open/close all folders
Voiced by: Natsuki Hanae (Japanese), Tyler Galindo (English)The main character, his parents are a light novel artist and an eroge illustrator making his lifestyle of otakuism pretty much genetic. He learned the hardships of being an otaku after confessing to his childhood friend, where she denied him, just because he was an otaku. He was so depressed, that he dropped out of school and became a NEET for a year, before his parents gave him a choice, rejoin society or be disowned. Having little choice, he looked for a job. He found a fishy job for otaku and took it, opening the doors towards his future.
- Berserk Button: Mistreating people based on assumptions, it reminds him a bit too much of his past.
- Blithe Spirit: He inadvertently becomes one, simply by being able to treat people as people.
- Brutal Honesty: The guy can not shut up, this has gotten him in trouble before.
- Childhood Friend Romance: It didn't work.
- Chivalrous Pervert: He'll stare, but he always has their best intentions at heart.
- Genre Savvy: Of course, he had a lifetime of anime and manga to draw on.
- Guile Hero: He has shown to be a good liar when needed.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Shinichi doesn't take it well when he turns out to be an invader to Eldant society after all, even if unwittingly. He goes back to being a shut-in until Miusel breaks him out of it.
- Hikikomori: Was one for some time prior to the series starting, though he's stopped by the first episode due to his parents' ultimatum. Uses his knowledge and experience of it to connect with Petralka after she gets stressed out and locks herself in her room for an entire day.
- I Know Mortal Kombat: He reacts to well to the magical alternative world due to reading so much fantasy
- My God, What Have I Done?: A comedic example in episode 5, after teaching the kids about anime and manga. Then Fandom Rivalry is created much to his shock. A more serious case when he realizes that the government is using him, and that he is actually an invader.
- NEET / Hikikomori: He was one for a year.
- Nice Guy: The nicest guy in the series.
- Non-Action Guy: Due to all the ActionGirls around him, though, it's not a problem.
- Oblivious to Love: Zigzagged, he notices Miusel's feelings, but has no idea of Petralka's.
- Otaku: Obviously. And a very well versed one too.
- Platonic Life Partners: Him and Minori, although he is attracted to her, he has never shown any romantic emotions for her. And the same for her, but they are very close.
- Shout-Out: He has made a few, makes sense as he is an otaku.
- Squee!: How he reacts to the girls of his harem when he first meets them.
- Unwitting Pawn: For the Japanese government.
Voiced by: Maaya Uchida (Japanese), Genevieve Simmons (English)Another one of the ambassadors from Japan, assigned to serve as both a bodyguard and an advisor for Shinichi. She's generally the realist to Shinichi's idealist, and a fujoshi.
- Action Girl: In episode 3, once Shinichi gets her a knife hidden inside her bosom, she is able to free herself from the ropes the terrorists used. She then proceeds to single-handedly stop almost every one of the terrorists.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She is normally easygoing. But if you threaten Shinichi, or take lewd pictures, beware...
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: She doesn't seem so at first. But we see she is obsessed with BL, yet is still a competent member of the JSDF.
- Deadpan Snarker: She has the tendency to snark when Shinichi is staring at her breasts.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Episode 6, when Elbia takes her special soccer ball. She tries to shoot Elbia, Shinichi even points out; she might hit the soccer ball. Minori doesn't care.
- Flash Step: Her movements in fighting can tend to cause her to do this.
- Gag Boobs: Which results in...
- Boobs of Steel: On yeah.
- Hot Teacher: She is also a teacher at Shinichi's school.
- My Eyes Are Up Here: Gets annoyed at Shinichi, when she catches him staring at her breasts in the Beach Episode.
- Pervert Revenge Mode: Subverted, in episode 10 Shinichi feels her breasts. While not happy, she does not touch him. (Not on screen anyway. He DOES sport a rather hand shaped red mark in a later scene.) Those peeping soldiers on the other hand...
- Platonic Life Partners: Her and Shinichi, she has never shown any romantic emotions for him. But they are very close and spend most of their day together.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: She does this occasionally, such as to the Japanese soldiers who were taking discreet pictures of the girls in episode 9.
- Shipper on Deck: For Shinichi and Garius. When she first mentions this in episode 3, Garius, instead of denying it like Shinichi, blushes instead at the thought of it.
- Trigger Happy: Has the tendency to use her gun to calm an argument.
- Yaoi Fangirl: She doesn't hide it either.
Voiced by: Keiji Fujiwara (Japanese), Andy McAvin (English)
- Affably Evil: Comes up in episode 11, where he calmly explains his intent to subjugate Eldant society by monopolizing the supply of otaku culture, and cruelly pointing out to Shinichi that he was nothing more than an expendable tool of the Japanese government. Despite this, he maintains an amicable tone and bears no ill will towards Shinichi until the end of the episode, when Shinichi decides to Take a Third Option.
- Cunning Linguist: He is able to save Shinichi's neck by convincing the queen that 'little girl' has a positive connotation.
- Eyes Always Shut: Until Shinichi tries to Take The Third Option. Then he opens them to reveal his Dull Eyes of Unhappiness.
- Just Following Orders: When attempts are made on Shinichi's life, Matoba seems to make empty excuses on behalf of Japan's government. However, he does help Shinichi goad the superior to threaten him within earshot of Petralka, leaving the viewers to believe that despite Matoba's intentions, he ultimately falls under this trope.
- Punch Clock Villain: He just works for the government, which is trying to take over Eldant. He does actually like Shinichi
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Not as much of a Corrupt Corporate Executive as you would expect him to be, but not quite a Benevolent Boss either.
Voiced by: Suzuko Mimori (Japanese), Juliet Simmons (English)A half-elf maid assigned to help take care of Shinichi.
- The Ace: Miusel has been said and proven to be exceptional in her ability to use magic. She is also incredibly competent at housework and has shown to have absorbed the Japanese language at an exceptional pace. In episode 7, she learns how to make omelet rice - complete with a character drawing using ketchup - after seeing it just once at Akihabara.
- Action Girl: She's actually a skilled mage. It turns out that the maids are actually an elite fighting force.
- Apologises a Lot: She has apologized to Shinichi a lot, often when she feels that she may have overstepped her boundaries and is causing trouble for him.
- Badass Adorable: Miusel may be just a cute maid now, but her elven heritage allows her to use powerful magic, and she's even a military veteran. She obliterates a squad of terrorists with a blast of wind in the next episode.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: As a half-elf, she got the worse treatment. Shinichi was the only person that treated her any real respect. So she fell in love with him.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: She actually ties her twin tail hairstyle to expose her elfin ears in later episodes. This happened after Shinichi stated he did not mind her ears being different.
- Freakiness Shame: When Shinichi first spots her elf ears, he's taken aback by it. She immediately apologizes, thinking he'd be upset by it, as half-breeds like her are looked down upon. But he instead finds them quite attractive.
- Hidden Buxom: It's surprising, but Miusel's actually quite stacked underneath that maid outfit of hers.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: she's Shinichi's subordinate and is substantially more badass than he is.
- Madness Mantra: After finding out that Shinichi was staying at Petralka estate for the night. She completely loses it. It ends with her stirring a burnt pot muttering "I'm sorry, please wait a little longer."
- Mundane Object Amazement: Does this a few times when she visits Japan, with things like faucets ("There isn't a fairy pumping the water for you?!") and automated train ticket gates.
- Shout-Out: Her design is quite similar to Shirley's costume for the maid cafe in the school festival in Turn 5 of Code Geass R2.
- Taking the Bullet: She takes a knife for Petralka, and miraculously survives.
- Together in Death: She is willing to do this in episode 12, luckily she does not need to.
- Undying Loyalty: She has it the strongest towards Shinichi. Willing to abandon her world for him, though. It gets to the point, if she cannot save him, she is willing to die with him.
Petralka Anne Eldant the Third
- The Ace: Petralka has shown to have quickly grasped the Japanese language, easily reciting a tongue twister (twice, no less) without the help of her ring.
- A-Cup Angst:
- She tends to give Shinichi a leery look whenever he fawns over girls who are obviously much more well-endowed than she is.
- In episode 6, one of her first comments upon suggesting that Shinichi gets a new maid to help Miusel if she teaches at school is to sarcastically ask if he wants "another large-breasted maid".
- Attention Whore: Petralka usually demands attention from Shinichi, and only him.
- Character Development: She soon gets over the Fantastic Racism she initially displayed.
- A Child Shall Lead Them: Actually a teenager but still the same. She ascended the throne a while ago, so she was this at one point.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Absolutely despises Miusel at first due to how close the latter seems to Shinichi. Made worse by the fact that she views the latter as a lowly peasant, so, therefore, shouldn't be getting preferential treatment by him, such as learning Japanese. In one example, when first reading a manga to the girls, Petralka deliberately has Miusel go make tea. She then proceeds to sit on his lap, claiming she couldn't see the manga very well from the side. She also gets irritated when Elbia first shows up, and how much of a defense he's putting up to spare her life.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Towards Myucel, in particular, after the half-elf's Near-Death Experience.
- Establishing Character Moment: When she is first introduced, Petralka welcomes Shinichi to Eldant. When Shinichi calls Petralka a "little girl", however, she immediately gets provoked and punches him, and she is restrained from attacking him.
- Green-Eyed Monster: She does not like how an elf can beat her out for Shinichi's affection.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Pretty much anything will make her lose her temper.
- Hikikomori: For approximately one episode.
- The Napoleon: Didn't take to being called a "little girl" well the first time round.
- Royal Brat: Starts out appearing to be one, but it becomes apparent that her bratty behavior is in response to the stress of being crowned empress at such a young age and never being given time to relax and have fun.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: She's seen doing her job from time to time, when not goofing off around Shinichi.
- She's Got Legs: Despite her short size, her dress emphasizes her legs, particularly when she's sitting on her throne.
- Token Mini-Moe: Fills the role.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Petralka after Myucel took a knife for her is much kinder to Myucel and seems to have abandoned her racism.
- Tsundere: Invoked (not that she really needs to). She actually tries to play this up in an attempt to appeal to Shinichi.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Purple hair.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A
Galius En Cordbal
- Ambiguously Gay: He's attracted to Shinichi. He blushes when Minori says he would be the uke in Shinichi x Galius pairing, he borrows a BL book from Minori later on and claims he doesn't "bat for both teams", and after Petralka eats rice off of Shinichi's face, he follows suit.
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards Petralka
- Converted Fanboy: Dismissive of Shinichi's mission at first, then comes around to enjoying it. His favorite character is "Seiryuu" Kururugi, who bears something of a resemblance to his crush, Shinichi... not to mention the similarities between the main character's Royally Screwed Up family and his own...
- Dark and Troubled Past: His parents and Petralka's killed each other for the throne, and their grandparents died of grief. Petralka ascended the throne, and he downplays his royal status so that such a struggle won't come about again.
- The Good Chancellor: for Petralka, his cousin
- Warrior Prince: Technically a prince, since he is the grandson of the previous emperor. His parents and Petralka's killed each other for the throne.
Another servant assigned to take care of Shinichi. He's a blue lizard man and is also very civilized.
- Friend to All Children: He apparently hangs out with the lizard and elf children being trained to serve as soldiers when they have the time.
- Gentle Giant: He looks very imposing due to his large size. However, he's quite a Nice Guy if you can get past the exterior as Shinichi finds out.
- Nice Guy: At one point, after being found by Shinichi in his room, the latter swings his fists wildly in a lame attempt to defend himself. Brooke then gives him a stick if Shinichi was inclined to beat him.
- Scary Big Lizard: Invoked by Shinichi during his first few meetings since the latter doesn't have much experience with giant lizard men on Earth.
- Undying Loyalty: Not to the same extent as Miusel, but its there.
Voiced by: Sumire Uesaka (Japanese), Sarah Ornelas (English)A werewolf who was initially recruited by a rival kingdom to spy on Eldant.
- Apologises a Lot: More due to the fact that she constantly falls victim to her natural animalistic tendencies and causing trouble than any other reason.
- Cute Monster Girl: So cute that its Shinichi's only real reason to save her.
- Forgets To Sleep: She loves to draw, that Shinichi says she has the tendency to spend all night drawing.
- Gag Boobs: The largest in the series.
- And has Boobs of Steel.
- The Glomp: She has a tendency to glomp Shinichi whenever he makes a statement about not minding her race.
- I Know Mortal Kombat: Uses a fighting move she saw in a manga to blow a window to pieces.
- Moment Killer: Tells Shinichi he has an audience with Petralka while he is trying to confess to Miusel.
- My Instincts Are Showing: During the full moon, she has a tendency to forget herself and act much more doglike, like jumping on Shinichi and licking his face when she's happy or chasing a ball on all fours while barking.
- Super Senses: As she is a werewolf, her sense of smell is better than any humans.
One of the many dwarven students Shinichi and co. teach.