Fan Fic / Lightwaves
is a Hanna Is Not a Boy's Name Alternate Universe Fic
The year is 20XX.
After a variety of terrible plagues and wars, mankind has finally united into several city-states. One of these is the City of Varuna. Sprawling thousands of miles and surrounded by unmovable walls, the City of Varuna lives in isolation from the outside world, taught only what the government wants them to hear. People are under constant watch and surveillance under the name of protection. Technology has advanced beyond our wildest dreams. The only issue now is Undesirables. Paranormal creatures, vampires and werewolves, remnants of an ancient and dying world. These creatures are expected to register with the government and are seen as second class citizens, living in oppression so as to avoid tainting the other citizens and ruining their quality of life. These creatures are hunted down by a special section of the police force, the Ahimsa
"Eli" has been an officer of the Ahimsa for ten years. In his late twenties, he suffers from insomnia and has grown indifferent to the world around him. Every day is a copy of a copy, another day spent hunting down creatures that may not even deserve it. The more dissatisfied with life he becomes, the more he begins to question— is there something more?
And of course, that's when a certain redhead comes literally crashing into his life...
Can be found here
in its entirety and here
Is now complete with the beginnings of sequel, Father of Death.
Provides examples of:
- Arc Words: "Your city is dead."
- All-Loving Hero: Hanna, in contrast to Worth, which may be a coping mechanism, partly.
- Applied Phlebotinum: Hanna's bracers let him control a magic crystal inside him which is the source of his powers. Haphazardly.
- The Atoner: Worth:'s actions can be seen as this.
- Bad Dreams: As is to be expected with Dark and Troubled Past, Hanna gets them.
- Black Market: Or rather a Bazaar of the Bizarre, only it's underground and illegal.
- Book Ends: "He was pretty sure it was Tuesday."
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Compared to Ellis and most of his peers, Worth is an utter genius, but he has reasons to not do much with it. Such as being marginally saner than his peers, and practically born wearing Jade-Colored Glasses.
- Cast from Hit Points: Hanna's so, also Eli's powers can be draining. He tends to overtax himself into full Power Strain Blackout due to the Chronic Hero Syndrome or just lack of thought.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Ellis attempts this on Worth, but forgets that Worth is a masochist.
- He does it earlier, with far more success, to Conrad.
- Cool Big Sis: Toni is this to most of the resistance.
- Coolest Club Ever: The one where Toni sings looks shabby at a first glance; it's really how Eli feels there that counts.
- Crapsack World: Varuna is a Vast Bureaucracy, where any sort of individuality and independent thought is frowned upon. Spiderman comics, toys, video cassettes, plushies, action figures and posters are apparently illegal, along with most books (Bible included) and non-state-approved art. Living flowers are banned as a health hazard, trees are scarce and most neighbourhoods in the city have an allotted number of artificial ones. Especially crapsack if you happen to be werewolf, vampire, magic user or Undesirable of any other sort.
- Cyborg/Ridiculously Human Robot Both Hanna and Eli.
- Darker and Edgier: Compared to its source material.
- Dead Fic: The authors confirmed, on their DeviantArt, that Father of Death would be left unfinished due to lack of inspiration. They did post several sketches of planned plot points, as well as a summary of how the rest of the fic would have gone.
- Disney Death: Oh, Hanna...
- Dr. Jerk: Worth, of course.
- Dystopia: Of a Cyber Punk flavour, with Fascists' Bed Time and Happiness Is Mandatory, to some extent. Also, individuality is seen as suspicious, for some reason, and the Propaganda Machine is working non-stop.
- Engineered Public Confession: How the cast gets Ellis.
Veser: Smile, asshole!...You're on Candid Camera!
- Everyone's Baby Sister: Hanna, for La Résistance, very, very much.
- Evil Tower of Ominousness: Slap-bang in the middle of the city, inhabited by Ellis's "scientific" institution. An elaborate Executive Suite Fight takes place there in the finale.
- Flight: Hanna's powers include it. Veser has a hoverboard, which is like a skateboard, only flying - this seems a widespread technology in this world.
- Foreshadowing: This is said as an honest joke. Dear gods of Plot...
"Maybe I'm a sleeper agent," his partner said with a smile of his own.
- Icon of Rebellion: Hanna.
- "I Know You Are in There Somewhere" Fight: Hanna versus Eli, twice. First time it's to snap Eli out of it, the second time it's Hanna's turn.
- Industrial Ghetto: Our heroes' Home Base used to be carpet factory.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Hanna's very blue eyes are repeatedly described as such.
- The Insomniac: Eli's existential worries manifest in this way. After joining the Ragtag Bunch of Misfits, he sleeps a lot better.
- La Résistance: A Ragtag Bunch of Misfits consisting of Worth, Lamont, Hanna, Toni and Veser. It is joined by Conrad (who has nowhere to go) and Eli (technically a prisoner). There is also the "network" of people who scrounge stuff and keep Ahimsa away from the Undesirable parts of town, but The Main Characters Do Everything of plotty importance.
- Mad Doctor: Ellis fancies himself one, but while he really is giggling mad, whoever gave him a doctorate should have their eyes and brain checked.
- Morality Pet: Hanna is this to Worth.
- Pistol-Whipping: Eli on Adelaide, shedding some of her blood and allowing for Emergency Transformation of Conrad.
- Running Gag: Hanna coming up with increasingly-silly names for La Résistance and promptly being shot down.
- Safety in Indifference: Deep down, good old Worth. Way deep down under the Jerkass Façade.
- Ship Tease: Some Toni/Conrad.
- Smug Snake: Ellis. Good God, Ellis.
- Strapped to an Operating Table: Several people who Ellis gets into his grubby little hands. Including Hanna (twice) and Conrad.
- Superpowered Evil Side: The Fireflies who retain their free will (most of the time), such as Hanna. And Eli.
- Team Dad: Lamont.
- Team Mom: Worth, much to his disdain.
- Tron Lines: Hanna has blue ones on his bracers.
- True Companions: The resistance.
- Wham Chapter: Chapter Twenty-Two.
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?
- Voice with an Internet Connection: One person in the merry band of rebels always fills that position, usually Conrad, partly because Everything Is Online and they need a hacker backing them up.
- Used Future: Depends on where you are in the Dystopia, but even the relatively shiny upper city is a bit bleak.