something new about the Acachalla family, expect it to completely contradict what you thought.
- On a smaller scale, Jimmy's been shown as a individual psychopath and as a psychotic personality that Ghost suppresses who emerges under stress.
- Non Indicative Name: In an early episode of A Minecraft Tale, Venturian finds a cave full of water.
Venturian: Oh, it's the Underwater Lake of Life!
Immortal: Oooh, let's go in!
Venturian: No, don't go in, it kills you.
- Noodle Incident: Often.
- Offscreen Teleportation: The Toilet Toucher.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Venturian notes in one video that he gave Papa Acachalla three different voices while recording the video. He also often accidentally slips into a faintly British accent when roleplaying the American Johnny Ghost. (This is likely because Ghost often appears in videos alongside his British assistant, Johnny Toast.)
- Punny Name: Johnny Ghost and Johnny Toast.
- Random Events Plot: This is the inevitable result of any video where they try to play out a story.
- A Rare Sentence: "This portal gun was made by A Ritz Cracker."
- Reading the Stage Directions Out Loud: This video.
- Running Gag:
- Venturian will often end a particularly random video with "What just happened?"
- "Back from the Dead, I'm back from the dead, don't you just love being back from the dead?"
- Goomba being accused by Venturian of being a Troll.
- Venturian attaching a chair and lots of thrusters to random props, telling one of his siblings to sit in the chair, and launching them flying around the map.
- Certain shades of yellow are declared Puke Yeller by Vent.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: Venturian, when scared or caught off-guard.
- Self-Deprecation: If Venturian encounters a character resembling his normal avatar while playing Papa Acachalla, he will often say "Hey, it's Venturian! That guy sucks!"
- Stalker with a Crush: Maddie will go to any length to get Billy to sign her shirt.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Sally's is waffles, Maddie's is popcorn, Cywren's is Nuka-Cola, Toast's is whiskey.
- Vague Age: Characters like Billy and Sally talk very simply and seem very child-like and naive. But then their character models are adults, and there will be sometimes be jokes about the characters being Man Child Basement Dwellers.
- Zombie Apocalypse: So very often.