open/close all folders
The Six Saint Beasts
Voiced by: Akira IshidaThe Leader of the Saint Beasts, Judas is widely acknowledged as the best angel in heaven in terms of both strength and righteousness, much like his mentor Lucifer was before he fell. In addition to physical strength he wields light as an elemental and has Healing Magic as well. He is the first to decide to rebel against Zeus, and suffers for being the ringleader when it fails. He is banished to hell with Luca, staying there for thousands of days and nights before breaking out again.
- Canon Foreigner: Traditionally there are four Saint Beasts as was the case in Angel Tales where Goh, Shin, Rey and Gai come from. Judas and Luca were created to be the main characters of this rather different spinoff.
- Berserk Button: DO NOT hurt Shin.
- Fallen Angel: Eventually he is banished to hell for rebellion, just like his predecessors.
- Famed In-Story: Everyone in heaven knows of Judas, even if they've never seen him. He basically requires no introduction whenever he meets someone new.
- Finger-Suck Healing: He can actually heal wounds by placing his lips on them.
- The Hero: Prominently so. The strongest, The Ace, the team leader, and he wields light as an Elemental Power
- Holy Hand Grenade: Light is a destructive force in his hands.
- Intimate Healing: Judas can heal with his lips making any healing intimate by default.
- The Paragon Always Rebels: Like his mentor before him, Judas eventually turns on Zeus and tries to overthrow him. Being popular, he gets a lot of support.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Judas is red and Goh is blue. Both are variations of The Hero, but Judas is more take-charge and makes many errors in judgement thanks to this drive.
- Shirtless Scene: He has a few, usually with water keeping it from being more than just shirtless.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: "Red" technically is a natural hair colour but scarlet not so much.
Voiced by: Hikaru MidorikawaThe Lancer of the Saint Beasts and the darkness to Judas' light, Luca is highly respected and admired by the other angels, but often stays in the background, being the thoughtful and silent type. His greatest strength is his fully functional wings, which mysteriously grew during a high fall. He wears a turban to conceal a mark which is revealed to be a seal on his memories, which hid the knowledge that he is Zeus' son and thus a god. He is banished to hell with Judas for their rebellion.
- Amnesiac God: Luca is the son of Zeus and the wife of the previous god.
- Canon Foreigner: As mentioned above Luca and Judas were new additions to the series, and help solidify it as a very different story.
- Casting a Shadow: Luca's elemental power is that of darkness, in a Dark is Not Evil kind of way.
- Change the Uncomfortable Subject: He is very prone to doing this, feeling that there are a lot of things that ought not to be said out loud, even if everyone is thinking it. Justified considering it's over treason.
- The Confidant: He fulfils this role for Judas.
- Fallen Angel: Or rather, fallen god, along with Judas.
- Flight, Strength, Heart: Luca got flight, strength, and the ability to read minds with his fingertips which he wanted for no other reason than to read Rey's mind, because Rey has something of a Cannot Spit It Out problem.
- The Lancer: He is very much Judas' lancer. He is quiet, strong, always has good advice, and stands by The Hero no matter what. Moreover, his powers of darkness contrast Judas' powers of light. Amusingly, his Love Interest is The Chick.
- Rapunzel Hair: When he let's it down it is very long.
- The Paragon Always Rebels: Luca gets bonus points as it's also a parental rebellion.
- Power Gives You Wings: Luca's wings appear when the result of his and Judas' fight ends up with him taking a dangerous fall. The power is very likely innate.
- The Quiet One: He is always brooding but rarely speaks his thoughts, which is part of what makes him good for counsel.
- Satellite Character: Luca is one to the point that he is frequently overlooked by other characters, and even lampshades it by saying he is the shadow to Judas' light. However, he is the Most Important Person to Judas and Rey, both of whom have more dominant personalities, and this is mainly how he gets developed.
- Short Hair with Tail: His hair looks like a normal short cut from the front but has a very long wrapped ponytail at the back.
Voiced by: Toshiyuki MorikawaThe Big Guy of the Saint Beasts and a secondary hero for the quartet, Goh is often regarded as a wise big-brother type. He is the blue oni to Judas' red, and often takes control of situations in his absence. He has a family-like relationship with Shin, Rey, and Gai. He is one of the strongest angels in heaven, going toe-to-toe with Judas, and has a powerful fire elemental. He is brainwashed along with the other three into betraying Judas and Luca. He is also the first to be set free after being sealed in stone, thanks to his former friendship with Saki.
- Big Brother Mentor: He is occasionally called "big brother" by Shin, Rey and Gai for being The Leader of their group.
- The Big Guy: He can contend with Judas for strength. His first plan when he becomes an adult angel is to go and punch down some trees.
- The Hero: In addition to The Big Guy, Goh is also a take on The Hero. He hesitates more frequently than Judas and tends to reserve judgement, but he is also very passionate and powerful when he believes in a cause and is the decision maker among the quartet.
- Playing with Fire: He is gifted with fire-based Elemental Powers.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Goh is blue and Judas is red. Both are variations of The Hero, but Goh has is more likely to reserve judgement in spite of his Hot-Blooded-ness, and plays more on the safe side.
- Shonen Hair: Instead of having a strange colour, he just gets a very spiky haircut.
Voiced by: Takahiro SakuraiThe Smart Guy of the Saint Beasts and The Lancer to Goh, Shin can be both kind and aloof at times, earning him many friends but also a few enemies. He is one of the physically weakest members of the Saint Beasts, but makes up for it by being a Badass Bookworm and is often seen with either a book or a harp. Early on during the rebellion he tries to hide Pandora's Box but is caught and crucified. His feelings for Judas allow him to overcome the later brainwashing but unfortunately it's too late save his friends and he is trapped in stone for his efforts.
- Cute Bookworm: Shin is the bookish smart guy of the team and very bishonen.
- Harp of Femininity: Shin is an effeminate male example. He even went to the trouble of crafting his harp himself.
- Important Hair Accessory: Judas makes a hair tie for him to keep it out of the way when he plays harp. This is important because it shows their bond and he never goes without it after that.
- The Lancer: He fulfils this role to Goh, being the main advisor and seeing him as a Big Brother Mentor.
- Rapunzel Hair: He has very long cyan hair, which he keeps tied back after Judas weaves a ribbon for him.
- Razor Wind: His Elemental Powers involve time and wind, the latter of which actually cuts things when used.
- Shy Blue-Haired Girl: Shin is a male version, being the intelligent and aloof-but-nice type.
- The Smart Guy: He is always carrying around books and is the person to go to when you're up against something unfamiliar.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Given he is The Smart Guy and Cute Bookworm of the group, Shin unsurprisingly has glasses.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: There's some argument to where it falls between green and blue, but it's not natural no matter how you look at it.
Voiced by: Kouki MiyataThe Heart of the Saint Beasts, Rey holds just about every feminine role possible on the team. His nuanced personality makes him both mature and childish, confident and shy, optimistic and pessimistic depending on who he's with. He often speaks his mind but doubts his own abilities despite being one of the few winged angels in heaven. He is more reluctant than the others to question Zeus, but prioritizes his friends first and fears separation from them. He ends up brainwashed along with the others, and though they break free he ends up sealed away—his worst fear realized.
- Bishōnen: The most bishonen member of the cast.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: Even though he's a man, Rey is the most feminine angel in the show and the designated cook among them.
- The Heart: He tends to be the one who is either encouraging or worrying over the others.
- An Ice Person: Despite being linked with the Vermillion Bird, he is gifted with ice powers.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: The longest-haired and prettiest in the cast.
- Power Gives You Wings: Rey gets functional wings bestowed on him at the Day of Benediction ceremony as mediated power-up.
- Rapunzel Hair: Purple Rapunzel Hair, at that and yes, it accentuates his femininity.
- Silk Hiding Steel: He comes off as a House Wife but is perfectly competent in a fight and stronger than he seems.
- Stalker with a Crush: To Luca, taking years to work up the courage to introduce himself. It didn't work out too badly for him though.
- Talking in Your Sleep: Young Rey is shown once to not only talk in his sleep, but be clingy and demanding about it. This is sadly unexploited in fanfic.
- Team Chef: He loves to cook and always takes control of the kitchen.
- Team Mom: He tries to fulfil this role, being the cook, The Heart, and the mediator, but occasionally fails thanks to his foil Gai, who is good at bringing out his own immaturity.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Bright purple, in this instance.
Voiced by: Hiroyuki YoshinoKid-Appeal Character of the Saint Beasts, Gai is the most cheerful and optimistic member of the group, and usually also the most immature. He has powerful earth elemental abilities in spite of his small, youthful appearance. He has a strong affinity with cats and likes to use them to prank Rey, usually to his own detriment. In spite of his brashness he does have moments of thoughtfulness and maturity. He's also the most eager to fight and show off. Like the other three he gets brainwashed to turn against their friends and later sealed in stone.
- Big Eater: Whenever there's lots of food around he tends to stock up immediately.
- The Chew Toy: Gai is a bit of a failure as an inventor, a thief, and a prankster, and frequently gets ribbed over his "boorish" attitude. This is all part of his charm.
- Cute Bruiser: He is a bit younger and more immature than the other Saint Beasts, but his earth elemental is very strong and he has no end of energy.
- Dishing Out Dirt: He can manipulate earth, usually leading to the ground breaking underneath enemies, showers of rock, or even creating massive pillars from the ground.
- Foil: Gai is the foil of both Rey and Goh. Where Rey is sensitive, Gai is brash; where Goh is sensible, Gai is instinctual.
- Kid-Appeal Character: He's younger, more energetic, less mature, fun and inquisitive, and has yellow and dark brown hair.
- Multicolored Hair: Blonde with brown tips. While both colours are natural alone they aren't in combination.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: For looking younger and smaller than many of the other angels of his rank, Gai has one of the most powerful elementals in the show.
- Rapunzel Hair: He keeps it tied back in a ponytail for convenience.
- Sticky Fingers: Gai's penchant for stealing the Goddess' earth-viewing mirror is pronounced enough that her bodyguard says they don't really need witnesses anymore to know who stole it.
The Big Bads
Voiced by: Junichi KanemaruThe Big Bad Jerkass God of Heaven, Zeus came to power when he obliterated The Old Gods because they had become too corrupt. He tries to lead the angels on the path of purity, but being anything but pure himself, becomes a hypocritical tyrant, desperate for worship and unwilling to give angels who sin or defy him second chances. Discontent with humans he sends Pandora with a box of chaos to release on the world to punish them for not being peaceful. He imprisons and rapes Judas, crucifies Shin, and traps the others in an Ice Palace for defying him. When they escape he has the quartet brainwashed and banishes Judas and Luca to hell and the quartet Taken for Granite. Then he retires, being really sick of war.
- All Crimes Are Equal: Pandora hints that purging an angel for a one-time minor theft is Disproportionate Retribution. Zeus disagrees.
- Canon Foreigner: Instead of the Goddess of Angel Tales the prominent deity is the newcomer Zeus.
- Broken Pedestal: Considering he is god, he has no shortage of angels who worship and idolize him. Being as horrible as he is, there are also a fair few who have become disillusioned with him, such as Lucifer, Gabriel, and our protagonists.
- Dirty Business: How he regards killing the old gods. By the time he starts the purge he no longer regards his actions as wrong.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Made all the more clear by the Double Standard treatment certain angels get. Shiva leads a demon into heaven to kill Shin and gets a warning. Judas and Luca start a war against Zeus and get banished to hell. Those three angels who happened to be really arrogant? Purged, and their resentful ghosts trapped in a dark pit.
- God-Emperor: Zeus is a Physical God and is treated as the sovereign after he overthrows the other gods.
- Holier Than Thou: Being god and all Zeus considers himself above criticism despite being the most morally bankrupt occupant of heaven and no more holy by nature than any other race.
- Hot God: Zeus is powerful and attractive, albeit in different way than the rest of the pretty-boy cast
- I Did What I Had to Do: Zeus considers killing the old gods as regrettable but necessary action.
- It's All About Me: Zeus intends to lead all the angels along the path of righteousness and anyone who is impure is an affront to his ideal world.
- Jerkass God: It pretty much comes with the name. Although he is worshipped by most of the angels in heaven his selfish, amoral behaviour and slow Sanity Slippage is very clear to the audience.
- Pay Evil unto Evil: Purging the angels is about the worst thing you can do to them, and Zeus does it to make heaven pure.
- Physical God: Zeus has Nigh-Invulnerability, Elemental Powers, Teleportation and a certain degree of reality warping and omniscience.
- Pyrrhic Villainy: After defeating the rebelling angels Zeus is sick of war and decides to retire and go into a long sleep.
- Sanity Slippage: As the series progresses he becomes insane.
- Slowly Slipping Into Evil: It starts with overthrowing the old gods which he feels a measure of regret about, but thanks (in part) to Lucifer, by the time Judas suggests purging the evil angels in heaven Zeus has basically lost it and keeps getting worse.
- The Social Darwinist: He believes that angels who are not "beautiful and strong" are not fit to serve him.
- Utopia Justifies the Means: He intends for heaven to have no sin and to be worshipped by humans and angels alike, so he uses murder and assassination to achieve this ideal.
Voiced by: Show HayamiThe former Number Two and Dragon to Zeus and one of the greatest angels of heaven, Lucifer is banished to hell for his growing opposition, bringing Gabriel and other sympathizers with him. He continually prompts the Saint Beasts to join him, espousing hell as a paradise and trying to lead them to evidence of Zeus' tyranny. Because he uses demons to attack the human population on Earth the main characters eschew his help, but they do end up rebelling like he wants. He is the father of Kira and Maya, and it's entirely possible this taboo is part of why he was kicked out of heaven, despite Zeus fostering his sons afterwards.
- Broken Pedestal: He was a mentor to Judas and Luca, who were crestfallen when he was banished to hell for defying Zeus.
- Fallen Angel: He is Lucifer.
- Good Wings, Evil Wings: Lucifer's are appropriately black.
- Disappeared Dad: To Kira and Maya. He is sent to hell, so there likely wasn't a lot he could do about it.
- Dragon with an Agenda: Lucifer is initially this, clearly having his own motives other than just serving Zeus, but eventually he rebels and tries to take everyone he can with him, leading to a The Good, the Bad, and the Evil situation.
- Expy: He is a black-haired Sephiroth look-alike.
- The Paragon Always Rebels: It comes with the name, but Lucifer goes from being second only to Zeus to the leader of hell. He manages to take Gabriel and some minor angels with him, and later tries to seduce the heroes to his side too.
- Number Two: Lucifer was the only angel allowed to stand by Zeus' side in the early days of his reign.
Voiced by: Kousuke ToriumiA high-rank angel that failed to become part of the Saint Beasts, Shiva's character is mainly defined by his obsession with Judas and his cold arrogance, partially stemming from his fears of inferiority. He is zealous, deceitful, and jealous by nature, but also pitiable for never being able to achieve what he wants. Although he follows Zeus his feelings for Judas are strong enough that he would become a traitor for him.
- Butt Monkey: Shiva's a less-than-stellar example of angelic goodness but he gets a lot of flak from the other characters and rarely gets anything he wants including a coveted position as a Saint Beast. Some fans see him more as The Woobie because he is so unlucky he's empathetic.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Shiva has tried to Murder the Hypotenuse (Shin) in both continuities.
- The Eeyore: Due to being a headstrong, individualistic Butt Monkey and Yandere with an obsessive unrequited crush, he rains on most people's parades.
- Loners Are Freaks: Shiva doesn't want to get close to anyone except Judas and also has a habit of putting down others. He gets treated with suspicion by other angels for his lack of community values.
- Sour Outside, Sad Inside: He's got all of the tsun which covers up his fears of inferiority and frustration at not getting what he wants.
- Stalker with a Crush: Shiva really has it bad for Judas, and spends much of his time spying on him behind trees, rocks, and any available natural feature. His complete and utter failure to get Judas alone for two minutes is mildly comedic.
- The Team Wannabe: Being the only one to not become a Saint Beast was pretty devastating for him. He tries to petition Zeus to expand the Saint Beasts later on, but doesn't succeed because Zeus knows he led a demon into heaven just to get at Shin.
- Yandere: There's not a lot Shiva wouldn't do to get Judas.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Dark purple, which conveys his darker personality in contrast to Rey's lighter shade.
Voiced by: Tomokazu SugitaAn aloof half-angel, half-human with a Big Brother Instinct a mile wide, Kira is the elder son of Lucifer. Subject to bullying and Fantastic Racism since childhood, he is a loner and reluctant to accept the help of others. He can be a jerkass when he wants to be, but has a hidden softer side, most evident when he's dealing with his little brother. Although he was nominated as a Saint Beast candidate he decided to leave heaven with his brother, disliking the political climate and feeling ill-at-ease with the other angels in heaven.
- Big Brother Instinct: Kira attacks anyone who so much as talks to Maya initially. Considering the Fantastic Racism they are usually subject to, this is somewhat justified. It also scares off potential friends.
- The Bully: He is one to Rey, possibly because he always gets a reaction.
- Disappeared Dad/Missing Mom: Lucifer is in hell and their human mother is likely dead. Since most angels don't have parents their upbringing isn't all that different because of it, though.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Half-angel and half-human.
- Ineffectual Loner: He's a loner due to Fantastic Racism, but never became good with people even after meeting angels who accepted him. However, the heroes aren't the kind of people to leave him alone and his aloof behaviour never helps him.
- Living Emotional Crutch: To his brother Maya.
- Jerkass: In part thanks to Loners Are Freaks. His main issue is his aloofness.
- Morality Pet: Maya is his morality pet, as he has a bit of a brother complex.
- Whip It Good: His main weapon is a whip, and matching his vaguely BDSM outfit.
Voiced by: Kenichi SuzumuraA youthful half-angel, half-human and brother to Kira, Maya is emotional and impetuous by nature. He tends to live in the moment and doesn't always stop to consider the rationale behind other's actions. He is equally quick to make friends and to get hurt, and his naiveté is also his charm. Thanks to Fantastic Racism he is desperate to prove himself and hopes to by becoming a Saint Beast, but leaves heaven with his brother on the day of the trial after having the secret of his birth explained to him. Despite having enough power to be nominated as a Saint Beast candidate, he is often a Distressed Dude and Non-Action Guy.
- Bratty Half-Pint: He is the youngest and most immature character on the show. He tends to throw tantrums when things don't go his way, and is often a Distressed Dude.
- Cry into Chest: He does this to Judas after throwing a rock-shattering tantrum over Kira's plan to leave heaven on the day of the trial for the Saint Beast positions.
- Disappeared Dad/Missing Mom: Lucifer is in hell and their human mother is likely dead. Since most angels don't have parents their upbringing isn't all that different because of it, though.
- Fiery Redhead: He has a quick temper.
- Friendless Background: Thanks to Fantastic Racism Maya and his brother grow up in the shrine away from other angels. After he grows up Maya instantly makes friends with Gai who has a similar temperament and no prejudices.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Half-angel and half-human.
- Living Emotional Crutch: To his brother Kira.
- Inelegant Blubbering: Maya's tears tend to go along with full on tantrums. They work really well on his brother.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: He uses them on his brother to strong effect.
Voiced by: Jun FukuyamaA cunning and ambitious angel who becomes the top priest of Zeus, Pandora is something of an enemy to the main group by complicity. He would prefer the Saint Beasts out of the way because that means he gets more of Zeus' attention, but he's not actively evil so much as carrying out evil orders due to self-interest. He's unfailingly polite but in the way that holds implicit condescension and hostility. He has a familiar born of his body named Pearl, which partly motivates him to serve Zeus seeing as Zeus can harm him through it. He strikes up an Odd Friendship with Shiva during the series.
- Attempted Rape: Pandora, who is very beautiful and slight for an angel, gets assaulted in the woods by a group of stronger angels. Fortunately Judas happens to be passing by and flies into a rage when he realizes what's happening.
- The Confidant: His familiar, Pearl, acts as this.
- Distressed Dude: In the aforementioned Attempted Rape example.
- Familiar: Pearl is a squirrel/mouse-like creature created out of Pandora's bones who keeps him company and acts as a guarantor of Pandora's loyalty. If Pandora goes away from the shrine Zeus keeps Pearl and can harm it if Pandora tries defying him, rebounding on Pandora.
- Yes-Man: It's clear he disapproves of some of the things Zeus does, but he'll keep saying "yes" because it means he gets a greater share of Zeus' love.
Voiced by: Yuki KaidaThe second high priest of Zeus, Cassandra is much like Pandora, making them initially friends and inevitably rivals for Zeus' affection. Cassandra is even less humanised than Pandora and is unhappy with being number two. They do tend to work together against the other angels from time to time, both being exceptional at Passive-Aggressive Kombat.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Although many characters have them, Cassandra's are the likely the only meaningful version. They obscure his face and represent his guardedness.
- The Rival: Cassandra's and Pandora's relationship is tense, to say the least.
- With Friends Like These...: Initially Pandora and Cassandra get along, but their rivalry for Zeus' attention turns friendliness into more of a necessary pretence.