Characters: The Amazing Race 9
After the failed experiment that was the Family Edition
, a preview for the Race's 9th season promised a much-needed return to form. The cast featured a quirky cavalcade of characters, with a goofy and very self-aware atmosphere. However, thanks to two teams dominating the entire season (in both placements and, by extension, screen time), it was seen as slightly predictable, even with the odd upset here and there. In the larger picture, the slow start to the season, the over-reliance on "Needle in a Haystack" tasks
, and having two of the most popular teams going out early failed to recapture the momentum that stalled with Family Edition, and the show garnered its worst ratings post Season 5
(with even the Family Edition and Season 2
pulling in better ratings). However, the season itself did earn many fans, especially since it contains one of the most popular teams to run the race, and started the trend of Final Exam Finale
tasks appearing more regularly.
Brian Jeffrey "B.J." Averell & Tyler MacNiven (The Hippies)
University friends, with Tyler being a filmmaker who first came to prominence with his documentary Kintaro Walks Japan
. Very wacky and outgoing, they made their presence known throughout the various countries they visited. They became one of the most popular teams to run the race due to their comedic antics, but to the fans that found them unfunny instead, they were really
hated. They exchanged first place with Eric & Jeremy throughout the race, eventually beating them at the final flags Roadblock to win the million.
- Bad Liar: When confronted by Monica at the mat in Darwin, Australia, saying that they had been spreading rumors about her and Eric to cause friction, Tyler stammered for a few seconds before B.J. said, "There were no mind games."
- Batman-Gambit: They decided to needle Joseph about the flirting between Eric and Monica in order to cause friction in their alliance.
- Blackmail: According to Joseph & Monica, they threatened to Yield the couple unless they gave them money after their first non-elimination save. MoJo did not come through with the money, and so they got Yielded.
- Born Lucky: When they fell behind, they were saved by another team getting even more lost than them, and went on to survive twice in the next three legs due to non-elimination points.
- Call Back:
- They paid tribute to Linda & Karen's iconic Bowling Moms T-Shirts from Season 5 (In response, Linda & Karen wore shirts saying "B.J." and "Tyler" to that season's finale party).
- B.J. quoted, "It's on like Donkey Kong," in their pre-Final 3 speech, quoting Frank and Chip.
- Call It Karma: They were both believers in this sort of Karma.
- Catch Phrase: Possibly the most catchphrase-heavy racers ever, with their power word "T-TOW!" and "Frat Boys!!!" featuring most prominently.
- Failed a Spot Check: In the finale, they took several minutes to find their snowshoes at the chalet, passing right by the snowshoes at one point.
- Fan Disservice: Upon losing his shoes and pants after their second non-elimination, B.J. received a pair of skintight purple nightmare pants from Yolanda.
- Friendly Rivalry: With Eric & Jeremy, in which they even acted as if they were in a sitcom.
- Global Ignorance: Invoked during their "ghosts of racers gone" impersonations during leg 7. Their impersonation of Danielle & Dani involved the line, "Is Oman in China?"
- The Glomp: B.J. grabbed and kissed Phil on the cheek when they avoided elimination in Greece.
- Granola Guys
- Hat Damage: B.J.'s cowboy hat becomes noticeably more ragged over the course of the race.
- In-Series Nickname: The Hippies.
- Large Ham: Mainly Tyler.
- Nice Guys Finish Last: Quoted in leg 10 when they missed the first flight... right before they got a better one.
- Nice Hat: B.J.'s cowboy hat, and the frog hat he wore in Greece, and the top hat he picked up in Darwin, Australia.
- No Indoor Voice
- No Sense of Direction: Drove 1 hour in the wrong direction in Greece, but stayed in the race due to Lake & Michelle getting even more lost.
- Read the Freaking Clue: Along with Ray & Yolanda and Lake & Michelle, they got off their train early in Corinth, Greece instead of taking it all the way to the Isthmos station, and got a 15-minute penalty.
- Revenge Before Reason: Yielding Monica & Joseph (for not giving them money after they had been hit with the mugging penalty the previous leg and suspicions of cancelling their cab earlier in that leg) instead of Eric & Jeremy, who had won the majority of the legs at that point.
- Sitcom Archnemesis: Joseph & Monica.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: Their wacky hijinks and interactions with most of the other teams were the main focus of the season. It wasn't too bad at the beginning, but after the eliminations of Wanda & Desiree and Lori & Dave, the majority of the extra airtime now available went to them.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Post-Race. Along with Chip & Kim, they openly complained when they did not get invited back for All-Stars, released a video mocking the teams they felt were "lesser choices," called themselves the most popular team to ever run the race, and the "most winningest winners ever to win." Bertram van Munster himself said they were not invited back because their story had been played out. It was that kind of behavior that put into question whether their rivalry with Joseph & Monica was as one sided as it looked.
- Underdogs Always Win: Though they were clearly better than the rest of the pack, they were treated as such compared to Eric & Jeremy, who finished 1st in six of the first nine episodes.
- The World Is Just Awesome: The subject of their victory speech. Also, they took time to admire the Russian cathedral before getting back to the race.
Eric Sanchez & Jeremy Ryan (Frat Boys)
Jeremy: We want to win. Whatever it takes to win.
Eric: It's like trying to get into girls' pants, y'know, lie, cheat, steal. You know, whatever you can.
Best friends, and the more obvious alpha-male team of the season. They were obsessed with the girls of the world, including fellow team Danielle & Dani. They set the record for the best overall finishing average of any team and (unofficially) tied Colin & Christie's
record of six leg wins, only to be beat out by B.J. & Tyler when Eric stumbled at the Final Roadblock, unable to remember the flags of the countries they visited, and ended up 2nd.
While the two as a team were not asked back for All-Stars, Eric was asked back on the condition that he race with Danielle (from Danielle & Dani), with whom he had flirted with through the race.
- Born Lucky: A majority of their six 1st place finishes (including both parts of the Super Leg) were due to luck, either because other teams got delayed by airport/plane snafus, or because of "needle in a haystack" tasks (the nesting doll Detour in the first part of leg 3, both the Roaming Gnome Roadblock and bottle breaking Detours in the second part of leg 3, and the plate breaking Fast Forward in leg 6). They were also able to cruise along at the front of the pack during the longest stretch of Race without an equalizer outside of Season 1. Prior to leg 5, B.J. & Tyler talked about how much dumb luck they had been getting, but they also said dumb luck eventually runs out...
- Backstab Backfire: In the process of cancelling B.J. & Tyler's and Ray & Yolanda's cabs in Australia, they ended up cancelling their own as well.
- Call It Karma: They said it was Karma that their cab didn't show up when they cancelled the other teams'.
- Casanova Wannabe
- Curb-Stomp Battle: They only finished below 2nd once, and if it weren't for mixing up the flags in the final challenge...
- Dick Dastardly Stops to Cheat: At the beginning of leg 9, they tried to cancel the other teams' cabs by masquerading as Ray and Tyler on the phone. This backfired when they realized their own cab was canceled as well. Word Of God says their own cab getting cancelled is the only reason they avoided getting a penalty for sabotaging the other teams, as they were the ones who suffered most from it.
- Dumb Blond: Jeremy. Needless to say, Eric was the brains of the outfit.
- Dumb Muscle: They were called this by B.J. & Tyler.
- Frameup: When Ray & Yolanda and B.J. & Tyler discovered that their cabs had been cancelled, Eric & Jeremy were quick to cast the blame on Monica & Joseph, the only team whose cab did show up.
- Friendly Rivalry: With B.J. & Tyler.
- Global Ignorance: While driving in Japan:
Jeremy: That's a big mountain. Mt. Tokyo.
Eric: Dumbass, must be Mt. Fuji.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today?: Barely a scene goes by without them mentioning the ladies. Seriously, you could probably make a drinking game out of it.
- Ho Yay: Intentionally invoked, as Eric admitted after All-Stars, especially with B.J. & Tyler.
- In-Series Nickname: Frat Boys (or Frat Girls for Ray & Yolanda).
- Lame Pun Reaction : After carrying the swordfish during the Detour in leg 5.
Phil: I have to tell you, you guys stink.
Jeremy: It's a new cologne we're trying out, it's called "Sword".
Cut to the Pit Stop Greeter shaking his head.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Their play style according to Joseph & Monica and B.J. & Tyler. They would so blindly strive for first place that they ignored any and all sense or strategy in going for it. It showed in leg 7, the one leg where they finished below 2nd, as, leaving the Roadblock, they were in a solid 3rd place, but decided to risk a possible shortcut in order to jump back up to 1st. They got lost and wound up 4th.
- Love Triangle: When Eric supposedly flirted with Monica, causing increased tension between her and Joseph.
- Mistaken Identity: When the clue in Shibuya Crossing told them to find Hachiko, they asked some nearby women where to find it. The women naturally pointed them in the direction of the statue, where they found the man holding their next clue. For some reason, they thought the man is Hachiko, and wondered how the women knew who Hachiko was.
- Mr. Fanservice
- Read The Freaking Clue: Eric claimed this was the secret to their success early in the race: just being idiots reading their clues.
- Reality Show Genre Blindness: They shared a cab with Danielle & Dani in Moscow.
- Running Gag: Their often douchey obsession with women.
- Short Cuts Make Long Delays: They left the Roadblock in Oman in 3rd place, but decided to take a shortcut to possibly jump back up to 1st. They ended up getting lost and dropping to 4th, only beating the long trailing B.J. & Tyler.
- The Slacker: They claimed to be such in their pre-race interview.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: Like B.J. & Tyler, they were this by being dominant and due to their rivalry, though to a lesser degree.
- Token Romance: With Danielle & Dani.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Jeremy more so than Eric.
Raymond "Ray" Whitty & Yolanda Moore
Athletic African-American dating couple. They generally kept to themselves, out of the friendships and drama building between the other teams. They survived almost being eliminated several times due to other teams' mistakes, keeping a somewhat positive attitude and avoiding fighting for the good majority of the race. They finished 3rd when they had trouble finding the hidden clue at the Clear Creek Historical Park in the finale.
- Construction Catcalls: While doing the motorcycle Detour in the first leg, a bunch of men stood around, Wolf Whistling and commenting on Yolanda's body.
- Long Distance Relationship
- No Sense of Direction: This is what left them completely unable to compete with the top two teams in the final legs, as they would constantly have to stop and ask for directions.
- Read the Freaking Clue: Along with B.J. & Tyler and Lake & Michelle, they got off their train early in Corinth, Greece instead of taking it all the way to the Isthmos station, and got a 15-minute penalty.
- Pixelation: Ray flicked off Yolanda while crossing the Rio–Antirrio bridge.
- Sassy Black Woman: Yolanda.
- Scary Black Man: Yolanda would make fun of Ray for the way he presented himself to locals, saying he was coming off as this.
- She's Got Legs: Yolanda, which frequently got brought up throughout the race. In the ice hole drilling Detour, she wished she could use her legs rather than her weaker arms.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: For Yolanda, it was water.
Joseph Meadows & Monica Cayce (MoJo)
Young dating couple, they were the only team that could regularly keep up with B.J. & Tyler and Eric & Jeremy. They tried to establish themselves as a strong adventurous couple similar to Kris & Jon
early on, but thanks to a combination of uneven characterization (going from Dumb Blonde
and boyfriend to villains in leg 8 with no set up or reasoning), sour attitudes, bickering over the tiniest little things, and a contempt for the fan-favorite team and eventual winners, they were seen as anything but. Ultimately, Monica's meltdown during the pot-carrying Detour in Thailand cost them a spot in the Final 3, and left them in 4th.
- Always Second Best: Due to the Hippie/Frat Boy domination.
- Conflict Ball: All of a sudden in leg 8 they were bitter enemies with the Hippies after having almost no interaction with them before that.
- The Mojo/Eric Love Triangle that popped up for a single episode without ever being hinted at before, and was never mentioned again.
- Dumb Blonde: Discussed, with Monica saying people saw her this way, but she was smarter than she looked.
- Failed a Spot Check: They continued to argue after their Yield timer run out, standing there longer than they had to.
- Hate Sink: Having a feud with the show's most popular team at that point will make you the target of a lot of fans' hatred.
- Irrational Hatred: The poor editing makes their feud with B.J. & Tyler come off like this.
- Jerkass: Both of them.
- The Load: Monica, who managed to cry or break down at almost every little thing.
- Manipulative Editing: The show made it look like they were in a race with B.J. & Tyler to see who could Yield the other first, but they actually lost their Yield sticker early in the season, and therefore the power to use it.
- Ms. Fanservice: Monica. The camera had a certain fascination with her breasts.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: They weren't bad racers per say, but their inability to ever beat Eric & Jeremy and B.J. & Tyler at the same time meant they are forever forgotten next to the two "dominant" teams.
- Portmanteau Couple Name: They even wore "Mo" and "Jo" shirts to emphasize this.
- Read the Freaking Clue: When they misread the Detour clue in leg 8, only retrieving one lobster instead of two, they blamed their mistake on always having the worst luck.
- Reality Show Genre Blindness: They shared a cab with Dave & Lori in Moscow.
- Sitcom Archnemesis: A very mean-spirited one with B.J. & Tyler. It started when they didn't like that B.J. & Tyler threatened to Yield them if they didn't give the Hippies money after their first non-elimination penalty.
Francis "Fran" Lazarus & Bernard "Barry" Lazarus
Elderly couple, with Fran being a cancer survivor. They frequently missed things in plain sight
, but persevered late into the season, mostly because they were the only team on the season with any ability to navigate. They are the oldest team to win a leg without a Fast Forward, with Phil being noticeably shocked when they arrived first in Oman. However, their luck ran out in the next leg when the cab they called didn't show up at the Fremantle Ferry, and they finished 5th.
- Accidental Misnaming: For some reason, Yolanda kept calling them "Frank & Barry"
- Badass Grandparents: They are the oldest team to ever win a leg, and not a cupcake leg either, as the Roadblock involved searching through a bunch of holes for a bag of meat in the middle of the desert. On the next leg, they complained that the race was ruining their sex life. Granted, they, like Gretchen & Meredith, don't look too impressive next to racers like Donald and Bill & Cathi, but this was before the proliferation of the Metagame.
- Bald of Awesome
- Failed a Spot Check: In the first leg, they spent over half an hour looking for the cluebox, passing it up multiple times, sometimes even coming within arm's length of the box, with the cameraman pointing it out every time. When they found it, Fran thought someone moved it. They almost did the same thing in Italy, but much less time was lost in that case. Barry also backed his car into the lone tree in a parking lot in Greece at one point.
- Happily Married
- High School Sweethearts
- The Navigator: They were the only team on the season with any ability to navigate.
- Wearing a Flag on Your Head: Barry had an American Flag bandanna.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Bungee jumping for Fran.
Terry "Lake" Garner & Michelle Garner
Dentist and his wife/assistant from Mississippi, Lake was known for his loud, aggressive, often abusive behavior. He would eventually break down when they got lost looking for the Pit Stop in Greece, landing them 6th.
- Chewing the Scenery: Lake.
- Expy: Lake, of Wil and Jonathan, though he is much less notorious than the other two.
- Global Ignorance: Lake thinking they spoke Spanish in Brazil.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: "Daggummit."
- Idiot Ball: Made a series of mistakes at the Munich airport that dropped them out of the lead pack with B.J. & Tyler and Eric & Jeremy. Though they were the first team to think of booking tickets to Palermo online, they couldn't get the website to switch to English, allowing B.J. & Tyler to scoop out the tickets from under them. They then didn't stick around at the counter like Eric & Jeremy, and therefore missed out on standby tickets. They found a later flight, but just blindly booked the tickets, while three other teams found a faster connecting flight in Rome (including Fran & Barry, who talked to the same exact woman they did), putting them on the last flight with Danielle & Dani and Ray & Yolanda.
- Jerkass: Lake.
- The Load: Michelle. She second-guessed every one of Lake's decisions, and refused to take a diving Roadblock in fear she might have to do it naked.
- Masochism Tango: Reached its climax in their last leg, with Lake's "Shut up, bitch!"
- Never My Fault: In the first leg, after realizing that his idea to pull over and call ahead to reserve tickets on the first flight was against the rules, Lake called the idea, "partially my fault."
- No Sense of Direction
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Lake's real name is never mentioned on the show.
- Read the Freaking Clue: In the first leg they pulled off the highway to call ahead and reserve tickets on the first flight. Doubles as Reality Show Genre Blindness as teams are never allowed to call ahead to reserve tickets in the first leg.
- Along with Ray & Yolanda and B.J. & Tyler, they got off their train early in Corinth, Greece instead of taking it all the way to the Isthmos station.
- Sequence Breaking: They mistakenly ran to the Pit Stop in leg 4 instead of the Roadblock location. They lost time, but not position, due to this error.
David "Dave" Spiker & Lori Willems (The Nerds)
Dating nerd couple. They had a pleasant relationship to the point that Dave immediately regretted the one fight they had. They ended in 7th place after there was no full equalizer in leg 5, and they were unable to catch up with the other teams. They were one of the 15 teams selected by Phil to come back for All-Stars, though they did not make the cut.
Danielle Turner & Dani Torchio (The Double-D's)
Blonde friends team. As the season's dumb blonde team, they constantly made bone-headed mistakes that almost had them eliminated. They have the distinction of being the only direct victims of the Yield in the series (since no other team was eliminated on the same leg they got Yielded) when Dani subsequently struggled with the statue Roadblock, allowing Ray to pass them, and finished 8th. Still, they flirted with Eric & Jeremy, which was enough for the producers to consider pairing Danielle with Eric in All-Stars.
Wanda Lopez-Rochford & Desiree Cifre (Team Boricua)
Latina mother/daughter pair. They started off strong by finishing 3rd in the first leg, but were hit hard by Killer Fatigue during the double-leg, leading them to get terribly lost in Germany, and were then narrowly beaten out by Danielle & Dani at the needle-in-a-haystack gnome Roadblock, finishing 9th.
- Hidden Depths: Desiree is a video game scriptwriter and thus displays nerdy traits despite her celebrity-like appearance.
- The Load: Wanda, most notably when she freaked out in the Russian swimming pool while Desiree attempted to encourage her. Playing the de facto parent eventually took its toll on Desiree, leading to her breakdown at the gnome task.
- No Sense of Direction: Desiree even admits they got lost a lot upon their elimination.
- Shocking Elimination: As they initially seemed like a team that could keep up with the dominating B.J. & Tyler and Eric & Jeremy.
- The World Is Just Awesome: Their reaction to seeing Sao Paulo during a helicopter ride, to the point that Desiree said they would be grateful for the experience no matter what place they ended up.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Wanda and underwater diving.
Lisa Hinds & Joni Glaze (The Glamazons)
Sisters team. They were loud. Very loud
. Their bickering caused them to get lost and fall behind, enough to end up in 10th.
John Lowe & Scott Braginton-Smith
The season's Team Gay, they suffered from two bad cab drivers and constant bickering, which led to them going out first in 11th place.