Creator / DaThings1
is a YouTube Poop
maker who made a name for himself with his music video poops (the literal music videos
, not YTPMVs
). He has since included other media, including My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
and movies into the mix, whilst avoiding endless repetition of "classic" sources. He often (But not always
) uses clean humor, in stark contrast to other poopers such as CS188
One very known poop of his is The Super Smash Bros. Hype Train Derailment
, a (perpetual) sequel to Soup or Smash Bros.
(though DaThings1 said it was never actually intended to be). Said poop included Etika and InfernoOmni. Surprisingly enough, Etika himself found out about the poop on Twitter
and made a reaction video
Oh, and he also created the vector
for Forever Alone Guy
In March 2016, Dathings1 announced his channel would go on indefinite hiatus
, but he soon broke the hiatus and uploaded a few videos afterward.
Tropes Associated with DaThings1's content:
- All There in the Manual: One viewer came up with an endorsed plot summary of the events in "Sweeney Todd Completes His Arm", which not only connects the jokes together in a fairly nonsensical plot, but expands on a few of the jokes.. This was inspired by a similar moment when another viewer had done the same thing with "The LOL King".
- Alternate Character Interpretation: Sister Maria is a drug-obsessed hippie.
Maria: I want to be stoned, I want to trip BALLS, I want to be HIGH, I want to browse /r/trees... (Caption: That's enough stoner jokes.)
- Arc Number: 34 in Lord Of Da Things.
Galf: Year 3434 of the 34th age, here follows the 34th encounter of Isildor. High kingdom the 34th Gondor, and the 34th finding of the 34th Ring of Power.
- Artistic License – Geography: In-universe example in Faces of Florida. At the beginning of the video Gwonam thinks that Florida is an island, which understandably results in the King and Zelda laughing at him.
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded Eggs: Taken from Wow! I'm Hungry!:
"They'll be used to make cereal or beer. Or beereal."
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: The second half of "Jore Jarrison on Drinks" mostly consists of George Harrison ranting about Youtube Poop.
- Captain Obvious: You will find this oh-so-many times in DaThings1's poops.
- Sister Maria informs us that "The hills! Are hills!"
- The saddle expert informs that the saddle is, in fact, a saddle.
- The Phantom of The Opera updates Christine on that she has come there.
- The Lot HT host lets us know that "there are three temples in the temple temple temple".
- The Coconut Effect: From Cinnamon Bunglasses at Night:"To make the cinnamon roll look a little more realistic, I'm gonna make a real cinnamon roll and I'm just gonna paint it."
- Deadpan Snarker: Tends to slip into this when dealing with some of his more...unsavory commenters.
- Discredited Meme: "Memes used to be funny!"
- Disproportionate Retribution: In his Les Miserables YTP, Jajvert kills Joj Valjeaj for stealing bread. Is that better or worse than in the book? (where Valjean was imprisoned for 17 years instead.)
- Dude, Not Funny!: Soup or Smash Bros. opens with "Super Suicide Bros.-" (Record Scratch) "OFFENSIVE!", then a caption reading "Sorry. No suicide jokes."
- Early Installment Weirdness: His early poops were more vulgar before he decided to pursue a more "family friendly" style.
- Gay Option: In Date Mystery, there is a chance that the player's Mystery Date will be a bifauxnen. Not that the girls in the commercial seem to mind it.
- Halfway Plot Switch: "Ring Around the Rosen" abruptly switches into a poop of the trailer for The Ring.
- Stealth Pun: The title, due to the above event.
- "Cinnamon Bunglasses at Night" simialrly switches from a poop of the "Sunglasses at Night" song to a craft video of someone making cinnamon bun-shaped soap.
- "The Sharkshank Redaction" is originally a Youtube Poop about sharks, but halfway through, Rog takes over Dathings1 (as he says in the video), and the rest of the video is about Rog.
- Human Resources: Wow! It's Made: Revelations reveals that pillows are made from processed employees.
- Ice-Cream Koan: From The Mythsters:"It may look nothing like Stevie Wonder, but Stevie doesn't even know how he looks."
- Irony: On June 20, 2016, he uploaded a non-poop video where he announced a new let's play channel named Waffle Tots. A lesser known pooper named Trinzilla then made a poop out of the video.
- No Export for You: From Soup or Smash Bros.: "Super Soup Bros. for Wii U will never be released in North America, ever."
- Not So Above It All: Sometimes the vulgarity slips back in.
- No Sympathy: Javert, naturally.
Valjean: We were starving!
: You will starve again! LOL
- Overused Running Gag: "Sus" jokes; i.e., taking the first half of a word and then reversing it. It can get very tiresome if that's not your thing.
- Overly Long Gag: In "Obama Bails Out", Obama spends a very long time explaining what his plan is not.
Obama: It's not a plan to create jobs, it is not a plan to reduce the deficit, it is not a plan to build the deficit, it is not a plan to create jaj, it is not a plan to defecate, it is not a plan to sit, it is not a planet, it is not a plant, it is not a plan, it is not a plalp...
- Portmanteau: The words 'caplicator' (cap + applicator) 'thiquid' (thick + liquid) and 'beereal' (beer + cereal) from Wow! I'm Hungry!.
- Running Gag: "Memes used to be funny"
- Self-Deprecation: "Jaunt Ron Toot" features a section of rapid sus jokes, accompanied by babies laughing hysterically.
- Self-Imposed Challenge: DaThings tries to avoid vulgarities in his videos, which presumably allows him to reach a wider audience. However, this severely limits his material and makes his remaining editing tricks more obvious (and often grating) to viewers.
- Shout-Out: He makes frequent reference to Cs188, particularly by inserting references to CS' Running Gags of "HoH SiS" and "joj".
- Tropes Are Not Good: He's attracted some criticism over how his videos lack in mature humor.