Characters: The Kirita Chronicles
Similar to the canon series, this story has Loads and Loads of Characters.Beware of unmarked spoilers.
open/close all folders
Kirigaya Kazuta - Kirito/KiritaThe genderbent counterpart of Kirito. Originally she went by the name Kirito in the Death Game, but she eventually changed her name to Kirita after the first boss battle.
- Abusive Grandfather: She had a less than pleasant relationship with her grandfather which caused her to become uncomfortable around men.
- The Ace / Broken Ace: Prior to Sword Art Online, she did well in school, was good at karate, and she was good looking. However, her decisions resulted in her becoming isolated, and she has admitted she made numerous mistakes that she regrets.
- Adorkable: Has shades of this whenever she has trouble speaking with the male players.
- Action Girl: Kazuta. Even before she ends up in Sword Art Online she saves Akio from bullies due to her karate lessons.
- Adaptational Angst Upgrade: Kirita is more affected by the mistakes she made with her family, Coper's betrayal & death, and Diabel's death in this story than in canon.
- Adaptation Expansion: Kirita's past and some of her relationships with some of her family members prior to Sword Art Online are expanded upon.
- Alliterative Name
- Aloof Big Sister: Similar to canon, Kazuta distances herself from Suguha after learning the truth but not as much since Kazuta and Suguha still bonded over certain things, such as cooking. Now Kazuta regrets pushing Suguha away.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl
- Badass: She is definitely badass without a doubt.
- Adaptational Badass: Unlike canon, Kazuta actually kept up with a form of martial arts after quitting Kendo and was able to beat the crap out a number of people in the real world long before Sword Art Online.
- Badass Adorable: She is described as being rather cute.
- Badass Longcoat: As of Chapter Nine, she has obtained her first long coat.
- Character Development: At the start of the story, it is made clear she is uncomfortable around males, but she has been taking more steps in trying to open up and conquer that problem.
- Cool Mask: Starting with Chapter Five, she has a habit of wearing masks to prevent people from not only seeing what she looks like but knowing her gender. She wears other clothing to help conceal her gender as best she can. Even if people know her gender, she considers her mask to be a 'barrier' that makes her more comfortable.
- There have been several instances where her masks are broken, but she quickly replaces them with spares she purchased and placed in her inventory.
- Cute Bruiser
- Determinator: She is determined to escape from Sword Art Online despite the problems she faces, so she can see her family again.
- Does Not Like Men: A zigzagged example.
- She does not necessarily dislike males, but her relationship with her grandfather, Kirigaya Riku, made it difficult for her to interact with men for long periods of time. She even pretended to be a male player and went by the name of Kirito in different games, so she would have an easier time talking to male players.
- Kazuta recognizes that she needs to work on this problem, and she has befriended a few male players, such as Argo and Akio.
- Dude Magnet: Due to Kazuta's good looks, she used to be popular with the boys in her school. However, this trope was subverted after she beat up a number of her karate club members which turned them off from trying to ask her out much to her relief.
- Friendless Background: Her past indicates she did not have any luck making friends in the real world prior to Sword Art Online.
- Forgotten First Meeting: She does not recognize meeting Akio in the real world before Sword Art Online until Akio tells her during chapter nine and she remembers their previous encounters.
- Hates Being Alone: It is revealed that while she is used to being alone, she does not like being isolated.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: Similar to canon, she is labeled as a "Beater" after the first boss fight.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Due to the mistakes she made in the real world regarding her family,
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Chapters Two and Nine indicate that while Kirita did try to become friends with others in the real world, she was less than successful. This resulted in her valuing video games and the virtual world more, but she still had difficulties with making friends there.
- I'm Not a Hero, I'm...: It goes along with her heroic self-depreciation.
- In the Hood: In Chapter Five, Kirita acquires a cloak and prefers to wear it to hide her long hair. It gets destroyed during Chapter Nine, and it is unknown if she will wear anymore in future chapters.
- Loners Are Freaks: She was labeled as a control freak by her classmates which caused her to become even more of a loner.
- Long Hair Is Feminine
- Mask of Power: She wears masks to give herself confidence in speaking with males.
- Nice Girl: She will claim that she is not a good person due to her Heroic Self-Deprecation, but she is still more than willing to help someone she barely knows without hesitation.
- Beware the Nice Ones: After the boss fight in Chapter Nine, she threatens other players to not follow her which does frighten a few of them.
- Properly Paranoid: She has been right to be weary of other players trapped in the death game. She has nearly been killed several times by her fellow players within the first month of Sword Art Online.
- Skirt over Slacks
- Supreme Chef: Is quite a good cook.
- Tomboy: Prefers playing video games to fashion, and she can kick ass both in the real world and Sword art Online
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: Kazuta has taken karate classes and has admitted to herself she finds it easier to beat up boys than to talk to them. Prior to the beginning of the Death Game, she preferred using a male player avatar, she enjoys fighting in virtual reality games, and she was the best Beta Tester for Sword Art Online. However, she is proud of her long hair, and she enjoys cooking.
Yuuki Akio - AkioThe genderbent counterpart of Asuna.
- Adaptational Heroism: In canon Asuna was generally a Nice Girl, but in this story Akio is much nicer by comparison from the start. Unlike canon where Asuna was suspicious and threatened Kirito after he saved her, Akio was more grateful and polite.
- Amazon Chaser: Downplayed example. Kirita's abilities are only a part of the reason he is interested in her.
- Badass: While he may not be as good as his canon counterpart yet, he has proven to be capable of fighting.
- Took a Level in Badass: Thanks to Argo's guidebook and advice as well as Kirita's lessons.
- Boy Meets Girl: Akio meeting Kirita, but in more than one occasion.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: On the receiving end of this during his duel with Kirita during Chapter Eight.
- Hair Decorations: The right side of his head is tied in a braid.
- Nice Guy: Might be nicer in this story than canon.
- Beware the Nice Ones: As seen in Chapters Eight and Nine, he is not afraid to give other players a piece of his mind.
- Forgotten First Meeting: Subverted. His meetings with Kirita in the real world influenced him greatly. When he saw her face in Sword Art Online, he instantly recognized her. He even tells her about their previous first meetings to convince her to let him travel with her after the first boss battle.
- Reality Ensues: Unlike canon, this takes a more realistic perspective of a player who has very little experience playing games.
- While Akio was not incompetent, he made several mistakes during the first month of the Death Game that nearly got him killed.
- He did not stand a chance against Kirita who was not only stronger but had far more experience playing these types of games.
- He does contribute to defeating Illfang, but when the boss concentrates on fighting him, he does not stand a chance due to never fighting a boss fight before and not having enough skill to take on the boss alone. He not only broke his arm but without Kirita's interference, Akio would have died.
- "Reason You Suck" Speech: He has been on the receiving and giving end of this trope several times.
- Rescue Romance: Prior to Sword Art Online, Kirita saved him from several bullies. Even though he did not know her name, he developed an attraction towards her. After meeting and being saved by her in Sword Art Online, his feelings seem to be increasing even though he doesn't know too much about her yet.
- Sheltered Aristocrat
- Single-Target Sexuality: While Akio has not had too many onscreen interactions with girls, the only girl he has showed any real interested in was Kirita even before he knew her name. However, Knowledgeseeker66 has confirmed that he does not feel anything more than a crush at this point.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: Akio's classmates in the real world are only trying to be friends with him because they can have him as a connection for their future.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: He tells this to Kirita during Chapter Nine after she is labeled as a Beater.
Arakaki Gouki - ArgoWhile he retains the same name as Argo from canon, he is also the genderbent counterpart of her.
- Adaptational Angst Upgrade: Argo never appeared to have anything to angst about in canon but his flashback indicates otherwise in this story.
- Adaptation Expansion: In this story, you learn more about his Information Broker business which involves him recruiting other players and creating his own guild to establish. Unlike canon, you learn more about the past for this version of the character.
- Ascended Extra: In canon, the female counterpart is a minor character who only appears in one episode of the anime and a few side stories in the Light Novel. In this story, he is a main character.
- Adaptational Heroism: While Argo in canon is not a villain and is considered to be friends with Kirito, she is still greedy. Argo in this story seems less greedy and selfish by comparison. As of now, he does not appear to give away information on his clients as readily as his canon counterpart.
- Badass: He can handle himself in a fight
- Adaptational Badass: Argo's fighting capabilities are not really explored in canon but she does apparently run away. In this story, the male version of Argo is more willing to fight. Additionally, he is taking charge of his own guild in this story.
- Cool Mask: He wears a rat mask.
- Darkand Troubled Past: His flashbacks indicate that certain things happened in his childhood that were not pretty.
- Flechette Storm: He carries plenty of weapons that can be thrown such as knives and nails underneath his clothes.
- Freudian Excuse: His reasoning for always attempting to have all the information necessary.
- Inthe Hood: Similar to his original canon counterpart, he wears hoods.
- The Informant: He acts as this to his regular customers, such as Kirita.
- Intrepid Reporter: The bonus content of the chapters indicate he will become this.
- Knife Nut: Knives are his preferred Choice of Weapon rather than Claws like in the canon storyline.
- Knowledge Broker: He is willing to provide information to anyone for a price, but he does put restrictions on what he will provide information on. For example, he won't provide information on the
- The Leader: He is the leader of his guild, "The Argo Network."
- Only in It for the Money: He claims that is the case on numerous occasions. He states he would not want to lose his valuable clients and revenue, but it is clear that he sincerely doesn't want them to die even if he won't admit it.
- Pet the Dog: Has several of them during the story.
- His interactions with Kirita are filled with pet the dog moments between him showing some genuine concern for her safety and giving her advice.
- He hired Sasha to be his assistant, so she would have more money to take care of the children she is trying keep safe.
- Secret Keeper: He did not reveal to anyone that Kirita was a girl. However, by the end of Chapter Nine, most of Sword Art Online will know Kirita is a girl after her cloak and mask were destroyed in the boss fight.
- Troll: His interactions with Kirita and Akio do present him as being somewhat of a troll at times.
Kayaba Akihiko - HeathcliffSimilar to canon, he remains the main antagonist of the story.
- Adaptation Expansion: More depth is given to Kayaba during the beginning of Sword Art Online along with him beginning the recruitment of his guild.
- Adaptational Heroism: He is slightly more humane in this story.
- Affably Evil: Similar to his canon counterpart, he is polite despite his actions.
- Big Bad
- Pet the Dog: He has several throughout the story.
- Chapter One: Provides Kirigaya Midori with enough money to adopt Kazuta.
- Chapter Seven: He helps saves Juho's life.
- Villain Takes an Interest: Due to Kirita being the daughter of his former mentor he is interested in what she will do. He is also interested in other Beta Testers too, such as Delano and Juho.
This is the Information Broker guild that Argo creates after the beginning of Sword Art Online
- Adaptation Expansion: More depth is given to her attempting to raise the children trapped in Sword Art Online.
- Ascended Extra: She was a minor character in the canon series but she is more set up to become more significant in this story.
- Nice Girl: Remains this way in the story.
- Parental Substitute: For the children trapped in Sword Art Online.
YuudaiAfter being saved by Kirita during Chapter Seven, he is recruited into Argo's guild.
Heathcliff's Guild and unlike canon they only go by the name 'The Knights' at this point.
Goro - Hideyoshi
- Morality Pet: He seems to be like this to an extent with Kayaba Akihiko
- Undying Loyalty: Towards Kayaba Akihiko
Juho - Shimizu RyuunosukeHe is a childhood friend to Michiko who constantly wears armor, and he does not like letting people see what he really looks like.
- 24HourArmor: He wears this along with a helmet, and he does not like taking it off.
- Childhood Friends: With Michiko
- Childhood Friend Romance: Would like to have this with Michiko, but a certain incident in his past has prevented him from trying.
- Cool Helmet: He refuses to take off his helmet or armor when in the presence of other players, including Michiko.
- Death Seeker: He shows signs of this during Chapter Seven, and he nearly gets killed when protecting Michiko. The only thing that stopped him from giving up entirely was his memories of Michiko.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Narrowly averted due to Heathcliff's intervention.
- Nice Guy
MichikoShe is Juho's childhood friend, and she is aware of why he does not like taking off his armor.
- Childhood Friends: With Juho
- Childhood Friend Romance: She wishes to become more than just friends with Juho, but she has not had any luck yet.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Living Emotional Crutch: She is this to Juho.
- Morality Pet / Morality Chain: She might be one for Juho since she is the main reason he is still alive and wants to keep going.
- Nice Girl
- Jerkass: According to Juho and Michiko, which is more inline with his Light Novel counterpart rather than his Anime counterpart.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Michiko considers him to be this.
The guild formed by Delano during the first month of the Death Game.
DelanoA former Beta Tester. He was paralyzed in the real world and the virtual world allows him to walk again.
- Badass: He almost defeated Kirita in a duel during the Beta Test and narrowly lost. He continues to demonstrate how badass he is in every fight he goes into.
- Handicapped Badass: Subverted because he is a badass in the game where he is capable of walking again.
- Escapist: Even before Sword Art Online, he enjoyed the virtual world because he enjoys being able to walk again. After the Death Game began, he was one of the first to embrace it.
- Good Is Not Nice: He is more than willing to save other player's lives, but he is not usually nice about doing it.
- Graceful Loser: After losing to Kirita during the Beta Test, he is accepting of his defeat.
- The Leader
- Odd Friendship: With Johnny Black.
- "Reason You Suck" Speech: He seems to love giving these.
- Chapter Two: To his mother when he makes it clear that even with the Nerve Gear it will not be enough to make him forgive her for causing his paralysis.
- Chapter Six: Criticizes Keita's poor leadership and how he and his guild would have died if he and Johnny Black didn't save them.
- Chapter Seven: Gives a minor one to Slade after he wins the duel and becomes the leader of the guild.
- Scars Are Forever: He has three scars on his face due to the car accident his mother caused, but he does not seem to mind the scars since he allowed his original Sword Art Online avatar to retain the scars on his face.
- Took A Levelin Jerkass: In his back story, he lost the use of his legs that caused him to become what he is.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: His past indicates he used to be a nice person prior to becoming disabled.
SladeA middle aged man who lost to Delano and is now his subordinate.
- Graceful Loser: Even though he is pissed at losing to Delano, he still fulfills the bet by letting Delano become the leader.
- The Lancer
- Odd Friendship: With XaXa
Johnny BlackA player saved by Delano during the first night of the Death Game.
- Adaptational Heroism: Saves people's lives in this story.
- Morality Pet: To Delano to an extent.
- Odd Friendship: With Delano.
XaXaA player saved by Delano during the first month of the Death Game and appears to be a friend to Slade.
Unlike Canon, they only go by the name Black Cats.
HeihachiThe genderbent counterpart of Sachi.
- Adaptational Badass: He is more calm and competent then his canon female counterpart Sachi. However, he still lacks confidence similar to Sachi.
- Nice Guy
- Idiot Hero: Delano calls him an idiot.
- Adaptation Expansion: In the anime he only appears in two episodes and only has lines in one of them. In this story, he has appeared in multiple chapters and will be a reoccurring antagonist.
- Adaptational Villainy: He is evil in canon, but things are taken further in this story.
Wan ShottoShe is another player
- Big Damn Heroes / Villainous Rescue: She saves Agil's life as well as the lives of some of her team mates during the boss battle.
- Dark Action Girl
- Eye Patch of Power
- Eye Scream: Wan Shotto is on both ends of this trope.
- She is missing her left eye and according to Knowledgeseeker66 her eye was removed by force.
- She prefers to kill her enemies by shooting them in the eye, and she does not feel satisfied unless she does that.
- Hidden Depths: She is able to determine Kirita is a child even though she only briefly sees Kirita's face.
- Scars are Forever: She has a scar on her nose and where her left eye would be.
- Villain Respect: Towards Kirita.
- Villain Takes an Interest: During Chapter Nine, she becomes rather interested in Kirita after she helps defeat Illfang and becomes labeled as a Beater.
- Would Not Hurt A Child: She has no interest in hunting down Kirita because she views Kirita as a child.
DiabelHe is a Beta Tester and the leader of the boss raid group that attempts to defeat Illfang.—-
- Early-Bird Cameo: She makes one during Chapter Three of the story which takes place during the Beta Test.
- Nice Girl
Real World Characters
GorobeiA former Beta Tester and a Sworn brother to Kikuchiyo.
- Childhood Friends: With Kikuchiyo
- Eye Scream: Prefers to shoot his opponents through their eyes.
KikuchiyoHe is Gorobei's Sworn brother.
- Tooka Levelin Badass: Thanks to Gorbei's help.
- Friend to All Children
- Gentle Giant: Described as being slightly shorter than Agil.
- Nice Guy
- Big Damn Heroes: Similar to canon, he saves Kirita and Akio from Illfang and he is on the receiving end of this trope from both Wan Shotto and Kirita.
- Gentle Giant
- Nice Guy
CoperHe is another Beta Tester.—-
- Adaptation Expansion: He appears during the Beta Test.
- Ascended Extra: His death plays a bigger role in this story than in canon.
- Small Role, Big Impact: His betrayal and death continues to affect Kirita long after the first day.